The 2015 rugby union thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #31
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:11 PM
OK I am getting totally excited about the Rugby World Cup beginning mid-September. Nobody in Melbourne gets it, I swear to god. Honestly though that's possibly a good thing. Being an All Blacks fan at a Queensland high school during the 2003 Cup wasn't the best experience of my life.

But oh fuck me how am I going to manage all these early mornings? Between World Cup games and covering U2 shows in Europe I'm going to die. Fucking timezones.

CARN THE ALL BLACKS.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 PM
I'll be looking forward to this. The rugby WCs are always exciting. Still have memories of being an 8 year old and despairing at the sight of Jonny Wilkinson shaping to take a kick.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #33
45:33

Johnny Wilkinson poking out his arse is literally the only memory of union I have.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 08-31-2015, 10:03 AM   #34
Vocal parasite

Thank god Jonny Wilkinson and his pokey-arse goalkicking saved us from a Wallabies WC victory in 2003.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

That Mortlock intercept try in the semi(?) against NZ was the best though.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #36
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
That Mortlock intercept try in the semi(?) against NZ was the best though.
I still have traumatic flashbacks about this.

Not as badly as I do about that 2007 quarter final though.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

I don't even remember what happened in 2007.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 AM   #38
Vocal parasite

New Zealand lost the quarter final to France (the only time we haven't made it to at least the semis). We lost by two points after the referee missed a forward pass and awarded a try to France.

But that's not what aggravates me the most. It was our own fault we lost. We were so confident of making the semis that we did not select our absolute best team. It's a fucking sudden death game! You can't rest a single first-choice player! I am sure that had the selectors not been such cocky, self-assured idiots, we would've scored sufficient points to neutralise the ref's shocking call.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #39

I recall the 03 World Cup being huge. Everyone was into it. I still remember watching Australia play Argentina at a mate's place and staying over.

But aside from that I have zero memories of union. Hopefully this WC picks things up again. I do generally enjoy it more than league.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Rugby? What the f*ck is this shit?
Old 09-03-2015, 03:08 AM   #41

A poor excuse for football.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:53 AM   #42
Vocal parasite

You're both just bitter because my country flogs the shit out of both of yours at rugby.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #43
Vocal parasite

There's a good article on the Guardian about the All Blacks and rugby in New Zealand: The making of an All Black: how New Zealand sustains its rugby dynasty | Sport | The Guardian

But I post because it linked to this unbelievable video. I didn't watch this game live (on account of being well and truly asleep!) and thank god I did not. I can barely watch this video even though I know the final outcome, I'm on the edge of my fucking seat. I don't think I would've coped live. Keep in mind we had (spoiler: have) never lost to Ireland and we were aiming to be the first team in the professional era to go through a season undefeated:

Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 PM   #44
Vocal parasite

Come on people, get into this thread, it's World Cup time! And watch that awesome video in my last post.

I didn't stay up to watch the first game, but it sounds like the scoreline flattered the Poms in the end, with Fiji missing a heap of kicks. England are going to need to turn it on in more than just fits and starts if they want to ensure they get out of the group of death, but picking up a bonus point is going to be immensely valuable.

I really am frustrated by the timing of some of these games. Fortunately most All Blacks games are at 5-6am Aussie time, but the most significant of our pool games - against Argentina in a couple of days - is at bloody 1:45am. In general there are a whole bunch of games I'm not that fussed about at 5-6am and all the big ones I want to see are at around 2am. Ugh. These tournaments are meant to be scheduled around my needs, damnit. Me, Bender!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Is it even on FTA TV here? If so, I'm there.

Tags
all blacks, new zealand, rugby, rugby world cup, super rugby, wellington hurricanes