Rio 2016 Olympics - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure

Old 08-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #211
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Exactly. It's their national sport. If Bolt were born in the US he may not be a sprinter. With his body type he'd have likely played football.

To me that's the most amazing thing about him is how tall he is and is still so dominant at the sprints.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

Old 08-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Exactly. It's their national sport. If Bolt were born in the US he may not be a sprinter. With his body type he'd have likely played football.

To me that's the most amazing thing about him is how tall he is and is still so dominant at the sprints.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

It is astonishing watching him unfold his height and then just pass everyone.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #213
Blue Crack Addict

In Jamaica, you either run track or you bobsled, those are the country's sports passions.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #214
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Roger Cohen with some truths today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/op...-olympics.html

Quote:
There is something in the developed world that does not like a developing country that organizes a major sporting event. I heard the same jeremiads in South Africa at the time of the World Cup in 2010: the crime that would ruin things, the poverty that was shameful, and the inefficiency that would plague visitors. The tournament was a triumph. I don’t recall reporters combing the poorest, most crime-ridden parts of Britain in 2012 to find people ready to grumble about the London Olympics.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

i recall reading a lot of complaining from britons about the london olympics before they happened. i think it's just the nature of the olympics now that everyone can tweet or blog about every little inevitable issue that comes up when an event of this magnitude is organized.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i recall reading a lot of complaining from britons about the london olympics before they happened. i think it's just the nature of the olympics now that everyone can tweet or blog about every little inevitable issue that comes up when an event of this magnitude is organized.
There was, because the UK government was cutting a significant amount of social funds from neighborhoods in need while pouring absurd amounts of money into the Olympic Village. IIRC there were also efforts to move various "undesirables" out of Tottenham and other areas close to the Olympic facilities.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Here's another NBC gem: beach volley semifinal starting at midnight local time so it can be broadcast live at prime time in the West Coast.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
There have been many good crossover athletes, and playing multiple sports is common in high school. He may have played football in the fall and ran track in the spring for example.
Devon Allen of the Oregon Ducks is running the 110 hurdles in Rio.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #219
45:33

Local Time: 01:22 PM
I think you've both missed the point? In the leadup to London there wasn't a story every second day about how it would be disaster, because it's a Western, English-speaking, first-world" country. It happened with Beijing, too. Endless stories about pollution that ended up being a load of crap, just like all the scare stories about Rio in the leadup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Roger Cohen with some truths today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/op...-olympics.html

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Old 08-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #220
The Fly

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Here's another NBC gem: beach volley semifinal starting at midnight local time so it can be broadcast live at prime time in the West Coast.
(I'm here on the West Coast) The whole NBC coverage generally SUCKS. I've watched more volleyball than I care to, and missed some of the smaller but just as interesting sports. Next time, I'll buy on demand....
Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Holy shit, our guy just beat the super-favorite Lavillenie in the pole vault with an Olympic record. Automatically one of my favorite Olympic moments ever. Damn.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #222
Vocal parasite

Wow, what a day. The men's 800m was great, with David Rudisha becoming the first man since Peter Snell in 1964 to defend his title. Then holy fucking shit the end to the women's 400m, it's going to be talked about for ages. And finally that fight for gold in the pole vault.

A bunch of my colleagues and I were clustered around a computer for the 400m and we exclaimed so loudly at the end that suddenly the rest of our floor came rushing in to find out what had happened.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 PM   #223
45:33

Grr, wish I'd seen the 400m and pole vault live. So annoyed with myself. The pole vault is nuts. You could easily die doing it.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:41 PM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I know athletes say stupid things right after they lose, but Lavillenie just compared himself to Jesse Owens in 1936 to complain that the crowd was against him. The money quote:

Quote:
Renaud LAVILLENIE (FRA): "In 1936 the crowd was against Jesse Owens. We've not seen this since. We have to deal with it."
Old 08-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #225
Vocal parasite

Haha what. The hostility from the crowd was a bit extreme - I especially feel for that poor gymnast who got cheered for every misstep - but it's also the sort of parochialism you expect and should know how to cope with as an athlete.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote