Rio 2016 Olympics - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure

Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
Well...not always. Salt Lake City's 2002 Olympics were very profitable. Made about $100 M in profit, of which 72 M was set aside as an endowment to maintain facilities which continues today.
As Mitt Romney reminded us so many times in his presidential run.

The clincher really is whether you have pre-existing facilities that have a viable future after the games. But then even in 2012 London the games were a net loss. The best example of Olympics going awry is Greece in the early 2000s: borrowed enormous amounts of money and imported enormous amounts of materials, only to allow the stadiums promptly to fall into disrepair.

This is a good concise article on the economic dilemma:
Just say no | The Economist

Old 07-27-2016, 02:46 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Hey my country is hosting Olympics in 4 years.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:04 PM
I did say ideally.

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I can't blame anyone who doesn't attend due to Zika fears.
Why though? What is there to truly be afraid of? From what I can understand, the only thing out of the norm scary of Zika from any other virus / cold we're used to is the name...
Old 07-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I did say ideally.

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app
I agree with your broader point, though: these events are super costly and often lead to deficits, but if people are boycotting/skipping for a variety of artificial reasons (or, more accurately perhaps, legitimate reasons that get overplayed into generating fear and anxiety), then you are really screwed. Even the small benefits of tourist influx will be below expectations.

Anyways:

Women's soccer starts next Wednesday. Men's soccer on Thursday. The Olympics are the only soccer tournament that Brazil has never won (they came close in 2012, losing to Mexico in the final), so they brought some heavyweights to play, including Neymar. Should be fun.

I'm really curious about the opening ceremony.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Why though? What is there to truly be afraid of? From what I can understand, the only thing out of the norm scary of Zika from any other virus / cold we're used to is the name...
If I were a female athlete who wanted to become pregnant, and/or a male athlete who was planning on having kids in the next 2-3 years, it would absolutely make a difference as to whether or not I participated.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

lets not kill any more jaguars or any other wild animals in the ceremonies, shall we?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:05 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Hey, gump. Point well taken. Many apologies for my "bring on the shitshow" post of schadenfreude. I do hope they go well for all involved.

That being said, I will be out there in the streets fighting against the mere idea if Seattle ever gets on the roster to host the games.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Shrunken baby heads don't happen when pregnant women catch a cold.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Hey, gump. Point well taken. Many apologies for my "bring on the shitshow" post of schadenfreude. I do hope they go well for all involved.

That being said, I will be out there in the streets fighting against the mere idea if Seattle ever gets on the roster to host the games.
Oh don't worry about it, I don't take these things personally at all! My complaint is really about journalists/athletes that are out there but try to paint a picture that is quite one-sided. I like a good, self-deprecating laugh about the mess from time to time (trust me, we Brazilians will laugh/complain/yell at the mess more than anyone else).

If New York was to try and host the games, I'd be joining the march against it too.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
As Mitt Romney reminded us so many times in his presidential run.

The clincher really is whether you have pre-existing facilities that have a viable future after the games. But then even in 2012 London the games were a net loss. The best example of Olympics going awry is Greece in the early 2000s: borrowed enormous amounts of money and imported enormous amounts of materials, only to allow the stadiums promptly to fall into disrepair.

This is a good concise article on the economic dilemma:
Just say no | The Economist

while i love the idea of different cities across the globe hosting, and it's a lovely 2-week postcard (remember the high diving in Barcelona? fucking gorgeous backdrop) for a city that might benefit from tourism, i wonder if a solution might be to have, say, 4-5 cities that rotate hosting the Games every four years. cities that have done it before and have the money and infrastructure to absorb all those people and provide athletes with optimal settings to perform. like ... L.A., Sydney, London, Tokyo, maybe even Beijing?

i love the Olympics, always will. i have faith that Brazil will pull it off, but it does seem like an awfully big ask of people who really may have bigger things to worry about (like open gang warfare and police departments without any toilet paper).

lastly, i get that NBC pays a fuckton of money, but it would be nice if they wouldn't dick over the athletes for ratings. they want the US to march later in the opening ceremonies because the US begins with an "E" in Brazilian Portuguese, and they moved the swimming finals to a 10pm start date because Michael Phelps = ratings. it's an unholy hour to have finals, arguably more of an athlete fuck up than Beijing's morning finals.

also, i'm fine with the Russia ban. fuck Putin.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Why is that?
Just a mixture of a lot of things, to be overly broad. For instance, the depleted tennis event is a bit of a bummer.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
also, i'm fine with the Russia ban. fuck Putin.
I'm fine with the idea of banning a participating nation as a result of doping, the thing I absolutely don't have confidence in is that these same standards would be applied to say, hypothetically, a major western nation. It's too easy to do this to Russia given their standing among the west.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Rio 2016 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I'm fine with the idea of banning a participating nation as a result of doping, the thing I absolutely don't have confidence in is that these same standards would be applied to say, hypothetically, a major western nation. It's too easy to do this to Russia given their standing among the west.

The critical difference is the evidence we have of tampering with tests at the state level. All countries have cheaters.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, agreed.