Rio 2016 Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10k race was really entertaining at the end. And despite that fall, too. Just awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app

Kei is my favorite tennis player. I'm really sad I haven't been able to watch much beyond his rather awful first match.

But it's mostly the same, he comes up just a bit short. Will be cool if he can take bronze though.

How many events did you watch her compete in to win a medal?

Pentathlon is five events horse jumping, fencing, pistol shooting, swimming, and cross country.

Maybe you get a different version of the games in Canada?

Last edited:
Actually it's heptathlon and it's seven track and field events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the one I watched, and she did well.
She and her husband seem like really decent people, I hope he does well in his event, too.

How many events did you watch her compete in to win a medal?

Pentathlon is five events horse jumping, fencing, pistol shooting, swimming, and cross country.

Maybe you get a different version of the games in Canada?

okay. I got the name of the event wrong. ya got me :shrug:

Holy shit the 100m and 400m were incredible. I know Bolt's a slow starter, but at 50m I was wondering if he was out of it, if that fucker Gatlin was too far enough in front - and then Bolt totally mowed him down, it was beautiful.

But if anything the 400m was even more stunning. Wayde van Niekerk, in lane fucking eight, obliterated the world record. The way he kicked on for the final straight was breathtaking.

What a great morning of sport. Thank god I could stream it at work, I'd have been shattered to miss seeing that live.

I caught a clip of the 400m with CNN (I think) commentary. I feel so sorry for you Americans having to put up with that histrionic bullshit.

Here's two clips that show you how sports commentary should be done from the master Bruce McAvaney.

Sometimes you forget that Bruce is more than just a footy commentator. You can tell he's in his element at these Games.

Somebody send BT over there and get him to try to call, well, anything. :lol:

I actually can't fathom how a human being can be so strong that he can run 100 metres that quick and still make it look relatively pedestrian. I can't wrap my head around it.

I actually can't fathom how a human being can be so strong that he can run 100 metres that quick and still make it look relatively pedestrian. I can't wrap my head around it.

Don't forget he also didn't even run the qualifiers for his country because he was out with an Achilles injury. He's absurd.

Track and field was incredible tonight. I feel bad for the 400m, because it was a better race than the 100m, but will be forgotten in the Bolt craziness. Winning from lane 8 is just insane, but maybe it was what pushed him to break the WR.

The 100m was cool, but it had the weakest times since Athens. Bolt's 9s81 wouldn't haven medalled in London. But hopefully Bolt will be emboldened to pull off the triple-triple, since tonight's was probably his hardest challenge.

The 400m was better but the heavyweight race still delivered. He had a poor start, so was reacting to Gatlin, and it was the same group of competitors as London mostly, and it was awesome to watch.

I prefer the longer races in general -- so I much preferred the 400 to the 100. The 100 is exciting, but ends so quickly. There's something thrilling about runners coming around a turn that the 100 lacks.

I can't root for Gatlin. I vote him and Hope Solo the biggest Team USA villains.

Nice to see Bolt continue to win for Jamaica. He's clearly better than the rest.

Bolt is amazing, his achievement to me is the greatest.

The reason I say that is that virtually every human in history has gotten into a foot race at some point in their life. Racing each other as kids, running to catch the bus, jogging, using a treadmill, doing charity races, etc. It is basically almost guaranteed that there is no faster person than Bolt out there, because even in the remotest African villages, runners are uniformly identified these days.

Versus how many people have rowed a boat? Gotten on a diving board? Swam at all, much less swam the butterfly? Speed skated in an Olympic oval, or even ice skated.

He is incredible.

No doubt, incredible.

So, in your view, the "best" athlete can only ever be the winner of the men's 100m no matter what happened in any other sport anywhere in the world?

No, I actually think you can't compare best athletes across disparate sports. To me it's incredibly pointless and stupid. I don't think that one can say that Phelps is better than Michael Jordan or that Gretzky is better than them both, you know what I mean? You would really have to twist yourself into a pretzel to find any sort of metrics that would come up with an objective measure.

My point in being so amazed by Bolt's particular achievement is, like I said, there is almost zero chance that there is anyone out there who could conceivably be faster than him. He *knows* he is the fastest man on earth (just using the 100m measure). I don't think that athletes in sports like tennis or swimming or gymnastics or sailing can actually say that. There could be lots of kids out there who didn't get a chance, who never had an opportunity to learn to swim, or the facilities to learn to ice skate, etc. Even taking the extreme example of the best (Phelps), you can't actually be sure that there isn't some kid out there who had a better build or skill, etc but he didn't even learn to swim. It's probably not likely but it's more likely than in the case of Bolt.

i agree that cross-sport comparisons are pointless (if fun after a few beers and done with good intentions). there is no objective measure, which is why one has to make a case or argument (and ultimately agree to disagree).

i don't think, however, that we can say for certain that no one alive could beat Bolt, because culture has so much to do with athletic success. it could be that if Bolt were born in West Philadelphia, he might be playing in the NBA or NFL. or if he were born in Ghana he would be playing football/soccer. you're right that everyone runs, but not everyone pursues track -- many great runners note their ability to run, and then gravitate towards other sports often based on where they live, who their parents are, etc. Jamaica has a strong tradition in track, which has lots to do with Bolt's success. culture matters. i found this article really interesting:

How do Jamaicans do it? It’s not because of genetics, as some claim. A vast majority of Jamaicans’ ancestors are from West Africa, which has relatively few outstanding sprinters. Nor can genetics explain why Jamaicans outperform other blacks in the Americas, especially in Brazil, which has 36 times as many of them.

Ask a Jamaican like me (I was born and raised there), and we’ll give you a very different answer: Champs. Officially called the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association Boys and Girls Athletics Championship, Champs is an annual competition attended by 30,000 wildly enthusiastic fans. Jamaica is perhaps the only country in the world where a track and field meet is the premier sporting event.

But it’s not just Champs. The competition is one part of a broader framework — track and field is huge at every educational level, with periodic regional meets drawing athletes of all ages from the most remote rural areas. So the real question is, why is Jamaica nuts for track?

Part of the answer is institutional. The British first introduced organized and informal athletics, and interscholastic competition, to Jamaica and other colonies in the late 19th century. One of Jamaica’s founding fathers, N. W. Manley, was the greatest student athlete of his generation; later, as the revered head of state, he tirelessly promoted track and field.

Jamaica quickly stood out from other Caribbean islands in extending these competitions from elite white schools to those of the nonwhite classes. Starting early in the 20th century, several outstanding athletes, like G. C. Foster, emerged as role models, mentors and promoters of the sport, and they identified and trained the next generation of talent.

Back
Top Bottom