The 2011 AFL Thread: *insert desired expletives here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but after the Crows 20th anniversary game registered less than 45k (and really should have gotten close to 50k), I think there could be a problem in general. Not a blight on either side, just an observation. I'm not about to get all Rucci panicky on you, though, or write some hyperbole about people moving to soccer. Considering the poorly performing teams and the stadium fiasco, it makes sense.

A few days back I saw some statistics regarding the average attendance of every Adelaide game since inception. I was incredibly surprised to see that the mid-00s registered an average of 42,000 or so a game. The mid-00s don't even seem that long ago. I still remember the 2005/06 seasons vividly and I could probably note something on each of our games during 2005 off the top of my head.

Meanwhile most other codes wish they could get "only" 33,000 to a regular season fixture. :lol:

I say this as somebody for whom live sport is not usually high on the agenda, but then I guess I'm a special case. No doubt it's more fun if you can, well, see it properly. That said I thoroughly enjoyed the AFL games I've been to see live, and I dig a day out at the cricket.

How're the crowds like in the NRL? I've seen figures of 8-10,000 pretty often myself.

NRL stadiums are much smaller, seating-wise, so it's unfair when AFL media attack the small crowds. But generally their crowds have been somewhat disappointing. It was part of the reason their grand final became a night game, something I hope I never live to see in the AFL.

AFL's crowds are whopping. I think the only sporting leagues above it are USA Gridiron (60,000 average), German Bundesliga (40,000) and that might be it. Not bad for a sport only played in and properly popular in four states of a country with a wee population.

NRL average about 15,000 I think, although there is a still a lot of suburban-ness about some of the stadia. That said, I remember the NRL got very excited a year or so ago when a match between two of those Sydney sides attracted 30,000.

33,000 for a Showdown is pathetic and would have been unthinkable a decade ago. There must be something wrong in SA at the moment with the marketing, although interestingly, haven't SANFL crowds been steadily rising over the past 4 or 5 seasons?

33,000 for a Showdown is pathetic and would have been unthinkable a decade ago. There must be something wrong in SA at the moment with the marketing, although interestingly, haven't SANFL crowds been steadily rising over the past 4 or 5 seasons?

Eh, can't really tell. SANFL crowds normally hover around 4-5000, however, a few years ago Glenelg managed to get a crowd of 10,000 onto its puny oval.

to be honest, the afl is an anomaly when it comes to crowds. very few sporting leagues in the world surpass the afl in attendance figures.

Yeah, this was my point (which makes it all the more hilarious when the AFL frets about TV coverage reducing its attendance).

When I made my post, I was mainly thinking about a comparison with rugby in New Zealand ... who goes to the NPC now? Super Rugby stadiums aren't exactly bursting at the seams. And not even every All Blacks game sells out. Now sure, New Zealand as a whole is a small market, but I think you can make a fair comparison between rugby attendance in Auckland, Wellington, or Christchurch and AFL attendance in Adelaide or Perth.

There are a lot of things wrong in SA at the moment as far as AFL goes. SANFL crowds and memberships have definitely risen, even over the past year (I read recently that Norwood is getting a few thousand more per game at Coopers stadium than last season). As mentioned before, the stadium fiasco is a huge thing - people really don't feel that Footy Park is worth travelling to anymore, and most folk really just want Adelaide Oval for AFL as soon as possible. And considering that isn't even a done deal, and still wouldn't happen until 2014, that's a pretty nasty sign of what could still come. I think there's also a situation in the demographics, in that people from 20-29 here are less interested in the AFL than ever - I admit that I don't have any stats to back up with there, but it's been theorised a fair bit by the media. There's also a rise in parochialism - the sense of the "expanded VFL", the Crows are manufactured, Port are a rabble, our best players are all interstate, the AFL doesn't care about us blah blah blah and so forth, which is why so many people are shifting back to the SANFL. I doubt the AFL's constant fiddling around with the rules and assfucking about in NSW and QLD helps either.

You can't blame it entirely on team performances, whenever WA teams are under performing, the crowds are still larger than they are now in SA, and in a smaller stadium no less. The situation here might well be exaggerated, but it's definitely going to raise alarm bells for Demetriou sooner rather than later.

Yeah I read about that today. How disgusting. Must be a few bricks short of a house.

That's pretty concerning about AFL in SA if you what you say is true... why the apathy for AAMI? is it further from the city than FP?

AAMI is well outside the CBD. It's very close to the coast while the CBD is further inland, if that helps. There are problems with parking and traffic around that way although I don't have any vitriolic feelings towards the stadium.

Oh, and I'll be going to my second AFL game against St. Kilda in over a week's time. I know, it's sad. :(

I thought that. Aren't Football Park and AAMI Stadium the same thing? Or is that what the Adelaide Oval is being renamed?

:confusion:

Btw, I had 6 winners this week. Didn't get the draw though :wink:

Football Park = AAMI Stadium.

Adelaide Oval = Adelaide Oval.

There. Done.

yeah not sure why i got Footy Park & Adelaide Oval mixed up.

vlad - 5/25
cobl04 - 5/22
axver - 5/21
bonnie - 4/20
inte - 4/19
danny - 6/18

St Kilda vs Brisbane
Port vs Gold Coast - I'm now very confident they won't win a game
Carlton vs Adelaide
North vs Richmond - I hope
Essendon vs Collingwood
Fremantle
vs Bulldogs
Hawthorn vs Geelong

St Kilda
Port (I'm still mightily tempted to pick GC, remember when I tipped the heavy underdogs in Richmond last year when nobody else did? Yeah, they won :wink:)
Carlton :(
North
Collingwood
Fremantle
Geelong

That thread on BF is devastating, the bloke is pretty damn inspirational, though. Always something that comes out of people when they're staring death in the face. If/when I get cancer, I hope I can face it with half the courage he did. Check out this blog by Nick Maxwell for more: Football & Life OR Life & Football??? | Nick Maxwell

On the other side of things, this thread is fucking hilarious. Anyone got the game yet?

St Kilda vs Brisbane
Port vs Gold Coast
Carlton vs Adelaide
North vs Richmond
Essendon vs Collingwood
Fremantle vs Bulldogs
Hawthorn vs Geelong

I understand SA's apathy towards the AFL in the sense it represents an expanded VFL (and hence a threat to SA's footy culture), but for such a sentiment to re-emerge after being seemingly stagnant 10 years ago is a pretty remarkable thing. There's a part of me that would love to see this sentiment strengthen. Would love to see Demetriou struggle with it.

We'll see what happens, but the banners over the seats caper is a pretty extraordinary thing to see.

Tips:

StK
Coll
Hawk
Rich
Port Power
Carlton
Freo

St Kilda vs Brisbane (honestly I'd pick Brisbane if it were a home game)
Port vs Gold Coast (but it'll be the Suns' closest loss yet)
Carlton vs Adelaide
Kangaroos vs Richmond (please?)
Essendon vs Collingwood (not too one-eyed a Bombers fan yet)
Freo vs Dogs
Hawthorn vs Geelong

Banyule U13s footy club on The Footy Show... one of the kids is an absolute natural in front of the camera. Brilliant.

Love how JB extends people's names. "Chaswick", "Gareth", "Brycington/Brycelet"

Is bigfooty thread about the AFL game?

I got it on ps3. It's pretty cool just having an AFL game on the latest consoles. If you can get past a few weird things that happen, and how the graphics still look ps2-ey it's not so bad!

St Kilda vs Brisbane (honestly I'd pick Brisbane if it were a home game)

Dude, its at the Gabba!

St.Kilda - Should have the class, Brisbane can pinch this one cause its at the Gabba and honestly could be sitting at 2-1 instead of 0-3. Saints have had a week to go soul searching, so they should be up and firing!
Port - By 10 goals +
Carlton
Richmond - If North Do actually lose this one, they are screwed and will have to just fucking deal with it that they are no good, and have to take time to develop!
Collingwood - Gonna be a hell of match this one. Won't be the least surprise if Essendon can run us off our feet and steal this one. Its gonna be a cracking game.
Fremantle - Should be too good.
Hawthorn - I'm not yet sold either team are going to be world beaters yet. I would so much prefer Geelong to win, but my head says Hawthorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom