The 2011 AFL Thread: *insert desired expletives here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck you Bomber "burnt out" Thompson.

Yeah you may have coached us to two flags but your demeanour for much of this year was shithouse and the way you have ended your association with Geelong is nothing short of disgraceful.

Cats to beat Dons by 10 goals next year.

Yeah you may have coached us to two flags but your demeanour for much of this year was shithouse and the way you have ended your association with Geelong is nothing short of disgraceful.

Bookmarked. ;)

Don't worry, he'll always be Bomber "eating sandwich while cats thrash eagles" Thompson to me.

I understand your anger, I'd be doing it if Woosha did something like this (though he has no other club allegiances) but I'm sure you'll find it in your heart to forgive him. I mean, he's Bomber.

I would say "sorry, Danny", but it'd be with a grin on my face.

the gws giants - a part time canberra team representing western sydney in northern territory colours with a gold coast/tweed name.

haha, pretty spot on.

What a disastrous branding exercise. What were they thinking? It's hard enough to get Sydneysiders interested in the sport, let alone this grotesque and irrelevant brand that will surely struggle to resonate with the market they are trying to target.

Giants? Why?

The link between the club's colours of charcoal and orange and the natural heritage of Western Sydney is tenuous, and probably meaningless to West Sydneysiders.

And Blue is the away strip? A completely different colour. Just wear sky blue as the dominant colour, at least it's already got an established link with NSW sport, as well as being unused in AFL.

Strange decisions on the part of the club's founders.

I think I saw that logo on the side of a high speed train from the 1930s.

I think I saw that logo on the side of a high speed train from the 1930s.
apt. they should have called themselves rovers or wanderers....although the a-league team beat them to it. we're western sydney, we're canberra, we're two different grounds at homebush bay, we're blacktown, we're darwin...

meanwhile...

32525386 on Vimeo

god, what a disaster! at 1:52 they show highlights of the big time - by showing fremantle. it's also interesting they deliberately target groups not interested in football - suits, hot uni chicks, muslims and definite westies.

and come on, if you're going to claim western sydney, isn't it a bit of a cheat to still show the harbour bridge, regardless of the direction the camera faces?

meanwhile, i actually do like the strip. it's just for the wrong team in the wrong city in the wrong state.

Christ, that's a heapashit. What are they trying to prove by having a bunch of suits cross their arms as soon as the camera aims in on them? And if the vast majority of Sikhs and Muslims aren't interested in footy here or in Melbourne, they sure as hell won't be in WS... shit, sorry, GWS.

I also don't mind the colours and the strip (even if the logo's heinous and I don't like having two new clubs following the single flat colour with a central logo guernsey scheme - you need a really timeless decoration like Carlton's to make that work) - I just see them for an ACT or NT club instead.

Also gotta wonder if they only decided on this after SF won the World Series. I don't see how the Gold Coast can't be the Sharks but GWS can practically steal the identity of a far more famous sporting club.

Funny video.. hilarious branding.

What's Paul Kelly doing there, favourite son of the club destined to become the Giants' fiercest rival?

I don't mind the guernsey design either, but apparently that's just the one that they'll wear next year and they'll use a different design upon entering the AFL in 2012.

Sky blue, Interference blue would have made much more sense

now to add my two cents.

i don't mind the guernsey but the nickname is horrendous. all the other nicknames in our game have their own history (and Suns is fine). the "Giants" nickname is synonymous with America and as someone said, "why don't just call them the Yankees and be done with it?"

my other issue is that WS was a bad idea to begin with. Gold Coast is fine, and has been since everyone got over "expansion shock". it's the fastest growing municipality in Australia if i'm not mistaken, and if i'm also not mistaken AFL has a better following in Bris/QLD than it does in Syd/NSW.

GWS stands for absolutely nothing. who are they representing? what the fuck is "greater western sydney"? it won't fail, because of the money that's been thrown in and because they have picked the right man in Sheedy, but i can't see them attracting a loyal fan base anytime in the near future.

I would love for a Tassie team to enter the competition someday. It seems as obvious as the expansions into WA and SA. It doesn't have to be as big an undertaking as GWS or GC - if it's there, Tasmanians will support it, even most of those that already go for a mainland team.

Of course, instead the AFL must insist on continuing to make an ass of itself in NRL areas.

... speaking of which, bring back the Adelaide Rams!

the thing that is most heavily against Tassie getting a team is that Hawthorn are pretty well established now. lots of kids are wearing Hawks jumpers because they playe there four times a year... so the argument will become "we don't need a Tassie team because 2/3rds of the people going to games are Hawks supporters" which is quite sad.

I would love for a Tassie team to enter the competition someday. It seems as obvious as the expansions into WA and SA. It doesn't have to be as big an undertaking as GWS or GC - if it's there, Tasmanians will support it, even most of those that already go for a mainland team.

Of course, instead the AFL must insist on continuing to make an ass of itself in NRL areas.

... speaking of which, bring back the Adelaide Rams!

I ran into somebody yesterday who was arguing that expansion into Tassie made little sense because that market's never going to be lost to AFL, and it therefore makes more sense to expand into new markets like GWS. Bollocks. If the AFL rests on its laurels and just assumes it "has" Tassie, before too long another more ambitious code will decide it has a chance by establishing a team that's actually Tasmanian.

And re: Hawthorn in Tassie, c'mon, we all know that most Tasmanians would drop them in a heartbeat in favour of a Tasmanian Thylacines team.

Yep, completely agree. Tassie might have a smaller catchment of potential supporters than other areas to expand into, but it is a much more assured market. Tasmania is arguably Australia's most passionate footy state and have been for years.

There was a period where they had a team in the VFL and they were attracting some pretty solid crowds, close to 10,000 a few times I think. I don't know why they folded.

I reckon a Tasmania side would have little trouble in building a 20,000 membership form the get go, and would have little trouble in encouraging people to convert from their existing AFL side (be it Hawthorn or whoever).

Where would they play though? Launceston or Hobort?

the VFL team folded for financial reasons. it's very hard to sustain a VFL team - a great example is going to be Werribee in 2011, we've lost about five top-line players to other leagues because we can't pay them enough.

To think that whole AFL-vs-FFA stadiums spat was for nothing!

It looks like van Berlo is our new captain, no surprises there but a respectable choice anyway.

I see Bomber finally fronted the media a couple of days ago and said nothing surprising whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom