The 2008 FIA Formula 1 World Championship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm not C1160 (what will you do if Saku gets traded? :wink:) but I can tell you that it does, although I've never been. In fact, because it's held in prime time in Europe it's one of, if not the highest rated races.

According to Wikipedia: "In 2005, the Canadian Grand Prix was the most watched Formula One GP in the world. The race was also the third most watched sporting event on the planet, behind the first place Super Bowl XXXIX and the UEFA Champions League Final."

New Mclaren MP4-23

lrg-1184-_j0t0730.jpg

zonelistener said:
C1160 -

Does the Montreal GP sell out?
I can tell you it certainly did last year. All tix were gone by the end of April, I believe.

The general admission tickets, Grandstands 21, 15, 24, 1 and 2 go like hotcakes.
http://www.grandprix.ca/tickets.html

If you want to go see a race and want the weekend experience, then 100$ will net you a 3-day general admission pass which is not a bad deal at all considering the grandstand seat prices. There are a number of spots right up against the catchfencing where you can be right next to the cars whizzing by, and also have a view of a big screen to follow the overall action. Friday practice is a nice time to lounge about on the grassy embankments and have a bite to eat, Saturday qualifying gives you a chance to find a good spot, and then you can jump on the first metro train out to the track on Sunday to secure a good place.

Last edited:
Jenson Button says he and Honda should be in a position to fight for the F1 world championships in 2009, and not before.

"I think we'll be a lot closer to the front in 2008 and in 2009 we have to be fighting for the championship," Button said at the Autosport International show in Birmingham, UK. "If we can get to that position with a good car, then this team will win the championship. As a team we are very, very strong."
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/13/button-eyes-2009-title/

Jean Alesi -

"F1 is hero to zero," said Alesi. "You can immediately after two or three races say we have a new mega star, and someone else is no one because the car is not competitive.

"I am sure and really believe Jenson is capable to be a world champion. He has the speed and he has now the experience but, for sure, the car last year was really a disaster.

"To see this kind of driver suffering like that is not so good. I am sure with (new team principal) Ross Brawn they will make a big step forward, but to win the world championship will take a little bit of time." http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64640

New BMW is looking pretty similar to last year's but still sharp nonetheless.

That front wing. is. fucking. sexy. as. hell. Oh my god.

90246ct6.jpg

90257.jpg

New Toyota 2008 Crapwagon, though due for heavy aero revisions before the first GP.

460272mf0.jpg

Well looks like we're set to lose our Grand Prix. Geezus Ecclestone's a grumpy bastard!

Formula One: Australia may lose F1 race after 2010, report
3 hours ago

SYDNEY (AFP) — Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone says Melbourne's contract to keep the financially-embattled Australian Grand Prix has little chance of being renewed beyond 2010, reports said Sunday.

Ecclestone said there were better prospects of chasing more money, sponsorship and television audiences if the event was held in India, Russia or South Korea.

The Australian GP has been held on the streets of Melbourne and Adelaide for the last 23 years, but financial pressure and a desire to stage the race at night for European television audiences has clouded its future in Australia.

"Maybe we don't want to be in Australia," Ecclestone told Sydney newspaper The Sunday Telegraph. "Our costs are very high in Australia and we get a lot less money. It's bloody bad for us.

Ecclestone said car manufacturers and sponsors also supported a move. He said Melbourne's only chance to keep the race -- which launches the F1 season on the Albert Park circuit from March 13-16 -- was if it was held at night.

Singapore will stage the first-ever Formula One night race on September 28 on a circuit of public roads around the city-state's Marina Bay area.

Melbourne is contracted to stage the event until 2010, but the Australian GP has encountered significant financial losses since the race was shifted from Adelaide in 1996.

Victorian Premier John Brumby has raised doubts about the event's future and its value for money.

A report on the auto race, tabled in Victorian state parliament last October, revealed revenue decreased from 47.5 million dollars (43 million USD) in 2006 to 43.4 million dollars (39.2 million USD) last year.

Last year's Australian Grand Prix ran at a loss of nearly 35 million dollars (31.6 million USD).

Since the event moved from Adelaide, the Melbourne GP has lost more than 120 million dollars (108.5 million USD).

"It comes down to, is it bad for Melbourne to spend the money they spend and is it good for us to be there ...," Ecclestone told the newspaper.

The newspaper reported that the licence fee to renew beyond 2010 will be more than 40 million dollars (36 million USD).

If Melbourne was to retain the race, Ecclestone said terms would be non-negotiable.

"... we would have to have a night race," he said. "That would be the only option."

Ecclestone said he had not discussed the race's future with Australian Grand Prix chairman Ron Walker.

He said his mind would be made up by money, television coverage and after hearing input from sponsors.

Walker on Sunday dismissed reports Melbourne will lose the contract.

"When you look at other Grands Prix around the world in China, Dubai and Malaysia they don't get anything like the attendances we get in Melbourne," he said. "This will just blow over and negotiations will take place in a normal fashion."

I hate Bernie, but in this case I have to agree with him. I'm not a huge fan of the Melbourne circuit, and if the race is being held at a loss there are a lot better facilities out there.

If the race were at Surfer's Paradise, I'd be weeping, but it's not.

I like it, it always seems to throw up a good race, but I did not realise how much running a GP costs.

Is the decision entirely up to him? And is the Malaysian night race definite now?

Fuck I hate Bernie! F1 belongs and deserves to be in Australia full stop. They haven't even had 1 night race yet and that little elf is putting all his eggs in one basket? It's this type of attitude that he has that is turning people off of the sport and he doesn't give a toss.

I remember we had to go through similar tough times with Montreal a couple of years ago and it sucked not knowing what was going on.

Why doesn't he boot off one of the always boring races like Bahrain or something? Montreal and Melbourne are always two of the best for the year. Monaco used to be great, back when there was actually action.

I've got an idea. Get rid of one of the Spanish races as it's obvious sporting organisations in Spain have done nothing to combat racism after the multiple instances against black footballers the past few years. How they could tolerate fans last weekend in Barcelona testing to hurl racist abuse at Hamilton and dress up in racist costumes is beyond me. Fines are not doing anything, so they should be punished in another form and be made an example of.

They're trying to downplay it obviously. How on earth these fans have twisted it that Alonso was abused at McLaren is utterly mind boggling. And to also put the blame on England hooliganism is even more insane.

Circuit de Catalunya director Ramon Pradera said that coverage of the incident had been "taken out of context". "I was present at all times and we cannot generalise the actions of four of five individuals in comparison with the 50,000 spectators that were here at the weekend," he said.

However, Consejo( a spectator) dismissed the notion that an insignificant number of spectators were behind the abuse. "This was not isolated incident," he wrote, "but the general conduct of some 3,500 fans in the main stand."

However, judging by various comments posted on newspaper websites, not all Spaniards were prepared to profer their sympathy to Hamilton.

"It is incredible that a country like Great Britain calls itself anti-racist when its biggest gift to world sport is hooliganism. Hypocrites," wrote 'thisisengland', while 'pedro9' posted: "Last year, it was okay for [the English] to abuse Alonso and we didn't see any Spanish political bigwig protesting!"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ma...rView&xml=/sport/2008/02/04/umhamilton404.xml

Slipstream said:
I've got an idea. Get rid of one of the Spanish races as it's obvious sporting organisations in Spain have done nothing to combat racism after the multiple instances against black footballers the past few years. How they could tolerate fans last weekend in Barcelona testing to hurl racist abuse at Hamilton and dress up in racist costumes is beyond me. Fines are not doing anything, so they should be punished in another form and be made an example of.

How about taking away Nurburg? They already have a race, they just make another one and call it the "European" round.

COBL_04 said:

How about taking away Nurburg? They already have a race, they just make another one and call it the "European" round.

Germany only has one race. The German GP is shared bi-annually between Nürburgring (former home of the European Grand Prix) and Hockenheim.

Spain now has two races with Valencia hosting the Euro GP and Catalunya hosting the Spanish GP.

With the current popularity of Alonso they won't be dumping either Spanish race.

Slipstream said:

Germany only has one race. The German GP is shared bi-annually between Nürburgring (former home of the European Grand Prix) and Hockenheim.

Spain now has two races with Valencia hosting the Euro GP and Catalunya hosting the Spanish GP.

Oh ok, didn't know that. When did that change? Which is it this year? Hockenheim or Nurburgring?

This year the German Grand Prix will be held in Hockenheim. And I think they started this last year with the race at the Nürburgring so now it's Hockenheim's turn.

A race at the Nordschleife with modern F1 cars will never happen. Too dangerous and the track is much to long (laptimes of 7/8 minutes :ohmy:) for a modern race despite the fact that it is a great track. But you can dream about it :wink:

Adam'sbaby said:
A race at the Nordschleife with modern F1 cars will never happen. Too dangerous and the track is much to long (laptimes of 7/8 minutes :ohmy:) for a modern race despite the fact that it is a great track. But you can dream about it :wink:
And they should make the F1 drivers pay for the Armco barriers they take out when they crash, just like the Nordschleife makes regular drivers do :drool:

Qualifying was pretty exciting last night. One of the few races in the year where it's on at a reasonable hour here on the Pacific side of Canada. Hamilton pulled off a great final lap for pole with Kubica almost getting it but he had that slide. Couldn't help but smirk seeing FA out of Q3.

Race tonight should be interesting with Kimi way down the starting grid and the Beemers up there looking good. How about Red Bull? They've been quick all weekend and I look forward to how they will fair. I've pegged DC for points!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom