The AFL Thread Proudly Sponsoring Patrick Dangerfield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought the reaction was justified after yet another poor finals performance. We have not won consecutive finals matches since '98.

You have to demand better than this. 'Well, at least we didn't win the wooden spoon' is ultimately an unhelpful view if you want your team to win the premiership at some point in your lifetime.

Actually, in terms of your lifetime, your team has already won more premierships than mine. Cold comfort perhaps, but be fucking glad you made it two weeks into September rather than having the last four seasons my club has had.

It's hard to be glad when the club repeats the same mistakes over and over again, especially when other clubs overtake us (see Bulldogs).

You know, mistakes that get you two weeks into September clearly aren't that big a deal. I know you insist on the most pessimistic interpretation, but it's obvious the team has talent and ability and plays a kind of football that is enjoyable to watch.

Ax it took me way longer than I care to admit but he really is trolling the two of us nearly all the time in this thread.

I'd be bitterly disappointed as a Crows fan but facing up to Sydney at the SCG is a really fucking tough ask. Strangely though, I have a hard time hating the Swans, which is ridiculous given the insanity that is picking up Tippett and Buddy in successive trade periods... but I'll probably change my tune if they win the flag by 60 and then dominate 2017.

I'm extremely angry that GWS get a home prelim in a ground with smaller capacity than ours (when there's starved 70,000 Bulldogs fans who are going to miss out). The Swans are also way under the odds at $2.40, not sure how we are favourites by that much. Hopefully we can pull off a miracle and then I'll back us pretty strongly to win the GF, though I'd rather play GWS as it will be hard to see the Dogs lose a GF.

I've never been to Geelong, though I cannot understand the poor reputation it seems to have as a town. Sure, it has that guy who had a six pack surgically implanted on his stomach as a mayor, but it can't all be that bad.

Ax is somewhat right in labelling it a hole. I can't envisage the next time I will be there.

I'm extremely angry that GWS get a home prelim in a ground with smaller capacity than ours (when there's starved 70,000 Bulldogs fans who are going to miss out). The Swans are also way under the odds at $2.40, not sure how we are favourites by that much. Hopefully we can pull off a miracle and then I'll back us pretty strongly to win the GF, though I'd rather play GWS as it will be hard to see the Dogs lose a GF.

Maybe Spotless wasn't such a bad idea:

The AFL was right after all.

Fears Sydney's Spotless Stadium wouldn't be big enough for the legions of Western Bulldogs fans desperate to see their team in this Saturday's preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney did not materialise.

However Bulldogs president Peter Gordon's wish to pack the stadium with red, white and blue has at least in part eventuated, with Bulldogs members out-buying their Giants counterparts on Monday. The league said that 8100 tickets were purchased by Dogs members, with just 6200 accessed by the home-town Giants. The 4600 tickets that remained unsold after Giants, Bulldogs and ANZ Stadium members' priority windows ended went on sale at 2pm on Monday, with 1800 still available at the close of business.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...tickets-than-gws-members-20160919-grjsky.html

Maybe it's my rugby background speaking but I'm firmly of the view that if you qualify higher you get to play at your home ground no matter what, even if it's smaller. That's your reward for qualifying ahead of your opponent. The only time any final should be played elsewhere is if the home team elects to move it - which at the moment really would only happen if a Melbourne-based team with Etihad as a nominal home ground chooses the MCG. Perhaps in the future a more popular GWS could request the SCG or Homebush if they desired. I know it's never going to happen, especially not a grand final, and I admit some attachment to the MCG tradition there. Though if this ends up being a Swans vs Giants final (oh god I hope not), the MCG will be half empty!

And I thought one of the reasons Geelong didn't get a home game against Hawthorn in the QF was on account of works happening at Kardinia?

That might have been a story, but it's a moot reason. We will never, ever be given a Kardinia final against Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon or Hawthorn.

I'm thrilled with how these finals have shaken out. No matter what happens this weekend, one of the Giants and Doggies will have a shot at being, at absolute worst, runners up with great potential to be right back there in 2017. Plus, no Hawks. A refreshing change all around.

I'd be thrilled if we weren't at risk of an all-NSW grand final! :lol:

So Jobe is going to play on.

I'd just like to laugh at all the people who thought that Essendon had seen the last of most/all of the twelve suspended players. Ten of the twelve have come back. Only Hibberd has requested a trade, to follow Simon Goodwin to Melbourne, and Tayte Pears has retired (I can't imagine we'll miss him).

Next year is the first season for a while that actually looks reasonably bright, and ought to look even brighter after the draft.

This is more than I hoped for. There might need to be an ambulance waiting nearby for Lingy.

Fuck Sydney with a flying fucking duck.

And yes Lingy is dead inside.

How can you go for Sydney Vlad? WTF? Is it just Dangerfield?

Anyway, this is depressing as all hell. At least Grand Final Week I can relax and enjoy it.

In which case I'll be supporting GWS, but god I hope not.

On Jobe: I'm thrilled he's coming back. I really thought he was gone for good. Will be interesting to watch the Dons next year. Also, nice hat he wore during the presser.

How can you go for Sydney Vlad? WTF? Is it just Dangerfield?

Anyway, this is depressing as all hell. At least Grand Final Week I can relax and enjoy it.

General hype + fawning over Danger by the AFL (and his own general narcissism), puff pieces on him and how amazing he is every other week, Geelong as a football team in general and their countless fans in the football media, Lingy etc.

No doubt I'll take GWS over the fucking Swans.

What worries me is that I suspect GWS are much more likely to beat Sydney than the Dogs.

And yes, A+ to Jobe. Apparently the hat was a nod to Scott Gimbleton's girlfriend, who played a big role in his decision to return. Or at least that's what I read earlier on... the Age I think.

Lingy cheerleads so much for suspensions.

EDIT: How good was Easton Wood's speccie!

This game is an absolute classic, a reminder after last night's dirge that finals footy is the best thing.

Carn the Doggies!

Never mind edge of your seat; I can't even sit down. This is epic.

Classic match.

But I want to say that Toby McLean is as bit as bad a ducker as Joel Selwood is, it's disgusting.

Sometimes sporting fairytales do come true. I hope the Dogs write one more chapter next week.

Still calming down after that final quarter BOY OH BOY WOWEE.

It's a very popular opinion nowadays, bloody hell, even the commentators were making note of it!

I'm just pointing out that you like to complain and bring down the moment.

Back
Top Bottom