Olympics 2016 - will it be Chicago, Madrid, Rio or Tokyo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
The big decision will be made this Friday in Copenhagen of all places.

The IOC applicant report chose the 4 candidate cities - despite Doha, Qatar actually scoring higher than Chicago and Rio across most of the categories. Nonetheless the Qataris got booted from the shortlist as they couldn't stage the Games in the July-August window the IOC demands the Summer Games to be staged within now.

The final evaluation report seemed to put Rio as the frontrunner however there were concerns about all of the cities.

Chicago - some questions about federal funding guarantees as well as transport infrastructure. They plan to have a temporary main stadium - not unlike what London has planned for 2012.

Madrid - even though Madrid was arguably the strongest technical bid for 2012 this time out if you believe the official line the Spaniards have f*cked up royally and have no idea. Most pundits believe it is the IOC's way of freeing up the Latin voting bloc for Rio and thus denying an upset Spanish win. Either way Madrid is out because London has 2012. There have been no back to back Euro Summer Games in over 50 years.

Rio - the sentimental favourite as South America have never had a Games. There is a reason for that though - the previous Brazilian and Argentinian bids have all been flawed when it comes to finances and security. If Buenos Aires won their 2004 bid for instance the Games would have been wrecked by the huge financial crisis Argentina suffered in the late 90's. This time around Rio has the benefit of a huge amount of new venues due to the 2007 Pan Ams. The IOC has questioned financing - since Brazil will go all out for the World Cup in 2014 there is a question of whether or not the Olympics will be treated as an afterthought. Furthermore Rio should really be spending the money helping the poor etc. However we all know that money wont get to those who need it either way.

Tokyo - the most solid plan. The IOC only had reservations about the Japanese plan to build a 100,000 seat main stadium and then completely dismantle it. They question the cities Olympic legacy - however Tokyo doesnt need another huge stadium with the Tokyo Dome and Yokohama Stadiums currently underused. Tokyo is doomed though since Beijing just had the Summer Games.

Factor in Korean, German and French Winter Olympic bids for 2018 it is pretty certain that Tokyo and Madrid can be discounted.

It looks like Obama is in Copenhagen to spruik for Chicago. That could swing it. I'm sure he will impress the IOC more than Lula will for Brazil. Oh and Oprah is speaking on behalf of Chicago too.

Which way will the IOC go? Will the huge revenues to be gained by staging the Games in the USA win out at the end of the day? Despite all the scandals and problems both Atlanta and Salt lake brought in huge TV rights payments and massive sponsorship profits. Will the IOC gamble on Rio? Can Brazil handle both of the biggest sporting events in the world within a 2 year window? Is it time to bring South America a Games or should the 'new fronteir Olympic Games' go to South Africa - since they are rumoured to be bidding again with Cape Town for 2020 and announced their intentions stragically this week - maybe a ploy to derail Rio? Which has the bigger pull - a South American or African Games since neither have hosted...? There is no way the IOC will have back to back Games in areas perceived as "risky"...

I personally hope for a Tokyo upset - but expect it will be Chi-town.

Yeah, hopefully Rio win it, I will be disappointed if it's the other three, particularly if it's Madrid or Chicago.

Few reasons, Brazil's love for sport is profound, the most successful nation at the most important and embraced sport in the world. Rio would host a truly great old-fashioned games, without all the techinical fancy "look at what gadgets we got" kinda thing Chicago and Tokyo would probably host.

Another US games is inevitable, but I'd much rather it be in Boston or NYC, and if Chicago host it, we probably won't (and shouldn't) see another Yank games until the 2040's at the earliest.

Madrid, :angry:effing hope not, Barca wasn't that memorable, can't imagine Madrid doing any better, always seemed like a comparatively unremarkable city compared with the other candidates, though I've never been there so I'm not really qualified to know.

Tokyo would be awesome for me in Melbs with the same timezone thing happening.

Please be Rio......

Yeah, I hope it's Rio too, even if it's a little less likely. For all the reasons Inte said, really. Back to the roots stuff. You obviously bring up a good point about the poor in Brazil, tnmp, but unfortunately you could argue that for just about anywhere in the world.

I don't even know if I'll be able to type this coherently, but here goes.

The Summer Olympics are one of my very favorite things in the world. I've loved watching them, and getting invested in them, and rooting intensely for the U.S. in them, since I could walk. They are a passion of mine, amongst many passions.

I live in Chicago.

If the 2016 Summer Olympics are to be held in Chicago, it will be the fucking greatest thing that's ever happened to me. I would attend every single event, with bells on, and it would be an all-time great, tell your Grandkids about it experience. I just...it would be amazing.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give the Olympics to Chicago.

Thanks.

we had the commonwealth games here in 2006 (i was 16) and i didn't fucking go to a single event :scream:

surely tokyo will get it? it'd be nice for rio however...

I'm really, really nervous about this right now.

Hang in there mate....:up: not long now.

It must feel pretty nerveracking, I was pretty young when we last bid for the 96 Olympics, but I can imagine everyone in Chicago is on the edge of their seats at the moment. Would be an amazing thing to host.

Would hurt to be in your shoes and to lose, might be waiting a long while for another opportunity, particularly if Rio wins 2016 and New York bid again for an Olympics, Boston are also looking to put in a big bid if you guys don't produce the goods in the next hour or so for 2016.....

All the best!

Chicago and Tokyo were both eliminated from consideration, according to ESPN.

Who's to blame?

dave_chappelle_voiceover_of_tom_cruise_jumping_on_oprah_s_couch_.jpg

Yep, Guardian also has it that Chicago were first elimnated and Tokyo are gone too.

Rio vs Madrid

It's gotta be Rio now, why the hell would you wanna host 2016 in Madrid?!

If only Oprah had given everyone on the committee a CCAAARRRRRRR!!!!

2s8s09f.jpg

I'm glad Chicago didn't win.

I know i'm going to sound hypocrictical...but I sort of agree with you.

Yea I'm a bit disappointed...but look at it this way. If Chicago got the bid there would have been political hair pulling (due to stress and money...among other things) and there would have been riots that would have led to violence either shortly before or during the games.

And what about afterwords? Are the the politicans going to keep their promises about converting their venues into places that the kids can use? I don't exactly trust them to keep their word half the time.

I know i'm going to sound hypocrictical...but I sort of agree with you.

Yea I'm a bit disappointed...but look at it this way. If Chicago got the bid there would have been political hair pulling (due to stress and money...among other things) and there would have been riots that would have led to violence either shortly before or during the games.

And what about afterwords? Are the the politicans going to keep their promises about converting their venues into places that the kids can use? I don't exactly trust them to keep their word half the time.

i...what?

Commiserations GAFfer, you must be hurting, but I'm satisfied.

Rio deserves it more than any city in the world. Their sporting culture is as rich as anybody's (even ours) and it seems way overdue as it is.

So who for 2020? I have a feeling it will go Asia's way, and most probably one of those annoying Arab cities who have a lot of money...and not much else...

Back
Top Bottom