The 2008 FIA Formula 1 World Championship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was an interesting race. Kimi and his useless attempts to overtake and then braking down in the end. Just like his teammate Massa. :tongue:

So many drivers didn't make it to the finishline. I was amazed. I felt bad for Bourdais he could have finished his first Formula 1 race in fourth place.

Not much happening up front. Hamilton had a very comfy race. Interesting to see a Williams on the podium again and Heidfeld in his BMW Sauber. I would love to see the Williams team win races again! :yes:

Alonso managed to finish in fourth place with some hard work and a bit of luck. What happened to Kovalainen there? I heard he accidently pressed the speedlimiter button or something. :eyebrow:

By the way, Heidfeld looked really exhausted just before the guys went on the podium for the ceremony. He's getting old :wink:

Wow, BBC got the rights back to televise F1 at it's traditional home starting next year. ITV, who've been showing it the past 12 years, said it was a commercial decision on their part. Murray Walker when hearing the news said there is more to this than meets the eye.

What I'm worried about is Canada's coverage now. Canadian sports channel TSN, who show the ITV feed, will have to make a new deal with BBC. They used to show it when it was the BBC so I'm sure it's not a problem. I wonder what will happen with Brundle, Allen, and Louise. I hope Brundle and Louise at least get a job with BBC. I reckon with Allen's unpopularity he will be out of a job.

Speaking of Murray, check out these highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySTUEpCP8E

LOL...."Now if Alesi has run out of petrol...ah...I could use an Anglo Saxon expression...you can see by the body language of the Benetton mechanics that they are Ab-so-lutely furious! Ohhh Jean, you may well look a bit worried, you got a major problem sunshine."

Last edited:
This Mosely thing is disturbing. I think he admitted as much that it was him in the vid. He hasn't denied it anyway and the anger against him is gaining so I think his days are numbered.

A leading person from an F1 team said, "It’s a credibility and judgment issue – fantasising about one of the greatest tragedies of the 20th century is obviously completely inappropriate.”

Better details of the story from Time - http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1728032,00.html

Last edited:
Grand Prix of Bahrein: Race Results

1 F. Massa Ferrari
2 K. Räikkönen Ferrari
3 R. Kubica BMW
4 N. Heidfeld BMW
5 H. Kovalainen McLaren
6 J. Trulli Toyota
7 M. Webber Red Bull
8 N. Rosberg Williams
9 T. Glock Toyota
10 F. Alonso Renault

BMW turns out to be a really strong team with steady results. Hamilton didn't score any points at all this race and Alonso wasn't up to much either this race. Massa did a good job and Kubica still managed to stay on the podium eventhough he couldn't hold on to first place after scoring his first poleposition. Oh well, maybe next time...

Kubica, sadly, was never going to win. Ferrari and McLaren are still sreets ahead.

Sadly as well Webber's never going to win a race, I've realised, and will always be around the 6th mark. A podium from a bit of luck is the best he can hope for I'm afraid,

Hey BonoManiac... re your location... what language is that? French or Spanish or something? Cos italian would be Luna dello spazio.. which doesn't sound as good.

Do you speak french?? I'm gonna look like a right fool he and assume you do, and ask if this line makes sense.

pour le monde pas pour la guerre

its meant to mean for the world, not for the war, so shouldn't it be:

pour le monde ne pas pour la guerre? what does the pas mean? and anyone know what the y or the upside down ? means in spanish?

i hope you learn/speak french. :lol:

Gotta feel for Sato and Davidson. shame they never got a real shot.

Yes I speak French. I'm tri-lingual, with French being my second language, and Italian being the third.

the sentence, "pour le monde pas pour la guerre" means, "for the world, not for war", hence the word "pas" means "not". My grasp of French grammar is not the best, but I know that this is the correct translation. In some instances, "ne" means "do", like in the sentence "Je ne sais pas" ( I do not know). But your use of "ne" is wrong, however.

And from my understanding, the y in Spanish means "and"

Ah... okay. See some French teacher at our school told us that "ne pas" means not.

I'm learning Italian at the moment, and I've got an ok grip on it, though it's very hard to see myself ever being fluent. The oral and listening components are where I fall down.

COBL_04 said:
Ah... okay. See some French teacher at our school told us that "ne pas" means not.

I'm learning Italian at the moment, and I've got an ok grip on it, though it's very hard to see myself ever being fluent. The oral and listening components are where I fall down.

Actually, I may have erred a bit. "ne pas" means "don't", I believe. Sorry, it was 1 o'clock in the morning when I responded.

Don't give up. French and Italian aren't easy, simply because there are so-ooo many exceptions and rules, but once you learn one, the other will be easier to understand.

Oh, agreed. I can actually understand a bunch of French stuff, just because a lot of it is similar to Italian.

The reason I'm not flying is because when I have to speak, it doesn't just roll of my tongue, if you know what I mean, I have to think about what I want to say in English, translate, then order it in my head.

Massa and Raikkonen finished 1-2 in Monaco qualifying this morning, followed by the two McLarens. If both Ferrari drivers get a quick start and stay ahead of the pack they should be able to finish in the top two, barring any mechanical failures, of course. :hyper:

Very entertaining race today.

And congratulations to Kiwi Scott Dixon on your Indy 500 win.

Two things for next year:

I need to get there earlier to actually see some of the race from the infield (they totally took out all the infield "hills" in turn one and shortened up the lawn at turn four).

I would like to see more racing and less crashing

Fantastic race, plenty of incidents, made it worth watching.

WEBBER :rockon:

Bloody Raikkonen though, cost Sutil five points.

Great drive by Hamilton

So the front row for tomorrow's Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal will be Lewis Hamilton and Robert Kubica (who suffered a horrible crash here last year). They will be followed by Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso.

I'm looking forward to it! Should be an event-filled race as usual. :hyper:

Today's race was a very entertaining one indeed.

Unfortunately, Kimi Raikkonen was taken out by Lewis Hamilton when Raikkonen stopped at a red light in the pit lane and Hamilton rear-ended him. :banghead:

But all was not lost for Ferrari. Felipe Massa pulled two unbelievable manoeuvres, first when in one fell swoop he went from 6th to 4th by passing Rubens Barrichello and Kovaleinen and later when he passed Jarno Trulli for 5th position with a few laps to go.

But congrats to Robert Kubica who won his first career race here, at the very track where he was in a horrible crash just one year ago. :up:

I can't stay awake or watch the interesting races... but I see like half of the shit-boring ones. Fucking typical.

:banghead:

Was Webber ever looking to get a podium finish??

Awesome for Sauber. I always liked Sauber, they'll always be Sauber to me, I wish Peter was still around, and the green was still there.

If Heidfeld can win a race, and Webber gets another bunch of really decent finishes, then I'll be pretty happy with this year.

Shame for Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson... they were both pretty talented guys who never got their big chance...

This is good news. Melbourne set to stay with a deal to 2015!

A deal is expected to be signed off with Grand Prix bosses within days, extending Melbourne's contract by five years, News Limited reports.

A verbal agreement has been reached and a senior government source confirmed the race would stay in Melbourne, saying an announcement was "imminent".

F1 to stay in Melbourne until 2015 - Breaking News - Sport - Breaking News

Fantastic to hear, though I don't get why they made it a twilight race. All that'll do will make the locals complain more... the race will finish roughly 6:30, it'll still be daylight.

I hate twilight crap. You have to wait all day.

We just had a fantastic race, people!! So happy for Rubens to finish third.

Love him or hate him, and I don't see why anybody would, Lewis Hamilton has been sensational in his last two races. I think he and McLaren are really in the groove and should probably win in Hungary. After the three week break who knows, but right now, they are on fire.

Well, I was hoping, of course, that Ferrari would win the Italian Grand Prix. An Italian team won, but not the one I was hoping for! Twenty-one-year-old Sebastien Vettel from Scuderia Toro Rosso, Red Bull's second team, which uses Ferrari engines, had a superb race from start to finish and becomes the youngest driver to win a race. :applaud:

Well done! It was weird hearing the German and Italian national anthems after the race. It reminded me a little of when I used to hear that regularly during the Michael Schumacher era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom