Pro Cycling 2015 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
I don't think Valverde is better than Quintana for a grand tour. There's a reason Quintana has actually won a grand tour (two even) and Valverde hasn't.
this is not true at all.

he won the vuelta in 2009, and has finished in the top 10 in the last nine consecutive grand tours he's started - nobody's done that since miguel indurain (not even lance when he was doped to the eyeballs). on top of that he's won classics and minor tours every single year, including 3 tours already this year in spain.

on second thought i might retract my statement that valverde is *better* (i definitely stick by my assertion that he is a more versatile and well-rounded rider though), but if him and quintana had both been on different teams and valverde was on a team where he was the undisputed #1 going into grand tours i think it's pretty easy to say that there is a good chance they could be at least on equal terms as far as major victories go. after all, quintana only has one more GT win (giro 2014) under his belt and far fewer "minor" and classics wins. valverde's career has definitely suffered having to play the domestique to quintana instead of being given free rein to race for himself.

DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:08 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Okay, I forgot about that Vuelta win. But even so, Quintana has been second multiple times in the Tour. Valverde is an awesome rider, better than Quintana overall, but his climbing capabilities are just a level below those of the best grand tour riders.

I'm not sure Quintana has been number one more often than Valverde has. He's been around for so much longer. Valverde's also the main man at Movistar and still Quintana was number one going into the Tour these last few years. There's a reason for that.

nielsgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:11 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
valverde's career has definitely suffered having to play the domestique to quintana instead of being given free rein to race for himself.
He wasn't the best domestique though. There were times where he should have gone to the front earlier in climbs to weaken the Sky train but he just stayed in the wheels to make sure he could get a podium place himself.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

you're right, he wasn't a great domestique. would have been very interesting to see how their careers went if they were the consistent #1 on separate teams.

in any case, i think we can both agree he's usually an exciting rider to watch whatever the team's strategy and it's a shame we don't get to watch him and nairo in the mountains.

tomorrow's stage

Old 07-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yes and I'll be able to watch pretty much the whole thing!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

what a hell of a stage. hope porte is okay, that was a nauseating crash. even the commentators were begging whoever controls the video feed to stop showing the replay again and again. amazing that dan martin was able to get back on and keep up as well as he did.

on reddit fabio aru seems to have gone from fan favourite to scumbag villain instantly. now everybody loves uran for finishing on a two-speed.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Feel bad for Porte.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #68
Refugee

Local Time: 01:03 PM
how is porte not dead! how did martin not die too! how did uran win! how does contador carry on!

with sagan being gone and the gc crowd being thinned to nothing the rest of the tour will be kind of boring. we'll just be waiting to see how much froome wins by. there will still be some excellent, exciting riding but I think the majority of the tension (for me) will come from watching how much Quintana and Contador lose by. I wouldn't be surprised if Contador finishes 10 minutes down. He really should have retired at the end of last season.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #69
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
with sagan being gone and the gc crowd being thinned to nothing the rest of the tour will be kind of boring. we'll just be waiting to see how much froome wins by.
The green jersey contest over the remaining two weeks should be good. But yeah the yellow is done.
AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
gotta wonder how this would have gone if it was, say bouhanni and démare who were involved rather than sagan and cavendish. i imagine it would have been rather different.
got an answer on that today

the "undisclosed amount" is 200 swiss francs paid by the team.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

now we've got a tour what a finish today. people are losing their shit over nieve riding away from froome but it was a 17% gradient at that point, there was nothing nieve could do to pull froome up on that slope. he did the smart thing in trying to take away the bonus seconds from froome's rivals.

i have a feeling bardet is going to take it in paris. he's clearly the rider with the best legs right now. froome is obviously vulnerable, i expect he'll be attacked a lot more often from here on out. the fitness of the sky domestiques might be the determining factor in this tour.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
It was Landa who rode away from Froome.

I still think Froome is the favourite to take yellow. Don't forget there is another ITT to come. If he can limit any further losses then I'd tip him to win back yellow on that ITT.
AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Both Aru and Bardet need a minute and a half at least before the time trial indeed. Hope one of them can take it.

Too bad Uran got a time penalty as he was really close as well.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:32 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Woops, Uran doesn't receive a time penalty after all. They probably noticed they'd need to give Bardet one as well as he took a bottle too during the final 10k. The jury is really making a mess of it this year. Imagine if Uran wins the Tour with less than 20 seconds advantage. I won't care if it's ahead of Froome though.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
It was Landa who rode away from Froome.

I still think Froome is the favourite to take yellow. Don't forget there is another ITT to come. If he can limit any further losses then I'd tip him to win back yellow on that ITT.
oh right. yesterday evening was the start of my vacation, i was half in the bag and got my mikels confused.