Pro Players You Saw In Person During Their College Years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
What professional athletes and players have you seen in person while they were in college and high school?

I thought this would be an interesting question.

Personally I've seen these players:

Basketball:
Anthony Tolliver (at Creighton) PF-San Antonio

Baseball:
Ryan Braun (at Miami) LF-Milwaukee
Carlos Quentin (at Stanford) LF-Chicago White Sox
Ryan Garko (at Stanford) 1B-Cleveland
Kurt Suzuki (at Cal St. Fullerton) C-Oakland
Shaun Marcum (Missouri St.) SP-Toronto

VY, KD, and any other Horn who went pro in the last three years.

Also LT in his TCU days.

Apparently when I was 1 and on a plane with my mother from New York to Boston, I sat next to Jim Plunkett. This was after he was drafted by the Patriots, I guess, so it might not count.

I'm good friends with the guy that sold weed to Deron Williams, Luther Head, and Dee Brown in college. And I saw those guys play, of course, and saw 'em out at the bars all the time.

Matt Schaub from West Chester East. He was damn good. I saw him play in high school. I've met him before since then. Good times.

And if future pros count, Ellington and Henderson from Episcopal, the two guys who went to UNC and Duke.

I was at the TCU/NIU game when we kicked Garrett Wolfe's ass and held him to negative rushing yards. He plays for the Bears now. Does that count?

Jameer Nelson and Delonte West at St. Joe's.

And Randy Foye and Allan Ray at 'Nova.

And Pepe Sanchez at Temple.

And a bunch of Penn State players.

Larry Fitzgerald Jr. went the H.S. I worked and coached at. He would come over, pick up a lacrosse stick and ask me if he could play on my team. I told him I didn't want to see him get hurt by the hacks that we played against.

Now the poor guy has a QB that throws up passes that get you knocked out (poor Antwan).

I saw the three guys GAF mentioned...one of the UI coaches held tickets for me at Penn State. Sat right behind the IU bench.

Also seen a lot of NHL'ers as high schoolers and NCAA'ers when I lived in Minnesota and wrote for a few newspapers.

I also get to see a crapload of the college players come in to town for the NFL Combine.

Kerry Collins is from my hometown, and I saw him play while he was at Penn State. He's sort of a dick, so that's not really much to brag about. I also saw a few of the great defensive players to recently come out of Penn State a few years ago.

I went to Florida State for two years and never went to a game. I used to stay home and watch Penn State :happy:

I used to hang out with Kyle Korver - one time we ran "the perfect fast break" together as said by the coach of Kyle's basketball team.

I played baseball against Joel Hanrahan in high school - MLB pitcher for the Nationals

I watched Kirk Heinrich play in a team summer camp.

I played in a state championship game with Nick Collison - we lost by a lot

I beat Ussein Bolt in a race - not true

I did however get Sammy Sosa to turn around and laugh at me at a game when I asked him to pitch. The pitcher, Ruben Quevedo, had walked the bases loaded. So I yelled "Hey Sammy, can you pitch?" He gave me his usual chest bump and turned and smiled right at me. :)

edit: this is all high school

i have 2 michael vick stories:

the first encounter was at the university bookstore. i was in line for nearly 2 muthafuckin hours. then when i reached the front, he walked in, went up to cust. service, showed his ho pass and said "vick" and smiled at the cashier who then went to the back and brought back a stack. he signed a form, turned to me and said "that was easy!" and left. damn him. i still hadn't been rung out when he left.

once he came in when i was working at the mcdonald's near campus. he was in a suit and stuff. he was cordial. but that's because i wasn't a pit bull at the time.

i have 2 michael vick stories:

the first encounter was at the university bookstore. i was in line for nearly 2 muthafuckin hours. then when i reached the front, he walked in, went up to cust. service, showed his ho pass and said "vick" and smiled at the cashier who then went to the back and brought back a stack. he signed a form, turned to me and said "that was easy!" and left. damn him. i still hadn't been rung out when he left.

once he came in when i was working at the mcdonald's near campus. he was in a suit and stuff. he was cordial. but that's because i wasn't a pit bull at the time.

I did not know that you worked with Dalton.

I've seen a bunch of Big East players in person but the guys who stand out are Ray Allen and Allen Iverson. AI was pretty amazing at G'Town and I was pretty confident he'd be a good pro, and Ray at UConn could pretty much do it all. In the NBA he's more of a shooter; in college he could (and did) go to the rim a lot more.

I also saw Carl Pavano pitch from LL up through college. :wink:

and here i thought odom was a fan of the junior mint.

juniormintseinfeld.jpg

Back
Top Bottom