Pro Wrestling Thread- Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm young for this board.

C'mon, U2 loves your demographic. :wink:

Remember how I said your friend, Tom Phillips, was the lead announcer on Smackdown. Well, WWE removed him from the Smackdown announce team and switched him to some other shows. All of which are only available to watch on the WWE Network. Dang it. I liked him too. They replaced him with Byron Saxton, who isn't as good as Tom, but we'll see.

peef, I think you jinxed your buddy...

I think WWE made this move before he mentioned Phillips was a WWE commentator. I watch Raw more closely than Smackdown. I think the switch was made a couple of weeks ago. Last night on SD, Daniel Bryan faced Kane in a No-DQ match. Kane was the one who "injured" DB last year and put him out of action for several months. DB won the match and was able to exact some revenge on Kane. If DB lost, he would have to forfeit his spot in the Royal Rumble. Thankfully, that didn't happen and DB will be in the Rumble this Sunday.

I watched Smackdown last week, actually, so I was kinda curious how that scenario would play out (though to fit the story line, I didn't really see any way DB wasn't going to win.)

Yes. Unfortunately, WWE has a rather frustrating habit of not tying up loose storylines. At least here, DB was able to give Kane a series of nasty shots with a Kendo stick to make up for being Tombstoned on an announcing table last year. I'll be rooting for DB to win the RR this weekend. A lot of people are predicting Roman Reigns will win. Hopefully, its a good show.

In all of the time I have watched wrestling, I've only ever seen one PPV event. It was this HUGE deal that I got to do it, too. I wonder if there's a bar or something where I could go watch :hmm:.

I'm old enough to remember Saturday Night's Main Event, which was sort of in between a pay-per-view and a RAW-type show. It wasn't on every week, but when it was my dad would wake me up at midnight so I could watch it.

I'll never forget the one with The Ultimate Warrior vs Earthquake leading up to his match with Hogan. Those events seemed so electric back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm old enough to remember Saturday Night's Main Event, which was sort of in between a pay-per-view and a RAW-type show. It wasn't on every week, but when it was my dad would wake me up at midnight so I could watch it.

Yes! NBC used to run it in SNL's time slot and it always got better ratings.

In all of the time I have watched wrestling, I've only ever seen one PPV event. It was this HUGE deal that I got to do it, too. I wonder if there's a bar or something where I could go watch :hmm:.

There's gotta be a sports bar somewhere showing RR. The only PPV I watch is WrestleMania.

That triple threat championship match has to be one of the best I've ever seen. Amazing stuff.

Too bad it was followed by probably the worst royal rumble match ever. Can't believe they were thick enough to actually book a Roman Reigns win. FUCK YOU VINCE!

So I don't even know who Roman Reigns is, but do people hate him because he actually sucks or is he a really good heel like Triple H was back in the day?

So I don't even know who Roman Reigns is, but do people hate him because he actually sucks or is he a really good heel like Triple H was back in the day?

He's a below average wrestler who is shockingly bad on the mic. But since he's got the 'look' (and maybe also because he's The Rock's cousin), they've decided to force him down the fans' throats as the future face of the company - essentially Cena 2.0.

Ooh. That's bad. Cena is the reason I stopped watching about 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Cena was the reason I didn't get into WWE after the merger. I couldn't stand hearing about how "Dreamy" he was. I was like, Um...wrestling? Anyone?

Cena was the reason I didn't get into WWE after the merger. I couldn't stand hearing about how "Dreamy" he was. I was like, Um...wrestling? Anyone?

Yeah. I just wasn't into the whole "oh now he's a rapper" gimmick. I'm not a fan of rap so that didn't help either. A couple years later when I heard that he was selling as much merchandise as The Rock, DX, and Stone Cold once did, I couldn't believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Attitude Era WWE was the best WWE. Haven't cared about the current incarnation at all. It's no coincidence, either, that the Attitude Era was essentially a response to pretty strong competition from WCW, and the current situation stems from the demise of that company. Competition makes everyone step up their game, which the WWE has sorely lacked of late.

People hate Reigns not because he's a heel (which he no longer is), but because McMahon isn't listening to the fans and pushing him over fan favorites/good workers like Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler.

Reigns is actually pretty talented, but McMahon has decided to strap a rocket to him regardless of whether he has earned his stripes with the fans.

Uh, when exactly did this "merger" take place?

Cena got big around the time I was in high school, which I realize was a few years after the two became one entity, but it was always that final nail where I would say to myself, 'looks like I'm not missing anything.'

Cena got big around the time I was in high school, which I realize was a few years after the two became one entity, but it was always that final nail where I would say to myself, 'looks like I'm not missing anything.'

Actually a merger never took place. WCW was purchased by McMahon and eventually destroyed for good in 2001. In 2002, the WWF split the company into two different brands (AKA- The Brand Extension), Raw and Smackdown. Shortly after that, the WWF (World Wrestling Federation) changed the name of the company to WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment). A few months later, John Cena made his WWE debut. Fast forward 3 years later. Cena faces JBL for the WWE title at WrestleMania 21 and defeats him to win the WWE title for the first time. Since then, Cena has been the top guy in WWE.

Back
Top Bottom