The 2011 AFL Thread: *insert desired expletives here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for the Sanful or the Waffle, but country/local footy is far more passionately supported than the VFL across the state.

Plus, Carlton Dry stubbies for $3.50. Can't go wrong.

Never been to a showdown, are you going? Should be a pretty good match and hopefully a decent crowd.

I want to know if they're going to be rid of those darn bay covers just for this match. Don't know if I'll go, I'll go as far as to admit that I've only been to one AFL game mostly due to the fact that I have nobody to go with.

It's gonna be a scoreless draw I reckon.

Why do you think that?

- we have improved heeaaaps and should be upper echelon of the bottom 8, might even sneak in? Lynch actually did something!

I was surprised at seeing this. I think he kicked 4? Last week I was scratching my head at why the Eagles would have someone in their team who did almost nothing for the whole duration of a match.

I can't speak for the Sanful or the Waffle, but country/local footy is far more passionately supported than the VFL across the state.

Plus, Carlton Dry stubbies for $3.50. Can't go wrong.

Yeah, I'd say local footy is generally supported more intently than SANFL, but it's kind of hard to tell. I don't know too many SANFL supporters myself, probably because the age group mostly consists of older folk who either barely support Crows/Port (usually the Crows, for obvious reasons) or don't at all. Probably a lot of supporters up in Central's neck of the woods because of their ludicrous amount of success in the past decade (seriously, if there were an AFL team in that position, there would be nationwide protests).

As for myself and SANFL, I'm a right Benedict Arnold - I've shifted from being a Woodville/West Torrens supporter as a kid, to Glenelg more recently, and am now considering going for Norwood because of close proximity to Coopers Stadium. Which I think shows how committed most people my age are to the league, unfortunately.

Also, $3 Coopers stubbies at a lot of footy clubs here. Bloody beaudeeful.fo

I want to know if they're going to be rid of those darn bay covers just for this match. Don't know if I'll go, I'll go as far as to admit that I've only been to one AFL game mostly due to the fact that I have nobody to go with.

God, you'd hope so! Since Adelaide are showing signs of being a bit better than last season, hopefully it'll get over 40k. And don't worry about it, my game-attending ratio has slipped a lot in recent years, I've actually gone to fewer games since I moved to the city. Gotta say though, after going to the Rugby sevens last weekend that'd be very different once footy moves to Adelaide Oval - it's an absolute pleasure, and can't come soon enough.

God, you'd hope so! Since Adelaide are showing signs of being a bit better than last season, hopefully it'll get over 40k. And don't worry about it, my game-attending ratio has slipped a lot in recent years, I've actually gone to fewer games since I moved to the city. Gotta say though, after going to the Rugby sevens last weekend that'd be very different once footy moves to Adelaide Oval - it's an absolute pleasure, and can't come soon enough.

I don't know about being a 'bit better', that's still in the balance after 2 games. We were very average yesterday and appear to be getting more injuris by every game. There is absolutely no excuse to lose next week, we just shouldn't, the way Port are travelling.

Even after a disappointing loss, I'm still pumped. Such is the optimistic spirit of a young'un.

I need to rant.

This Lance Franklin obsession is unbelievable. Best On Ground my arse. And the way Hawthorn fans and the media obsess over every little thing he does even though his game is riddled with errors. 5 goals against a decimated and raw Richmond defence (no Moore or McGuane or Rance) is nothing at all to crow about.

I'd zipped up my jacket over my Richmond guernsey in the final term (not out of shame, as abysmal as we were. It was wet and freezing) ... And this prat Hawthorn fan standing next to me starts raving to me about how amazing Franklin is. He didn't see my Richmond guernsey and he wasn't next to me when me and my mate were tearing into both Franklin and this irrational Franklin fandom (which isn't helped when AFL's leading ignoramus Mike Sheehan claims him to be the best player in the league when in reality he would struggle to make mine and many others' top twenty). Had to bite my tongue. I would just come across as bitter given the scoreboard.

Franklin is the golden child, the poster boy of the AFL. It's an outrage that a true superstar such as Goddard isn't given the same acclaim.

I believe, us as AFL supporters, should begin the eternal worship of Patrick Dangerfield.

intedomine said:
I need to rant.

This Lance Franklin obsession is unbelievable. Best On Ground my arse. And the way Hawthorn fans and the media obsess over every little thing he does even though his game is riddled with errors. 5 goals against a decimated and raw Richmond defence (no Moore or McGuane or Rance) is nothing at all to crow about.

I'd zipped up my jacket over my Richmond guernsey in the final term (not out of shame, as abysmal as we were. It was wet and freezing) ... And this prat Hawthorn fan standing next to me starts raving to me about how amazing Franklin is. He didn't see my Richmond guernsey and he wasn't next to me when me and my mate were tearing into both Franklin and this irrational Franklin fandom (which isn't helped when AFL's leading ignoramus Mike Sheehan claims him to be the best player in the league when in reality he would struggle to make mine and many others' top twenty). Had to bite my tongue. I would just come across as bitter given the scoreboard.

Franklin is the golden child, the poster boy of the AFL. It's an outrage that a true superstar such as Goddard isn't given the same acclaim.

:up: you'd think he was better than Carey or Ablett the way they rave about him. He's damn good, but his influence is oversold.

Judd is in the same boat for mine, but at least he has some runs on the board. He's a bloody good player, but geez commentators blow some smoke up his ass!

I hate when commentators get stuck on a dumb subject for a whole match. Dwayne Russell would not shut up about Essendon 's 'best football all season' and how poor St.Kilda were, until Paul Roos pointed out that it was infact only round 3, and a lot could change come round 23.

That said the saints window is well shut at the moment. If they can't lift for Rooey they are in trouble, while Essendon, If they can keep that sort of game up for most of the year, look out!

How bout the catters just quietly going about business.

Seriously, who on earth would actually think Franklin's better than Ablett?

Also, god I hate the word/name "Buddy".

Axver said:
Also, god I hate the word/name "Buddy".

Same. I refuse to refer to him as "buddy".. Why should I colloquially and personally refer to a player who is irrelevant to me?

Geelong look blistering. I tipped them to drop out of the top 4, but there are too many quality players still there, and they don't just lose all their ability over summer.

St. Kilda aren't done yet. They've still got the underlying talent there. If Ross Lyon can get the best out of those who were formerly fringe players (Armitage, McEvoy, Gram) and can use them to somehow compensate for the loss of Hayes, they can still threaten the better sides.

Gotta agree with the Buddy comments, has way too many off days to be considered in the same league as the real greats. I think too many media personalities, as well as the AFL marketing dept., still have a hard on for the whole first-ever-indigenous-player-to-kick-100+ thing.

Love how everyone was writing off Geelong while it's the Saints/Dogs in the real shit this year.

The great thing is that he looks like the great Roo when he runs, except even faster.

Front page and two page spread on the "jailhouse salute".

Write about something important for fuck's sake. No one would even care beyond half a raised eyebrow if it wasn't written about in the paper.

Yeah, I flipped through the Hun today and had to shake my head. I don't know what Krakouer's brother is in for, but I really don't see a problem with this as a one off. I don't even feel it's worth talking about to begin with.

Same. I refuse to refer to him as "buddy".. Why should I colloquially and personally refer to a player who is irrelevant to me?

When I first heard of him, I only heard people call him Buddy and it was ages until I found out that's not his real first name, so I tend to still call him that out of habit, much as I think it's a godawful nickname.

That goal out of the centre was bloody fantastic. My GOTY choice so far for sure.

YouTube by any chance?

Front page and two page spread on the "jailhouse salute".

Write about something important for fuck's sake. No one would even care beyond half a raised eyebrow if it wasn't written about in the paper.

You're going to have to fill me in here. I've missed whatever the journos are harping on about.

vlad - 7/20
cobl04 - 7/17
reggo - no tips/16
bonnie - 6/16
axver - 6/16
inte - 6/15
tania - no tips/13
danny - 5/12

556766-andrew-krakouer.jpg

Thank you, I was thinking of changing it though since our pissweak pub law is gonna be overturned (hopefully).

Ahh I love his little celebration at the end there.

I am VERY PLEASED and am listening to it right now

Agreed. Very promising. For whatever reason I always get a kick out of a person from a different cultural background from the norm finding their feet in the football ranks. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom