The 2008 U.S. Open Tennis Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the second of the night matches on Ashe, so probably 9-ish.

I'm torn. I'd love to see Roddick win it all and get back on the map, so to speak, but the winner of this match has to play Federer in the semis. I don't like Federer. I don't want him to win. I think Djokovic can beat Federer. I don't think Roddick can. I'm torn.

Federer is officially in the semis. On Saturday it will be Nadal vs. Murray and Federer vs. the winner of Roddick/Djokovic tonight.

federer won in straight sets, but he was certainly pushed today. hopefully roddick wins tonight...

Djokovic wins.

Nadal vs Murray, Federer vs Djokovic.

Djokovic can beat Federer. He's done it before. He's good enough.

shaping up to be a great pair semi-finals/final.

just as i wanted originally, murray and federer are still in it.

I find myself always cheering for Federer, but with 12 Grand Slams, it would definitely be nice to see someone else win. Federer is a great representative for the sport, and seems like a great guy. I also like Djokovic, despite his comments last night...the guy's only 21 so I can give him a break...also was a tough crowd for him.

I was at the Open all last weekend - so much fun but next time I'm going to spend a little extra to get good seats at Ashe.

I think it was fair enough for Djokovic to say what he did...the crowd was really bad I thought, for it to be partisan was expected but I think they did go overboard. Plus even though I found Roddicks comments funny, they can be cutting when they suggest something bad about your character which obviously hurt Djokovic. He does actually have a number of health issues especially relating to his breathing as he did have a chest op a few years back to help him with it.

Good point LJT. I've been to a lot of tennis matches, but never have seen the crowd yell during the serve. Of course there were something like 20,000+ at the game, and only a few jerks would yell.

It's interesting - when you become a great tennis player, you almost need media training, and coaching for public speaking. You can say what's on your mind and people may not like it, or you can take the higher road and always be cool and the fans and media and sponsors will love you!

Thought Djokovic (love his impersonations of other players, one of the most charismatic players in the tour)) would beat Federer with his weak shape this year...guess not. And it looks like Murray has a real chance against Nadal. Could be the first non Federer-Nadal final in a long time.
Roddick...instead of whining about your opponent improve your game next time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal comes back and beats Murray - just like he did numerous other times with other players when he's down a break or a set. Fed's going to be tough to beat. His "bad" year includes semi's in Australia, and making it to 3 Slam Finals. Amazing! The guy just showed he is somewhat human this year by losing a few more matches than normal.

It would have been great to see Djokovic in the finals, but I think he's getting better and better and had a bad day yesterday. Look for an excellent performance in Australia '09 from Nole.

Boo.

I wanted Nadal. I wanted more than anything to see Nadal beat Federer again in the final.

I don't want either of these guys to win in the final.

Boo.

I wanted Nadal. I wanted more than anything to see Nadal beat Federer again in the final.

Same here.

I was afraid that there was too much hype over Nadal, and he wouldn't deliver.

you guys are out of your mind... federer deserves to win every grand slam from here on out until he's at least 33.

you guys are out of your mind... federer deserves to win every grand slam from here on out until he's at least 33.

Deserves? Why does he deserve it?

I want what's best for tennis, and what's best for tennis is competition. That's why we need Nadal to elevate his hard court game to the quality of his clay court and grass court game so he can a constant presence in grand slam finals for years to come, that's why we Djokovic to improve his mental game because he has tremendous upside. That's why Roddick's career has been such a disappointment.

When Bjorg was dominating, he had Connors and McEnroe among others. Connors won eight grand slams and McEnroe won seven. That's a combined 15 slams.

Nadal has the potential to be an all-time great. We just need one or two more guys to step up and win multiple slams and create competition.

Tennis has been BORING for the past few years because of Federer's dominance.

i was kidding...

it was a joke, even though i'd be happy if what i said would turn out to be true.

I want what's best for tennis, and what's best for tennis is competition. That's why we need Nadal to elevate his hard court game to the quality of his clay court and grass court game so he can a constant presence in grand slam finals for years to come, that's why we Djokovic to improve his mental game because he has tremendous upside. That's why Roddick's career has been such a disappointment.

When Bjorg was dominating, he had Connors and McEnroe among others. Connors won eight grand slams and McEnroe won seven. That's a combined 15 slams.

Nadal has the potential to be an all-time great. We just need one or two more guys to step up and win multiple slams and create competition.

agreed! but I'll keep my fingers crossed for Federer, cause I really like his play!:drool: :wink:

I totally understand your feelings towards Federer's lack of competition. The unfortunate thing is that he may not be on tour after this year or next year. Then it will be Nadal and an average field. My hope is that he wins this slam and retires. I fear for the sport though. Men's and women's tennis can't afford to keep having these players get everyone's attention and then disappear.

Lack of competition? Doesn't Federer have to compete with the best tennis players the entire rest of the world can produce? There's tons of competition, he's just so good he makes it look like there isn't :)

I understand how seeing him in almost every final can be boring for some, but I see it as a great opportunity to witness one of the best tennis players in history do his magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom