Sochi 2014 - XXII Olympic Winter Games

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pBR5pGr.jpg

How much better would figure skating be?

I like the figure skating. It's one of the few things I like about the Winter Olympics. I like to watch them fall and eat shit.

Also the twitter posts about the bathrooms and hotel rooms are hilarious.

Yeah, how on earth figure skating is an Olympic sport is just beyond me, like the rhythmic gymnastics and sychronised swimming.

The slopestyle snowboarding just now was pretty cool.

When are they on though? The TV guide rather unhelpfully doesn't break down Ten's coverage.

Right now. Hopefully it's a 9pm start every night.

Just put the telly back on and it looks like opening ceremony highlights. I've got better things to do than watch Vladimir Putin being introduced in three languages! Did I miss them?

I like figure skating, I just wish we got an even amount of Broadcasting if each event.

But who cares? I have my computer and an HDMI cable. Bring on luge!

EDIT: I am stick at work right now. I had no idea luge was on at this exact moment... Holy shit I'm a psychic or something.

Also, I don't know if I've mentioned yet, but I love luge, a lot, and am now really sad to know I'm missing it.

Sicy's like a lot of people I know though it's what they actually want to see during the games. But I agree with the idea that it gets an inordinate amount of prime coverage on NBC proper.

Loved figure skating when I was a kid, but that was because it was sooo dramatic what with people getting whacked in the knees and all. I also loved watching the more artistic skaters like Michelle Kwan. I don't follow it much anymore but I will watch during the Olympics.

PS. The team competition is dumb.

PPS. Gold in Slopestyle! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Yeah, how on earth figure skating is an Olympic sport is just beyond me

:rolleyes:

Dude, it was the FIRST winter olympic sport! There's huge tradition there. And a looooooooooong history of dramatic turns in the events. It's massively popular. The individual countries that compete in it care a lot about figure skating. For the host country this year, it's probably what they care most about. Same for Japan, etc. The skaters are simultaneously graceful and powerful, and very athletic. They do dangerous shit in the air with only ice to break their fall. And the skaters wear elaborate and revealing costumes.

It's beyond you?

I'm really not sure why people are so harsh on the sport itself. It's incredibly difficult and I'm super impressed by those who can do it. I've tried ice skating once. Just ice skating. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever attempted, which surprised me, being quite the inline skater back in the day.

sure, they're very talented at skating on ice and I'm sure it's very difficult. but as Ax rightly says, it's fucking dancing on ice. it ain't a sport. it's rubbish, just like the synchronised swimming at the summer Olympics. and every TV station insists on covering every goddamn second of it. more of the biathlon please.

I'm sure it's very difficult. but as Ax rightly says, it's fucking dancing on ice. it ain't a sport.

You know, I agree that it's a definite outlier because of the totally subjective measurement of the "artistic" requirements, but ... "it ain't a sport"?

Have you ever tried leaping off an icy surface, spinning around 2 1/2 (or more) times in the air, and landing back on the ice, on one foot, on a blade that's 4 mm wide?

It does, you know, require quite a fucking bit of athletic capabilities to do that. And do it multiple times within the span of 4 minutes.

(Ice dancing specifically, on the other hand .... I've never been as interested in that. But I think that's even the outlier of figure skating itself, as there are no jumps or even lifts. Although zoney's wife might come in here and give me a big scolding about that.)

Try that shit and tell me it's not a sport. Some people consider bowling a sport and any idiot can do that. Standing up straight for a few seconds on ice skates is beyond most people.

Is it a lame sport? Maybe, but that's totally subjective. There is an intense amount of athleticism involved in figure skating.

Last edited:
Well, it's certainly not a sport I have any interest in watching. I can certainly respect that it's very skillful. But I'd rather watch chess, or poker, or darts. Shit I'll even watch soccer over it.

I thought figure skating was cool in 1994 cos it was the first Winter Olympics I watched. But it was also broadcast in moderation, it seemed, cos I also watched a ton of skiing, speed skating, bobsledding, luge, etc.

Ever since that, literally every time the Winter Olympics rolled around and I turned on the tv, the only thing I've ever seen on has been figure skating. And that bores me to tears. Even after they added snowboarding, I swear I've never seen them show anything other than figure skating on tv. At that point, I might as well be watching a fucking ballet rather than a conglomeration of world class athletes compete in a variety of sports as the s on the end of "games" implies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom