Rio 2016 Olympics - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure

Old 08-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:10 AM
While we are on the topic of swimming, can somebody more in tune with the sport than me explain why there should be 4 styles in competition at the Olympics? It just seems to defy the faster, stronger, higher sort of credo...why have the backstroke, for example? Would anybody run backwards when it's clear that forward is faster? You have the freestyle, which I totally understand but the others and so many of them and the medleys and the relays and I think it's worth a look at cutting some of them.

I think it kind of cheapens the sport to be honest...

Old 08-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #272
45:33

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Seems a pretty arbitrary comment. Why not get rid of the triple jump and the hurdles and everything else as well, just leave the 100m freestyle and 100m sprint.

However I would like to see to the breaststroke, which is ugly as fuck to watch, replaced with the doggy paddle.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #273
Vocal parasite

Surely butterfly is the most ridiculous stroke.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #274
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:10 AM
In track news, today has certainly been exciting. You have the US Women's 4x100 relay team dropping a baton, but getting to re-run the race because Brazil encroached. Then they run by themselves and end up with the fastest time. That's not going to make a lot of people happy.

Ashton Eaton wins his 2nd Olympic decathlon.
And it was a great day for athletes from my Alma mater, Dalilah Muhammad dominates the 400 Hurdles and Andre DeGrasse wins a silver behind the greatest sprinter in history, Usain Bolt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 08-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Rio 2016 Olympics

I see no reason why male beach volleyball players can't play shirtless.

Everyone likes Top Gun.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Seems a pretty arbitrary comment. Why not get rid of the triple jump and the hurdles and everything else as well, just leave the 100m freestyle and 100m sprint.

However I would like to see to the breaststroke, which is ugly as fuck to watch, replaced with the doggy paddle.
No offense but that's ridiculous. Triple jump isn't a track event even.

I would get rid of the steeple chase for sure, that's an example in track that I think is unnecessary. You want to run over hills and water, have a cross country race.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I really don't get it. It's about being faster within a common set of rules. Which the different styles provide. This would be like only having one sailing competition with the faster boats, removing the Laser and other slower classes. The athletic march is another example.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #278
Vocal parasite

I can't help but note the disproportionate amount of medals open to an individual swimmer though. If you compete in any other sport you have no chance of ever being able to win that many.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I can't help but note the disproportionate amount of medals open to an individual swimmer though. If you compete in any other sport you have no chance of ever being able to win that many.

Dunno about that. Aside from Phelps, the all-time top medal winners are gymnasts.

Speaking of which, do we really need all those different events? An all-around *and* a team competition.

Just have a floor routine and move on. No one uses the uneven bars in real life. Completely ridiculous.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

I guess for me the Olympics have kind of become so unmanageable in terms of sports, especially in the summer. I think we can cull some events down in swimming and in track (I don't think we need the 400 hurdles either).

And gymnastic multi-medal winners are a bit deceiving as many of those won back in the day when women competed into their 20s and 30s. No way are you doing 3 Olympics these days like Phelps AND being that competitive. Swimming is the only sport where this is remotely doable.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #281
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I don't have a problem with the amount of events. It's the way the medal table is constructed that I find somewhat problematic. Not sure how to fix it, but it certainly undervalues collective sports, where you usually have to play so many games through the entire two weeks.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

watching the finish line of the 50km race walk is amazing. it's like there's a force field that makes everyone turn into a drunken irishman trying to cross a frozen lake as soon as they cross the line.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

That French guy who led the 50km for a while was described and having experienced "intestinal problems" during the race. That can't be good.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
watching the finish line of the 50km race walk is amazing. it's like there's a force field that makes everyone turn into a drunken irishman trying to cross a frozen lake as soon as they cross the line.
They always look to me like they are trying to hold in a bowel movement until they can speed walk to the toilet.

Interesting take on the ridiculous Gabby Douglas "controversy" in comparison to Lochte and the swimmers.

White Male Privilege Is Why We Laugh At Lochte And Vilify Douglas
Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:10 AM
I for one love the different events. I LOVE watching hurdles. It's mind boggling to me as I can barely run a straight line without falling. And the relays are my favorite. I think the Olympics is great in spotlighting lesser known sports. This morning, I watched badminton, race walking and show jumping.

As for competing in multiple olympics, it depends on the sport. Equestrian riders can complete in many Olympics as can sailors. There was a wrestler that was going for her 3rd straight Gold. The Williams sisters have competed in 4 games. These days, with the advances in training and medical care, it does seem that competitors can compete longer even in the more physically demanding sports. Gymnastics may actually be an outlier here because of how hard it is on the body.

I strongly encourage you all to watch the Women's Water Polo final. The US team is great, and it's a brutal sport. The US Goalkeeper is ridiculous. I loved playing when I was in high school, swimming was boring.