Penn State Child Molestation Scandal...continuing discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I meant in that hastily typed post on my phone: I think he was taking advantage of the phrasing to make it seem like he did something when he actually didn't do anything.

Here's what happened, from what's been said and from my understanding of it all: McQueary walks into the locker room and hears people in the shower. He hears that now infamous slapping sound and infers that people are having sex in the shower. He goes to try and see who it is and realizes it's Sandusky and this kid. He slams the locker door to get their attention, sees them both stop and look at him, and then leaves. In a panic, he calls his father and goes to his house. He talks with him and decides to go to Paterno the next day. He tells Paterno what happened without getting into specifics because he's terrified of making things uncomfortable with Paterno.

o/t, but not entirely o/t: conlin

what's in the water over there?

I am amazed by the reaction of former Penn State players and boosters when the school hired Bill O'Brien. In the wake of everything that was made public a couple of months ago it seemed like a no-brainer that the university had to hire someone from outside the school with no former ties to Paterno or Sandusky. But when the announcement was made the reaction was anger that interim coach Tom Bradley didn't get the job. I can see them criticizing O'Brien's qualifications to be head coach, but the anger was more that he was an 'outsider'. Bradley is a guy who had been there for over thirty years. He played for Sandusky's defense, and had been Sandusky's assistant coach and had replaced him as defensive coordinator. He most likely had heard the whispers about Sandusky for a long time and later he most certainly knew about the allegations and internal investigations and cover-ups. But he stayed in line and kept it quiet. The fact that anyone actually thought that Bradley was going to be named head coach just goes to show how ingrained the 'Penn State Way' 'Team First' mentality was there.

i mean, it is not like penn state is the only school where people have lost perspective. but yeah, the idea of keeping bradley around was insane.

All charitable efforts since the scandal have been for RAINN and THON. RAINN is for child abuse awareness, THON is for childhood cancer.

There's plenty to criticize here without going after the sale of a DVD for charity, is my point.

You're saying his family (not the university) should not put out a DVD to raise money for charities that help raise money and awareness for good causes?

They need to cut out Phil Knight's grandstanding speech. Knight basically put Paterno back up on the highest pedestal and tried to erase any hint of responsibility from him for Sandusky being allowed to remain affiliated with Penn State for years even while the grand jury investigation was going on. And make no mistake - it was Paterno who allowed that. He didn't answer to anyone at Penn State. I found Knight's speech very inappropriate especially since Paterno himself said he realized he had been wrong.

the trial has already become a farce...

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- A jury was selected Wednesday in the child molestation scandal that brought down Joe Paterno, and the makeup of the panel left no doubt this is Penn State country.

The seven women and five men who will hear opening statements on Monday in the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky include an engineering administrative assistant at Penn State, a dance teacher in the school's continuing education program and a professor who has been on the faculty for 24 years.

They also include a Penn State senior, a retired soil sciences professor with 37 years at the university, a man with bachelor's and master's degrees from the school and a woman who's been a football season ticket holder since the 1970s.

One of four alternate jurors was selected Wednesday, a woman in her 30s who graduated from Penn State in 2007 with a degree in human development. Three more alternates remain to be picked, and a prosecutor said he thought those selections could be finished Wednesday afternoon.

Full disclosure: while I am a 21-year-old Penn State senior who is a white male and has worked with the athletic department, I am not, in fact, juror number seven.

How did this trial not get moved to a town composed of less than 99% Penn State affiliates?

Hold on. I thought the idea was that it would not give Sandusky a fair trial. Do people actually think Penn State associated people would give him the benefit of the doubt? This jury makes it a virtual lock that he is guilty unless the prosecution royally fucks up. People at Penn State view Sandusky as the reason everything that was once good is now bad.

Mikal is rooting for the victims and Sandusky and the jurors and both lawyers and the judge and the court stenographer all to win.

Back
Top Bottom