Tennis affairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickey

The Fly
Ok, admittedly, I must have a man-crush on Roger Federer. After Bono, Roger Fed is the most accomplished male out there that grabs my attention. Watching him on slo-mo replays navigate a court is poetry in motion - especially so when contrasted against the rest of the field.

The man is a genius on a tennis court. I've wanted to play bono at times in those last secretive thoughts before one falls asleep, I've wanted to belt an angry Sunday Bloody Sunday, with that kind of...force, and now I imagine playing tennis or anything really with the sort of grace, poise, calm and ease that Roger Federer radiates.

For a Canuck to say Tennis is now my fav sport to watch - truthfully, I was more excited about Roland Garros than this year's Stanley Cup finals - is blasphemous. But tennis today is that good. Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal...Nadal-Fed, Fed-Nadal...it's just too good at this point.

pancake_bunny.jpg

i'm pretty good at tennis, and i'm pretty confident he would beat me 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. if i were to get a game off of him, i would consider it equal to hitting a hole in one in golf.

:drool:

At all times after training I think: ok, why not give up training? I feel like everyone could beat me anyway, my service still sucks after years, blabla...but mostly because of this: *lol* :sigh:
and now I imagine playing tennis or anything really with the sort of grace, poise, calm and ease that Roger Federer radiates.

No silly, Bono (as far as I'm aware of at this moment) doesn't play tennis competitively. However I'm certain if he could take time away from Rock and Roll, Global tours, reversing desertification in the Kalahari, kicking himself over and over for not inserting "gonna last with you longer than SOME of your friends" - as opposed to ...THAN your friends - in Cedars of Lebanon (because grand standing statements of fact make you look stupid when they are veiled options/thought), and oh yeah, possibly trying to locate angst and strife when you're THAT successful (cause angst, strife, bleeding hearts and evil government is so much more cooler in art/music/literature) AND, he decides to have a go at a tennis career, well, he would probably be good at it.

He just seems like one of those sorts who might be good at anything he tries.

Maybe its just me but "man-crush" personally (as a straight guy) equates to whom I'd like to be/emulate/have aspects of within my own personality.

Personally, I'd love to have the silent, effortless, killer aspects of Roger Federer's approach to the sport. I tend to be somewhat clumsy, always have to work double-hard and generally seem the opposite of suave, elegant and classy. The very real problem is that I'm also quite successful at what I've chosen to do in life and well, I'd just like to have a bit more Roger Federer in me.

Ugh - the very last person I'd want to be like is Rafa Nadal. I love his heart, tenacity and sheer ferocity, but I've already got some of these covered - or so I like to believe.

@ Mickey...my original contribution (and I use the term loosely) to this thread was totally not aimed at you, I only just now noticed that you had referenced Bono in the initial post. I was makin a wisecrack at someone else...I guess not a very good one! ;)

don't tell my girlfriend and we'll call it quits. She's already plenty miffed I've been watching so much tennis the past month.

where's that shovel gone off to now?

Try to get her to watch the round of 16 with you when Tommy Haas plays. Or Juan Carlos Ferrero. Or Fernando Verdasco. Or Roddick. Or Soderling (win-win, you get the Fed with that one!). You shouldn't have any more complaints after that. :sexywink:

:shifty:

Completely not a good idea. I've already spent years crafting my lazy-ass-but-happy image. You don't know Meg, if she takes a shine to tennis, next she'll ask I win Rolland Garos in her honor. As it is I already owe her: a) chocolate mountain b) largest sapphire ever - which I have to personally unearth as its "more meaningful" c) lapis lazuli bathroom somewhere in the middle of an ocean d) don't recollect a specific exchange of the very, but she claims I promised her a universe.

Completely not a good idea. I've already spent years crafting my lazy-ass-but-happy image. You don't know Meg, if she takes a shine to tennis, next she'll ask I win Rolland Garos in her honor. As it is I already owe her: a) chocolate mountain b) largest sapphire ever - which I have to personally unearth as its "more meaningful" c) lapis lazuli bathroom somewhere in the middle of an ocean d) don't recollect a specific exchange of the very, but she claims I promised her a universe.
you never promised her a rose garden?

Back
Top Bottom