Penn State Child Molestation Scandal...continuing discussion - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 PM
The NCAA is gonna wait till all the info comes out before taking action, but the death penalty is a possibility considering how serious the offenses are and the fact that its becoming more and more evident that it was basically ignored to maintain the school/team's image.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #452
Blue Crack Distributor

Penn State's football program should be shut down for at least as long as SMU's was back in the 80's, and probably longer. The NCAA will only further prove themselves to be a complete farce if any other decision is made. This is far and away more horrific than point shaving, selling jerseys for tattoos, or whatever other stupid thing that the NCAA has actively dropped a hammer down on teams.

Joe Paterno's legacy is now and forever, and deservedly so, that of an enabler of child rape. Not of the winningest football coach ever... not as some alleged builder of men... not as a man of high character and integrity... rather as a person who, when faced with the biggest, and easiest, decision of his life, failed at an unbelievably epic level... and actively hid and concealed absolutely horrific crimes; the repeated, unending sexual rape and abuse of (at least) dozens of innocent young boys.

Shut them down.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #453
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:48 PM
I don't see how shutting down the program helps anything. Taking away such a massive revenue stream will ultimately hurt the students, the ones who had nothing to do with all this, in the long run. The conspirators or whatever you want to call them should be purged and prosecuted, and then the program allowed to start fresh again. Perhaps a one-year hiatus would be wise for regrouping, but people rather than institutions need to be held responsible.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #454
The Male

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Agreed with iYup. Life is bigger than football, but that's one reason to leave the program open. I'm not certain how the rest of the university is meant to go on without it. Those kids don't deserve to be shat on for the failings of the faculty.

There's a great deal of renewed furor over something we learned about 8 months ago. Yeah, they covered up. Yeah, they've been purged. Penn State's reputation has received all the kicking it needs. They're the Rape School. We get it. But who caused it? Are they still in a position of authority? Can their replacements be trusted to carry on? If not, what more can be done? Any blanket punishment made for the sake of precedent is "justice" in name only.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #455
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I don't see how shutting down the program helps anything. Taking away such a massive revenue stream will ultimately hurt the students, the ones who had nothing to do with all this, in the long run. The conspirators or whatever you want to call them should be purged and prosecuted, and then the program allowed to start fresh again. Perhaps a one-year hiatus would be wise for regrouping, but people rather than institutions need to be held responsible.
i could not disagree more.

by that theory, no athletic program anywhere can ever be shut down for violations... and if that's the case, why even have oversight? teams will do whatever they want because they know they'll never get shut down because "it'll hurt the students."

frankly i think the entire campus should be shut down for a few years, but i know that's not realistic.

i'm sorry for those who had nothing to do with this... students and athletes alike. but there is NCAA oversight for a reason... and if this doesn't meet the reasons for the death penalty, then the NCAA only further shows how much of a joke of an organization they really are... and that the almighty dollar rules all.

let's remember... it's the protection of the reputation of the football program that led to the cover-up to begin with. the reputation of the football program = money.

i'm not saying a permanent shut down. i'm talking shutting down the program for a couple of years. it's been done before, and to huge programs. Kentucky basketball was shut down for two years. SMU football was shut down for two years at a time when they were the best team in the land.

i'll also add that i don't think the NCAA will do anything... and it will be because of money. The same reason why the school did nothing.

This isn't about just Joe Paterno, or Spanier or Curley or whoever. This is a culture that exists in that school, and in that town. That culture needs to be expunged. I know it will hurt some students who have nothing to do with this, and who were equally outraged by the idiots who protested JoePa's firing in the first place. The school should help them transfer, or move to another school if that's what they feel they need to do. But a real penalty should be brought down on the culture that allowed this to take place.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #456
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:48 PM
I agree with Headache. You give them the death penalty. This is much worse than what SMU did years ago. You had a group of individuals (especially ONE) who were the face of this school, and they enabled little children to be hurt for years!!

While it sucks for those that had no involvement, former players, former coaches, former students, an example needs to be set. This would be doing the right thing. Life isn't fair, which I'm sure all of Sandusky's victims understand all too well.

I'm also for kicking PSU out of the big10, even though I love the what they have brought athletic wise to the conference. Till now of course.

And if this were to have happened at Iowa, I would be saying the same thing. In fact, I wouldn't even bother rooting for that school anymore. To allow such a horrible crime, possibly the worst kind imaginable, and then continue on with the way PSU and JoePa has, it just doesn't make any sense.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #457
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
This isn't about just Joe Paterno, or Spanier or Curley or whoever. This is a culture that exists in that school, and in that town. That culture needs to be expunged. I know it will hurt some students who have nothing to do with this, and who were equally outraged by the idiots who protested JoePa's firing in the first place. The school should help them transfer, or move to another school if that's what they feel they need to do. But a real penalty should be brought down on the culture that allowed this to take place.
I don't follow this logic at all. "Culture," which in any case is impossible to define, is predominantly set by those in power. All of those in power at Penn State are dead or removed. Not only is the figurehead, Paterno, gone, but his legacy is sullied to the point that no one will ever want to associate with him again. You seem to be implying that some new child abuse ring is going to arise at Penn State in the near future when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that.

And we're not talking about "some" students here. We're talking about many thousands who will suffer on account of the transgressions of a few individuals. There is no justice in that.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #458
Blue Crack Addict

If you give Penn State the death penalty, it would have a massive negative impact on my chances of getting a job after college.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #459
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I hate the NCAA as much if not more than most. However, in this case, the institution put their beloved Football program ahead of the welfare of innocent children. Because Joe Paterno feared the bad publicity he let children be raped for 14 more years. This is disgusting. And because of the lack of institutional control, I believe the NCAA has no choice but issue a death penalty. Honestly, I believe Penn State should voluntarily shut their program down for a few years.

I get that it will punish students and players who had nothing to do with this, but because the Penn State administration thought Football was so important, children were raped. It's reprehensible.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #460
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
If you give Penn State the death penalty, it would have a massive negative impact on my chances of getting a job after college.
I do have sympathy, I serve on a board that just awarded a high school senior a scholarship last night.
When I asked the young woman, with her mother standing beside her, where she was going to school she said Penn State.
Then they both paused and waited for our reactions.

As sad as this is, you and she are also victims of Joe Pa's terrible transgressions.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #461
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Anyone who would deny you a opportunity of employment because you went to Penn State is an idiot. While it's embarrassing for you (and your resume) to have listed a school that is tarnished, I'm not sure how you didn't still receive a great education and should be judged on your skills/merits and personality.

The only victims in this case are the kids that were abused. Be thankful the worst thing you may have experienced by attending Penn St is a little shame and embarrassment. I'm sure any of Sandusky's victims would gladly trade those feelings for the ones current/past students feel now.

At least the victims have gotten some justice. And in the end I think the students will be able to move on too.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #462
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Are you on campus, Peef? Just wondering what students feelings are about Paterno now that the report has come out.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #463
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Anyone who would deny you a opportunity of employment because you went to Penn State is an idiot. While it's embarrassing for you (and your resume) to have listed a school that is tarnished, I'm not sure how you didn't still receive a great education and should be judged on your skills/merits and personality.

The only victims in this case are the kids that were abused. Be thankful the worst thing you may have experienced by attending Penn St is a little shame and embarrassment. I'm sure any of Sandusky's victims would gladly trade those feelings for the ones current/past students feel now.

At least the victims have gotten some justice. And in the end I think the students will be able to move on too.
If they kill football, I will be unable to replicate the opportunities I would have gotten there anywhere else. Football is the only sport where we are afforded the ability to travel to cover games. It has by far the most networking opportunities, and it's not even close. Being able to broadcast and write about football games is one of the key parts of building a portfolio for future employers.

I am not talking about the embarrassment. I have not embarrassed myself, as I have consistently criticized Paterno. I never stood near his house or his statue crying, holding hands, wondering why the Big Bad Media killed him. I sat in my apartment, writing about how crazy those people were.

No, I am talking about losing big opportunities, opportunities that cannot be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Are you on campus, Peef? Just wondering what students feelings are about Paterno now that the report has come out.
I will be returning to State College tonight for the first time in two months. I will post if there is anything notable going on. Lots of students and alumni will be in town this weekend.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #464
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i could not disagree more.

by that theory, no athletic program anywhere can ever be shut down for violations... and if that's the case, why even have oversight? teams will do whatever they want because they know they'll never get shut down because "it'll hurt the students."

frankly i think the entire campus should be shut down for a few years, but i know that's not realistic.

i'm sorry for those who had nothing to do with this... students and athletes alike. but there is NCAA oversight for a reason... and if this doesn't meet the reasons for the death penalty, then the NCAA only further shows how much of a joke of an organization they really are... and that the almighty dollar rules all.

let's remember... it's the protection of the reputation of the football program that led to the cover-up to begin with. the reputation of the football program = money.

i'm not saying a permanent shut down. i'm talking shutting down the program for a couple of years. it's been done before, and to huge programs. Kentucky basketball was shut down for two years. SMU football was shut down for two years at a time when they were the best team in the land.

i'll also add that i don't think the NCAA will do anything... and it will be because of money. The same reason why the school did nothing.

Do the people who committed these crimes and created that culture get punished if you perform the death penalty here?

Please don't cop out and accuse me and my classmates of being part of the problem.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #465
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Any blanket punishment made for the sake of precedent is "justice" in name only.
Bingo. Prosecute the shit out of Spanier, Curley and Schultz. Hell, investigate Jay Paterno and see if he knew anything. But trying to take out Penn State now? It would be pointless.

Do you think a year off of football that kills it for three decades will teach a greater lesson than the shit that we've been through the last eight months? I haven't bitched about this impacting me for one second until the death penalty got brought up. For the last eight months, this was about the victims. But now people are trying to make ME pay for the crimes of others. I feel for those victims. I feel guilt, even when I shouldn't. But trying to punish everyone for the crimes of a few accomplishes nothing.

Give it a little time, and the last few Paterno defenders will melt into the background. This report was much more damning than I thought it would be. I'm happy for the fact that there is some level of closure on the issue of Paterno's role, though I'm certainly greatly saddened by everything that happened.

People are already doing about-faces. They're stunned. The reaction I saw today from people was unbelievable. People are finally learning the lesson here, and that's the most important thing.

The death penalty piles on and distracts. People will turn on the NCAA and go back to the "media pressuring everyone to destroy Penn State" narrative. And I will have a hard time disagreeing with that point, because the idea of this being a death penalty case is just absurd.

The death penalty is a fundamentally flawed concept. It's the same concept that allows a rat bastard like John Calipari to wander around blowing up program after program without any repurcussions. It's time we started looking at the actual people instead of the institutions that they commandeered for their crimes.

Penn State has paid and will most certainly continue to pay. Don't overdo it to make yourself feel better, because you'll just be punishing the bystanders even further.