Penn State Child Molestation Scandal...continuing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Alma Mater.

The school Alma Mater has this ironic lyric.

May no act of ours bring shame
To one heart that loves thy name,
May our lives but swell thy fame,
Dear old State, dear old State.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

:|

Just when I thought maybe I could start to let this shit go and enjoy CFB with them in it again...

Ok, let's face it. Not only did Jerry Sandusky molest children, he molested Penn State and the Penn State athletic program. And Joe Pa didn't do jack shit about it. This shit will take decades to heal.

That the school actually wants to honor Paterno is just further proof that they just don't get it, and why they should have gone further with their penalties and shut the program down for a few years.

It's gross negligence on their part, and it only seems to get worse as time goes on and more info about who knew what when comes out

So fucked up. Was he adopted by Jerry?

I used to be a student security guard at Penn State 2001-2002. Twisted to think I was there during that time frame and had shifts near the football buildings in the Summer prior.

He got the sentence he deserved, and he'll never see the outside again. I also had no issue with that Judge Aquilina allowing all the Nassar's victims to speak, and their families. It's an unusual move, most judges would limit that kind of thing, but in this case I think it was justified.

That said, I can't say I'm a big fan of this style of judge...I've practiced in front of people like this before. Most lawyers, on both sides, who work in courtrooms don't like judges like this because they're unpredictable. And her comments in sentencing were a little self-aggrandising in my opinion. She referred to herself a little too much, then started praising the media, then started talking about what interviews she'd accept, how disgusting the defendant was, how she wouldn't trust him with her dog, etc...all from the bench. That just makes is seem like she's letting her personal feelings influence her sentencing (even if that's not the case). Now she's a social media sensation (surprise) and everyone is talking about what a great "advocate" she is. That's what we call show horse judge. And the irony is she repeatedly said "It's not about me" while talking about herself.

I know most people watching on TV love to see this kind of crusader/victims advocate in judges, and think it's great, but that's really not why they're there. Most judges would just deliver the sentence, maybe a few comments on the heinousness of the crime, and that's it. Go much beyond that and you start to lose your appearance of impartiality. Not saying she's a bad judge, and that she doesn't follow the law, and she's obviously a good person. But I don't think this kind of "advocate" judge is really what the judiciary is supposed to be about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom