The 2009 Formula One Thread. Accept No Imitations.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Well people, F1 fell off the face of the earth judging by the poor performance of last year's thread, so let's pick it back up this year. Should be another good year, with new regulations of course, and this KERS or something engine system.

I'll be once again supporting Mark Webber, the minnows and BMW Sauber, hoping against hope that we get plenty of interesting races this year.

New team line ups are:

Toro Rosso
Sebastien Buemi
Sebastien Bourdais

Red Bull
Mark Webber
Sebastien Vettel
David Coulthard (test driver) :hmm:

I'll be rooting for Lewis again this year, and again supporting BMW F1 as my scrappy underdog team :up:

Hey Canadiens...Is montreal on the schedule this year? When?

A lot of talk around here about the potential of an American team joining in 2010. IF it could build interest in the circuit in the U.S. - it would make me happy. Unfortunately, in order to do that, I think they would have to recruit one of the big name NASCAR drivers.

They could have Danica Patrick on a US-backed F1 team and it wouldn't make more of a dent in the U.S. than Beckham did.

Mike, what are your feelings about Montreal losing the Grand Prix? I haven't been back yet, so I have no idea what the feeling around the city is. I imagine merchants and restauranteurs aren't too pleased. I know I wasn't too happy. :angry:

Mike, what are your feelings about Montreal losing the Grand Prix? I haven't been back yet, so I have no idea what the feeling around the city is. I imagine merchants and restauranteurs aren't too pleased. I know I wasn't too happy. :angry:
Well, I will miss the chance to go see the race. I went two years ago and had a blast. The media were certainly down on it for a while, and the merchants indeed will lose a sizable share of their summer earnings.

There's the flipside of the coin, as well, where Montrealers (myself included) will not be missing the hordes of Euro douchebags decked out in Ferrari gear being abnoxious downtown during that weekend.

Formula 1, new year, new rules... I can't wait to see how this KERS system works out and I want to know if it's really as dangerous as some stewards claim. They have this fear of being electrocuted if they touch a stranded car... :hmm:

I wonder if Honda will be able to survive this year with all the problems they had recently.

27 days now...

2009 Race Calendar

1 27-29 March 2009
Australian Grand Prix, Albert Park, Melbourne

2 3-5 April 2009
Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang International Circuit

3 17-19 April 2009
Chinese Grand Prix Shanghai International Circuit

4 24-26 April 2009
Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir

5 8-10 May 2009
Spanish Grand Prix Montmelo, Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona

6 21-24 May 2009
Monaco Grand Prix Monte-Carlo

7 5-7 June 2009
Turkish Grand Prix Istanbul Park

8 19-21 June 2009
British Grand Prix Silverstone

9 10-12 July 2009
German Grand Prix Nürburgring

10 24-26 July 2009
Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring

11 21-23 August 2009
European Grand Prix Valencia Street Circuit

12 28-30 August 2009
Belgian Grand Prix Spa-Francorchamps

13 11-13 September 2009
Italian Grand Prix Autodromo Nazionale Monza

14 25-27 September 2009
Singapore Grand Prix Singapore Street Circuit (night race)

15 2-4 October 2009
Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka

16 16-18 October 2009
Brazilian Grand Prix Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace, Interlagos, Sao Paulo

17 30 October - 1 November 2009
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Island

Well I read on newsonf1.com that someone is buying the Honda team.

I'm sad :( It's always an entertaining race, and there really aren't many of those left, besides Australia, Monaco, US...

Was it over the cigarette advertising??

Well I read on newsonf1.com that someone is buying the Honda team.

I'm sad :( It's always an entertaining race, and there really aren't many of those left, besides Australia, Monaco, US...

Was it over the cigarette advertising??
The organizers couldn't pony up the exhorbidant fee for hosting the race that Eccletsone demanded. Seems a bit dumb, especially with GPs folding and not being held this year in traditionally strong markets (France for instance).

That said, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has been really lagging behind in terms of modern F1 top-class facilities for several years now. The track surface has been consistantly shit, as well. The facilities really needed a cash injection and the Canadian gov't nor the provincial gov't wanted to put public funds on the line.

The organizers couldn't pony up the exhorbidant fee for hosting the race that Eccletsone demanded. Seems a bit dumb, especially with GPs folding and not being held this year in traditionally strong markets (France for instance).

That said, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has been really lagging behind in terms of modern F1 top-class facilities for several years now. The track surface has been consistantly shit, as well. The facilities really needed a cash injection and the Canadian gov't nor the provincial gov't wanted to put public funds on the line.

Wow that all really sucks. I don't know a single person who likes Ecclestone. I'd heard about the facilities, but was hoping something would be worked out because now we have to put up with boring as bat shit races in places like Bahrain, Turkey...

And Button and Barrichello will definitely be racing, with the Brawn GP team. Button feels as though he's "starting again, but with years of experience."

I'm excited by all this talk that this season will be the closest in a while.

Well, depends on your definition of close and how it's calculated. F1 just changed their scoring rules, and the driver's champion will be determined by number of wins instead of points.

Formula One champ to be determined by race wins

The Canadian Press

3/17/2009 10:50:11 AM

MADRID - Formula One's championship will be decided by the number of race wins and not accumulated points.

Governing body FIA decided Tuesday that the current points system will remain in effect only to determine the driver's title in the case of a tie, with points also determining the order of the drivers who finish the season behind the overall champion.

FIA also approved further changes to cut costs in the face of the economic crisis, including a voluntary budget cap on teams.
Under the new scoring system, Ferrari's Felipe Massa would have won the 2008 championship ahead of Lewis Hamilton of McLaren. The Brazilian driver won six grand prix races to Hamilton's five, but the British racer took the title by one point, 98-97, after finishing fifth in the season-ending Brazilian GP.

Overall, the title winner would have been different on 13 occasions if the new proposal had been in place since the first championship in 1950.

The 10 F1 teams had been looking to change the points to a 12-9-7 scoring system for first through third place, from its current 10-9-8 allocation. But FIA rejected that proposal.

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone had initially suggested a medals system, with gold for the winner, silver for second and bronze for third.

The new formula does not affect the constructors' championship, which will continue to be decided by the usual points system.
FIA's World Motor Sports Council, at its meeting in Paris, also approved further cost-cutting measures.

"No one can say the situation will not deteriorate further in the coming months. If we wait and things get worse, it will be too late," FIA president Max Mosley said after FIA offered an option to teams to compete with cars built and operated "within a stringent cost cap."

A proposed cap of 30 million pounds (C$53.5 million) would cover expenditures of "any kind" and give such cars greater technical freedom. That would entail "a more aerodynamically efficient upper body, movable wings and an engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze."

Everything from drivers' and team principals' salaries to luxury jets would be included in the cap.

"From the grandstand or on television (the cars) won't look or sound any less `Formula One' than the current, ultra-expensive cars," Mosley said. "These rules will encourage clever engineering -- success will come to the teams with the best ideas, not only the teams with the most money."

Mosley said such a team could compete with giants like Ferrari and McLaren -- which are unlikely to take up the initiative -- since top engineers are always available.

Car weights will be published following Saturday's qualifying session and would rename tire grades for better clarity to spectators. Drivers must also be available for further autograph sessions and better media availability.

F1 teams will also be limited to eight one-day aerodynamic tests during the course of the season instead of a total ban on in-season testing, and allowed three one-day "young driver" tests featuring pilots who have not raced more than two GPs in the preceding 24 months.

The council, meeting before the start of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on March 29, also rubber-stamped Brawn GP's purchase of Honda.

I don't know if I'm a fan of that rule... really breaking convention there. It should be the other way round; if there's a points tie, whoever won more races wins the championship on countback.

That means we could have a winner on say 58 points, and he wins five races, yet say Hamilton finishes with 108 points, but only wins three. :eyebrow: I mean that's unlikely, but still.

Fuck Max.
Fuck Bernie.
Fuck the FIA.

I've been saying it for years and I'll say it again now

So next week's race in Melb is gonna be a twilight race, to get the European/Asian/Middle East TV markets, huh? I'd like someone, other than Bernie, tell us if it's actually going to work....

And Danny, where's this year's V8 thread?? :D

So next week's race in Melb is gonna be a twilight race, to get the European/Asian/Middle East TV markets, huh? I'd like someone, other than Bernie, tell us if it's actually going to work....

And Danny, where's this year's V8 thread?? :D

Oh shit, forgot about that. I'll get onto it. Far as I'm concerned season hasn't started yet :grumpy:

Well, depends on your definition of close and how it's calculated. F1 just changed their scoring rules, and the driver's champion will be determined by number of wins instead of points.

I heard the teams protested against this rule and (at least for this year) the old system will be used. They're(FIA) planning to use the new scoring rules in 2010 but I hope they just don't. :rolleyes:

^ Correct. Brawn, Toyota and another team are to have their cars inspected too, because they are apparently too good and Maxy wants to know if they are in line with the aerodynamic rules.

The Sports Network - Formula One - points system revoked.

I really like this idea, 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1. Perfect.

^ Correct. Brawn, Toyota and another team are to have their cars inspected too, because they are apparently too good and Maxy wants to know if they are in line with the aerodynamic rules.

The Sports Network - Formula One - points system revoked.

I really like this idea, 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1. Perfect.

I know the 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1. system was a much better idea! I couldn't believe the FIA didn't pay any attention to it!

Might not be in line with the new aerodynamic rules? Max just needs to bitch about something else now, since his "points system toy" got taken away... :shrug:

I know the 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1. system was a much better idea! I couldn't believe the FIA didn't pay any attention to it!

Might not be in line with the new aerodynamic rules? Max just needs to bitch about something else now, since his "points system toy" got taken away... :shrug:

Well apparently whoever wins Sunday's GP might not be the official winner for months.. the big 3 bitched and moaned and there's going to be a massive investigation.

Current Win Odds
BUTTON Jenson 4.50$
RAIKKONEN Kimi 5.00$
BARRICHELLO Rubens 6.00$
ALONSO Fernando 7.50$
MASSA Felipe 7.50$
HAMILTON Lewis 13.00$
KUBICA Robert 13.00$
HEIDFELD Nick 21.00$
TRULLI Jarno 21.00$
GLOCK Timo 26.00$
NAKAJIMA Kazuki 26.00$