The 2011 AFL Thread: *insert desired expletives here* - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Funny video.. hilarious branding.

What's Paul Kelly doing there, favourite son of the club destined to become the Giants' fiercest rival?

I don't mind the guernsey design either, but apparently that's just the one that they'll wear next year and they'll use a different design upon entering the AFL in 2012.

Sky blue, Interference blue would have made much more sense

Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #197
45:33

Local Time: 06:04 PM
now to add my two cents.

i don't mind the guernsey but the nickname is horrendous. all the other nicknames in our game have their own history (and Suns is fine). the "Giants" nickname is synonymous with America and as someone said, "why don't just call them the Yankees and be done with it?"

my other issue is that WS was a bad idea to begin with. Gold Coast is fine, and has been since everyone got over "expansion shock". it's the fastest growing municipality in Australia if i'm not mistaken, and if i'm also not mistaken AFL has a better following in Bris/QLD than it does in Syd/NSW.

GWS stands for absolutely nothing. who are they representing? what the fuck is "greater western sydney"? it won't fail, because of the money that's been thrown in and because they have picked the right man in Sheedy, but i can't see them attracting a loyal fan base anytime in the near future.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #198
Vocal parasite

Can't add much more to the GWS Dwarves discussion, since you folk have pretty much said all my thoughts on the matter.

On a different topic, a Tassie team, is Demetriou actually retarded? Seriously, a lot of what he says in this doesn't even make much sense: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...117-17xky.html

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #199
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:04 PM
no no, let's shoe horn teams in where they'll have to be propped up for years while we ignore a completely natural progression.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 PM
I would love for a Tassie team to enter the competition someday. It seems as obvious as the expansions into WA and SA. It doesn't have to be as big an undertaking as GWS or GC - if it's there, Tasmanians will support it, even most of those that already go for a mainland team.

Of course, instead the AFL must insist on continuing to make an ass of itself in NRL areas.

... speaking of which, bring back the Adelaide Rams!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #201

the thing that is most heavily against Tassie getting a team is that Hawthorn are pretty well established now. lots of kids are wearing Hawks jumpers because they playe there four times a year... so the argument will become "we don't need a Tassie team because 2/3rds of the people going to games are Hawks supporters" which is quite sad.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #202
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I would love for a Tassie team to enter the competition someday. It seems as obvious as the expansions into WA and SA. It doesn't have to be as big an undertaking as GWS or GC - if it's there, Tasmanians will support it, even most of those that already go for a mainland team.

Of course, instead the AFL must insist on continuing to make an ass of itself in NRL areas.

... speaking of which, bring back the Adelaide Rams!
I ran into somebody yesterday who was arguing that expansion into Tassie made little sense because that market's never going to be lost to AFL, and it therefore makes more sense to expand into new markets like GWS. Bollocks. If the AFL rests on its laurels and just assumes it "has" Tassie, before too long another more ambitious code will decide it has a chance by establishing a team that's actually Tasmanian.

And re: Hawthorn in Tassie, c'mon, we all know that most Tasmanians would drop them in a heartbeat in favour of a Tasmanian Thylacines team.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

I met more Crows supporters than Hawks supporters over there, anyway.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #204
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Yep, completely agree. Tassie might have a smaller catchment of potential supporters than other areas to expand into, but it is a much more assured market. Tasmania is arguably Australia's most passionate footy state and have been for years.

There was a period where they had a team in the VFL and they were attracting some pretty solid crowds, close to 10,000 a few times I think. I don't know why they folded.

I reckon a Tasmania side would have little trouble in building a 20,000 membership form the get go, and would have little trouble in encouraging people to convert from their existing AFL side (be it Hawthorn or whoever).

Where would they play though? Launceston or Hobort?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #205

the VFL team folded for financial reasons. it's very hard to sustain a VFL team - a great example is going to be Werribee in 2011, we've lost about five top-line players to other leagues because we can't pay them enough.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

I might have to change teams if they bring in the Celtics
Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #207
Vocal parasite

To think that whole AFL-vs-FFA stadiums spat was for nothing!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 PM
It looks like van Berlo is our new captain, no surprises there but a respectable choice anyway.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #209
Vocal parasite

I see Bomber finally fronted the media a couple of days ago and said nothing surprising whatsoever.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
It looks like van Berlo is our new captain, no surprises there but a respectable choice anyway.
Nice to know, he deserves it.

Ughhh I miss footy so much right now. I have to settle for various Americano sports and playing NBA Jam instead while cricket season's on.

Tags
afl, football