The 2008 U.S. Open Tennis Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
So, the U.S. Open starts on Monday.

Federer and Nadal are obviously contenders. Also, as disappointing as his career as a whole has been, if there's one slam that Roddick is always a threat to go all the way in, it's this one. Djokovic is damn good, too. I'd say it has to be one of those four.

I'm rooting for Nadal or Roddick.

As for the women's draw...women's tennis just isn't very interesting right now. Henin is retired, Sharapova hasn't proven that she can consistently be a threat to win it all, the Williams sisters aren't nearly as dominant as they used to be, and there just doesn't seem to be a great time for women's tennis. That said...Sharapova or one of the Williams sisters will probably win. :wink:

I have always hated the timing of this open. I'm in the football mode at this point. I really wish it was earlier so I could see all the night matches because there isn't anything quite like a tennis night match. :drool:

Predictions:

Nadal will win on the men's side if only because he is on a real role winning the last major and gold in the Olympics. Federer goes out in the semi's. Roddick gets to the third round at best. Same for Blake. I just don't think Roddick and Blake are hungry and mature enough to win majors.

The troubling thing about the women's game is that there are any elite women at the moment. The Williams sisters aren't as into the game as they used to be. Sharapova still hasn't stepped up to be one of the greats. The two impossible to spell Russians lack consistency. Jankovic gets injured too much to stay healthy through a whole major. Jankovic stands the best chance of winning it but needs the killer instinct.

I'm rooting for Nadal.

As for the women, like everyone's been saying, its hard to say which one is the top contender because there is no one. So, to me, that field is wide open.

Anyone saw Bethanie Mattek and her annoying dress? I really had to give up watching after 10min! :tsk:

Anyone saw Bethanie Mattek and her annoying dress? I really had to give up watching after 10min! :tsk:

I didn't watch her match, but her outfit surely couldn't have been worse than this one:

bethanie-mattek-160.jpg

I hope Federer has pulled his act together...

Roddick won his opening match in straight sets. Looking at the draw, Roddick doesn't have a very tough road to the quarterfinals. In fact, I think we could be headed for a Roddick/Djokovic quarterfinal, which would be a very interesting match. Also, a Nadal/Blake quarterfinal seems likely.

hopefully federer's got some confidence back after winning doubles gold in beijing.

federer and andy murray for me.

i suck at this... but i'm awful at finding out when federer plays next. when is his round 2 match? is it tomorrow? anyone have a time?

any info would be greatly appreciated. i got satellite hook up just to watch this and football at the weekend. i don't want to miss it.

^No, sorry I'm clueless too! Eurosport shows just very annoying matches...I still haven't seen a good one since it started.

i suck at this... but i'm awful at finding out when federer plays next. when is his round 2 match? is it tomorrow? anyone have a time?

any info would be greatly appreciated. i got satellite hook up just to watch this and football at the weekend. i don't want to miss it.

The US Open 2008 - Grand Slam Tennis - Official Site by IBM

It's the official USOpen site - their schedule page. You can view the schedule day-by-day, and it's always updated to whatever the day after the day you're looking at it is. So, right now, it's updated through tomorrow. If Federer's second-round match isn't listed there(it isn't), then he isn't playing until Saturday probably. Saturday's schedule will be accessible tomorrow, and so on.

I saw Coin-Ivanonic yesterday and that was terrible. Ivanonic did a lot (!!!) of unforced forehand and return faults...it was just not very interesting to watch it on the tv.

if federer loses tomorrow i'm going to do something terrible. i take this personally, because i live my life through others, guys.

This is where it gets interesting. Nadal and American Mardy Fish will play in the quarterfinal, and the winner of that will likely play Andy Murray of the UK(Murray's section of the draw doesn't have a whole lot of serious competitoin). Nadal's path to the final looks relatively easy.

The other half of the draw will be even more interesting. Roddick and Djokovic will likely meet in the quarterfinal, but Robredo is also pretty good. Whichever of those three comes out will likely play Federer in the semifinal.

All things considered, Nadal has an easier road to the final than Federer does.

anytime. :sexywink::flirt::cute:

today's match was a bit more tense than necessary, but he still got the result. i liked his opponent though, i hope he moves up.

where've all the tennis fans gone?
did i scare you all away?

today was a great day of tennis.

I watched brief stretches of both Federer and Roddick's matches tonight.

Roddick is looking good. If he can somehow take down this tournament title, I will be one happy customer.

nice work with murray today. after what happened in rome, i was really hoping he'd pull through... looks like the two of them have since moved on from their earlier...spat.

here's to hoping nadal crashes and burns in dramatic style tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom