Rio 2016 Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, let me put it this way: I never watched more women's beach volleyball than when I was thirteen and didn't have the Internet.

also, i wasn't aware that there was a Gabby Douglas controversy? i guess a few people on twitter says something about her not putting her hand over her heart? these people are idiots and fools and likely Trump voters, but is this really something from which we can extrapolate "how we talk" about social issues?

Except that dominated her post-competition press conference, during which she cried and left in tears. You had reporters from reputable places like the Washington Post asking her about it, writing articles about it, etc. May have started on Twitter but she took a lot more grief for it than a "few" tweets.

And this is why no one cares about men's beach volleyball. The only reason people watch women's is cos they're in bikinis.

Men's beach volleyball is actually really boring because it is dominated by spikes. Because of the height and power of a typical male beach volleyball player, you don't see many long rallies, whereas the women's game is much more back and forth and interesting to watch. If the men had 3 players on rather than just two, you'd already see a huge difference in the style of play.

It's a shame the hammer throw and pole vault were on at the same time.

and thus my love of NBC's coverage, at least, because I can easily watch both, just one will be on demand.

Or because beach volleyball is awesome?
Beach volleyball is just about my least favorite thing. I'm glad the fervor for it seems to be dying down. Seems like a frikkin bro drinking game that someone snuck into the Olympics as as joke.

i find men's volleyball in general to be much less interesting to watch because the game is just too fast, and you're right it's because all spikes and aces. beach volleyball is cool as hell for about 15 minutes and then it just gets tedious to watch unless there are medals on the line. but it gets ratings cuz bikinis so it's gonna be in the olympics forever.

So much on right now with finals in the track, javelin, and high jump. Trying to channel surf and keep up with all three is proving a challenge. Great to see Nick Willis get bronze in the 1500m.

The end of that 5000 was so exciting. Mo Farah is incredible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

No kidding. I thought he was going to be overtaken and then he found more in the tank.

And what about that high jump final! The last time anybody who jumped less than 2m got a medal of any colour was bronze in 2000. This year? A 37 year old woman who came out of retirement beat a whole pack of youngsters - and only jumped 1.97 to do it!

US men's basketball totally dominating Serbia, such a big country going against a small, young one, is to be expected, I guess. Still impressed that European bb is competitive, great that it is played all over the world!

The Tokyo games are gonna be off the chain. Fast-forward to 2020 pls.

Don't forget that we get all the thrills and excitement* of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in 2018! :happy:

*thrills and excitement not guaranteed

Abe with the Mario hat was very amusing, but he's still a buffoon. Don't get too sucked in.

He's their Tony Abbott ... it would take you no time at all to look him up and his party.

Olympics partially ruined by Channel 7 and their lame and almost insulting approach to parochialism and cross-promotion. Bolt, Phelps, Ledecky, Farah and Biles only got a smidgeon of screen time compared with Zumbo.

I really enjoyed Foxtel's coverage across no less than 7 channels four years ago.

Remarkably the other day, Channel 7's main channel had the women's pole vault final on some sort of half hour delay, while on 7Two, the pole vault final was genuinely live. Just bizarre.

Track events and artistic gymnastics were my favourite competitions of these games.

Sad that it's over.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Back
Top Bottom