Sochi 2014 - XXII Olympic Winter Games

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you saying that there's no comparable non-stop US coverage? Given the monumental figures of money that get bounced around re: US TV rights, I'd have assumed the coverage would be unrelenting and everywhere.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe NSW has some insight on that?

They have daytime coverage on some of the other NBC-owned channels, but they save the "big" events for the primetime coverage.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe NSW has some insight on that?

They have daytime coverage on some of the other NBC-owned channels, but they save the "big" events for the primetime coverage.

That's just baffling, especially since you folks actually do winter sports and take them seriously, while here it's just a bit of a diversion (though a bit more of a serious diversion in the last decade ever since Australia started actually winning medals).

How nice that America gets advanced and their bitter rival South Korea gets DQ'ed with one impeding wipe of the arm in the short track relay semifinal. Oh and Canada is out thanks to a fall. Gold should come down to the US and China but anything can happen, especially with Ahn now skating for Russia. And yeah, that women's 500m final was insane.

So Torah Bright is already pretty hot. Then you add her incredible bubbly, positive, down-to-earth, non-media-talky personality, and you have the hottest woman on the planet.

TorahBrightSnowboardShimmy.gif

She really is pretty great.

Let me sit all you down and tell you about a network called NBC...

Please continue.

More people are messing up their landings than succeeding at them in the aerials. :/

Trust the two competitors from my country to fuck up the landing twice in exactly the same way. :lol:

So, you know how we were talking about how nice the camaraderie is in the snowboarding events. Well, not so much in the ladies skeleton. Apparently, the US and the Brits don't like each other much. In 2010 the US protested the Brit Gold medalists helmet and last year the Brits protested a piece of tape on the US sled.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next few minutes.

So, you know how we were talking about how nice the camaraderie is in the snowboarding events. Well, not so much in the ladies skeleton. Apparently, the US and the Brits don't like each other much. In 2010 the US protested the Brit Gold medalists helmet and last year the Brits protested a piece of tape on the US sled.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next few minutes.

The brits won pretty free and clear today, so hopefully they're content I with that :wink:

Would've liked our girl to win, her story is so awesome, but silver is certainly sufficient.

Having had the Super Combined spoiled for me, skeleton was the only remaining decent event today, the rest of it is a snoozefest.

He pretty clearly messed up a couple of his jumps. And his point ceiling wasn't nearly as high as a lot of the people who finished ahead of him because he doesn't even attempt a quad (!).

Still, 9th place in the world is pretty damn good for such an inexperienced international skater. He seemed happy.

The commentators agreed. The aborted attempt at a jump should not have counted as a jump. Therefore, his real 7th leap was not graded and he received a zero for the non-jump. He probably would've come in 5th or 6th otherwise. He wouldn't have medaled, surely, he did mess up a lot of technicals, but I really like the guy and am really excited to see him in the future.

So, what's the deal with Plushenko retiring before the Men's free? That's really lame, if I'm understanding the situation right...he prevented someone else from going to this Olympics by nabbing the last spot on the team, didn't he?

Canada let me down ... I taped all the coverage today to catch the long program, and they only showed Patrick Chan and the Japanese guy. LAME! (Although I was amused that they split-screened the hockey game and Patrick Chan when he was performing live; they showed his performance again with music later.)

Guess I'll DVR NBC tonight to catch the Americans, even though I know the outcome.

Edit: although they're showing other skaters in the nightly highlight program, which is weird. sorry I just turned it on now. I wonder who all I've missed? oh well.

The way they run the luge and skeleton makes it really boring. The leader lays down his/her time and then everyone else afterwards falls in behind. They should do it in reverse order.

How the heck does anyone get into Luge vs bobsled vs skeleton?

Do they just realize one day they want to go down an icy tube really fast, and then someone declares which mode they will use to accomplish that goal?

US Speed Skating better hope Shani Davis or Brittany Bowe come away with a medal in their final events to vindicate throwing the fucking LOCKHEED MARTIN designed suits under the bus for their failures thus far, otherwise that's going to look really, really embarrassing.

How the heck does anyone get into Luge vs bobsled vs skeleton?

Do they just realize one day they want to go down an icy tube really fast, and then someone declares which mode they will use to accomplish that goal?

So I'm not the only person to wonder this? Were they like, man, I really loved sledding as a kid, how can I take that and turn it into world-recognized athletic prestige? I just don't get where/how one finds luge/bobsled coaches/teams/places to practice and get their foot in the door. But then again, I've never seen a drive thru liquor store either, and people have assured me they exist in their parts of the world.

I can imagine it as such: random dude walks into the extreme sledding pro shop, and says, "hey I wanna slide down an icy tube really fast, possibly in the Olympic, can you help me with my dream?" And then random dude is given an aptitude test consisting of questions like, do you prefer to compete solo or as a team? like sliding on your back or stomach? How much disregard for possible personal injury/death do you have?

Massive win for the US today. Vegas odds had us placing 4th, but fuck that. I want us to at least medal.

Back
Top Bottom