Olympics 2016 - will it be Chicago, Madrid, Rio or Tokyo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's very cool. Rio would be a great one to go to.

I'm surprised Chicago didn't at least get out of the first round. Atlanta effect?

Congrats to Rio!

Although I would've picked Madrid, but Rio is just as good. There'll be some spectacle at the opening ceremony when 2016 comes around!

:up:

Bummer that Chicago didn't get it.

But if the USA gets a summer games any time soon, I'd love to see NYC get it. It's amazing that NYC has never gotten to host the olympics.

Isn't alcohol legal in the UAE?

I think Dubai would host a pretty sick Olympics, I mean they'd come up with some KRAZY stadiums.

Of course, once that novelty wears off, yeah, maybe it'd suck.

i can't quite recall, maybe they don't sell it or something...?

a quick wiki search tells me:

The laws of the UAE tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. However, public bars and nightclubs in the UAE operate mainly in hotels and clubs, much like in Qatar, although some do operate independently.

I need to get my ass to London in 3 years. Seriously. How the fuck am I going to accomplish this? Someone help me out.

parabens para rio! eu con muito alegria:applaud:
this is the best choice. its a shame evrytime they gave it to europe,north-america or asia. it was time for a change!
bring on the southern hemisphere.

you're goddam right we hosted it twice.

sad thing is i'm going to have to wait 50 years before we're a chance again :( and then what are the chances of it being held anyone but the sporting capital of the world, or sydney? :sad:

le sigh

good luck gaffe. save up some money, find a mrs. girls aloud fan and take her perhaps?

you're goddam right we hosted it twice.

sad thing is i'm going to have to wait 50 years before we're a chance again :( and then what are the chances of it being held anyone but the sporting capital of the world, or sydney? :sad:

Don't think we're that much of a long shot, but we'll probably have to wait until 2032 at the earliest for one in Australia.

Brisbane have shown interest in one, which would be a downright ordinary Games in my reckoning, cause the town is unremarkable and culturally derelict. Sydeny are just plain shite, so they shouldn't have another one.

Melbourne 2036, get on it!

I always swell with pride when people rave about how glorious Sydeny 2000 was. They often forget how it was Melbourne who hosted an Olympic Games a whopping 44 years before Shitney. Fuck, we are good. The first to be hosted in the Southern Hemisphere, and no one can take that away from us. Furthermore, we were close to hosting '96, a questionable bidding campaign where Atlanta's Coca-Cola money was apparently floating around. Imagine that, there would never have been a Sydney 2000, but 2 Melbourne Olympics.

I always swell with pride when people rave about how glorious Sydeny 2000 was. They often forget how it was Melbourne who hosted an Olympic Games a whopping 44 years before Shitney. Fuck, we are good. The first to be hosted in the Southern Hemisphere, and no one can take that away from us. Furthermore, we were close to hosting '96, a questionable bidding campaign where Atlanta's Coca-Cola money was apparently floating around. Imagine that, there would never have been a Sydney 2000, but 2 Melbourne Olympics.

idiotic revisionist history ftw :up:

Gotta love Melbourne bigheadedness.

Actually, in all fairness, and maybe it is my Melbourne "bigheadedness" speaking, but aside from maybe Paris, no city can boast the sporting culture or history that Melbourne can. It's hard to argue against Melbourne being the sporting captial of the world. Vast amounts of evidence.

Actually, in all fairness, and maybe it is my Melbourne "bigheadedness" speaking, but aside from maybe Paris, no city can boast the sporting culture or history that Melbourne can. It's hard to argue against Melbourne being the sporting captial of the world. Vast amounts of evidence.
i can think of two cities that deserve that title way above you guys. try london and new york.

but congratulations on always turning out for afl!

Australian Open - Grand Slam tennis tournament. Only in Paris, New York, London and Melbourne!

Melbourne Cup Carnival - a globally recognised and esteemed horse racing carnival.

An entire code of football is centered around this city, AFL. And not only that, the code's professional league has the 4th highest average regular season attendance of any sporting league in the world. Most matches are fixtured in Melbourne.

Olympic Games 1956

F1 - we have a race, only about 20 global cities can boast this,

Melbourne's sporting precinct (includes the MCG - few stadiums have as much history as this, only Berlin's Olympiastadion the Maracana, and probably a few more might contend with it), a precinct still growing.

We've very recently hosted a World Swimming Championships, a World Gymnastics Championships and next year host the Cycling World Championships.

We're probably gonna host the World Cup Final in 2022.

:D - dontcha just wish you were VIC like me!

Australian Open - Grand Slam tennis tournament. Only in Paris, New York, London and Melbourne!

Melbourne Cup Carnival - a globally recognised and esteemed horse racing carnival.

An entire code of football is centered around this city, AFL. And not only that, the code's professional league has the 4th highest average regular season attendance of any sporting league in the world. Most matches are fixtured in Melbourne.

Olympic Games 1956

F1 - we have a race, only about 20 global cities can boast this,

Melbourne's sporting precinct (includes the MCG - few stadiums have as much history as this, only Berlin's Olympiastadion the Maracana, and probably a few more might contend with it), a precinct still growing.

We've very recently hosted a World Swimming Championships, a World Gymnastics Championships and next year host the Cycling World Championships.

We're probably gonna host the World Cup Final in 2022.

Man, I'm sorry, and I know we're all biased here, but that really doesn't seem like that impressive a list of accomplishments/evidence for Melbourne being the sporting capital of the world. I have no doubt that it is a terrific sports city with a rich history, but I'm sure that a dozen other cities across the world could boast an equal or even better list than the one you posted above.

i could provide counter-arguement after counter-arguement, but i really don't fancy whacking my head against a brick wall.

This.

Oh, and this:

Man, I'm sorry, and I know we're all biased here, but that really doesn't seem like that impressive a list of accomplishments/evidence for Melbourne being the sporting capital of the world. I have no doubt that it is a terrific sports city with a rich history, but I'm sure that a dozen other cities across the world could boast an equal or even better list than the one you posted above.

Oh, yes, and :

:banghead::banghead:

Melbourne melbourne melbourne MELBOURNE melbourne Melbourne mELBOURNE Melbourne Melbin Mel Born MeLbOuRnE Melbourne M e l b o u r N E melbourne Melbourne MELbOURNE Shitney M a e l b a o r n e Perthetic Melbourne Melbourne Badelaide Melbouree Melbourne MELBOURNE melbourne Melbourne Brisvegas Melbourne MELBOURNE M E L B O U R N E hofart melbourne melbourne Melbourne MELBOURNE MELBOURNE

hmm very interesting

Back
Top Bottom