The 2014 AFL Thread with Wankard and Big Mummy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as I saw your reply listed in LS I knew it was going to be something Cobblerific.

It came from the Cobbler Cannons Footy Thread Factory.

I seem to have completely forgotten about Akermanis' homophobia, and just him in general.

It's a shame Aker's career ended in the way it did, what with him being such a twat, because in the early 2000s he was a truly incredible player. Now when I think of him I just think of a dickhead, not of one of the most exciting footballers I've seen play.

Yeah, same - and unfortunately, I feel the same about Carey and Cuz now, and they are absolutely two of the best players I've ever seen.

After Wankard's speccy on the weekend, I went down the Youtube rabbit hole and watched a shitload of screamers over the years, and I really think we take for granted just how amazing they are. You've got entire crowds standing up and cheering after, regardless of the side who took it. Also, I gotta say that a lot of our modern hangers compare favourably to some of those from yesteryear that were instantly declared of legendary status - Modra, Jezza and Ablett's grabs just aren't as pleasing to watch as the big ones by Walker, NicNat and Jurrah, imo. (still nothing tops Moorcroft though, even if Brad Johnson is 3 feet tall).

10 minutes well spent!!!!

The speccy is the best thing about the sport I reckon. I could watch some of Modra and Burton's hangers again and again. Jeremy Howe is the best going around at the moment, but Walker is up there with the best of all time, for me.

And then there was Ablett's "mark" against Collingwood over Gary Pert in 1994. Regardless as to whether it should have or should not have been paid, how on earth did he get on top of his shoulders?! Incredible leap.

The speccy is one of many things that make Aussie Rules by a fucking mile the best sport in the world. The only thing I can think of in any sport that is as attractive is a cover drive.

hey Inte how do you feel about Heart changing to Melbourne City? seems like an embarrassing kowtow to Man City to me. I get there's a connection now but surely they could have stayed as Heart.

hey Inte how do you feel about Heart changing to Melbourne City? seems like an embarrassing kowtow to Man City to me. I get there's a connection now but surely they could have stayed as Heart.

The costs outweigh the benefits I think. Even though I am fierce Victory, I have great admiration for the way Heart has been run since their entry into the league. They managed themselves pretty well financially, had done an incredible job at branding themselves (as the Johnny-come-lately after Victory), and have an impressive core of 7000 members, despite very minimal success on the field. The derbies (at AAMI Park) have been incredible spectating experiences, and Heart play their part.

But the Man City ownership is definitely a positive thing for the club. Villa will be playing for them! As a four year old club, the name change won't hurt too much, but I think Man City's rashness to change the colours is a bit much. A happy compromise could have been met, a white strip with a red stripe and a sky blue stripe, with the club rebadged Melbourne City HFC. The fans were extremely active in resisting the change of colours towards the tail end of last season, and distributed signs and held up banners protesting against the rebrand. It is a massive risk on Man City's part to piss of these fans, who rock up every week.

They seem to have taken the rebranding quite well though. The logo looks atrocious, drawing from the City of Melbourne crest, makes them look like a bunch of monarchists with an English-ethnic streak.

Should be an interesting season. The first derby will be massive.

10 minutes well spent!!!!

The speccy is the best thing about the sport I reckon. I could watch some of Modra and Burton's hangers again and again. Jeremy Howe is the best going around at the moment, but Walker is up there with the best of all time, for me.

And then there was Ablett's "mark" against Collingwood over Gary Pert in 1994. Regardless as to whether it should have or should not have been paid, how on earth did he get on top of his shoulders?! Incredible leap.

Agreed, and how could I forget about Burton's 09 hanger against Carlton? Absolutely one of the best I've ever seen, had it all.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't think Ablett's should count as a mark - impressive all the same, but he was only controlling it for a split second. Still, it 20 odd years ago so who cares.

Moorcroft, Shaun Smith and either Burton or Sampi top 3 for me.

6ft isn't particularly short though, not even close.

Nobody has made a BT compilation video and that makes me sad.

I know, I'm jus playing.

I think this is what we're all looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Vk1UqHnJo

Wouldn't it be better if they just decided to take the hit now? Dragging it out will not make things any better.

I don't even see why this is still dragging on. The club has already been punished. Need this circus continue? It makes it very hard to simply enjoy sport as the recreation and pleasurable diversion it is meant to be. I think it's particularly absurd to punish the players, who were misinformed and misled about what they were taking. Punish the doctors, the coaching staff, the club officials, and the ASADA officials who signed off on it, come down on them like a tonne of bricks, but punishing players for trusting their coaching and medical staff (like we trust our own doctors) is ridiculous.

I am so not interested in this doping shit anymore.

Gonna miss Glassy, absolute champ of the club. And so modest!

Adelaide free to air TV isn't playing the game of the round tomorrow, even though there's an Adelaide team playing. I guess the North/☭elaide game should be entertaining, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom