Official Cricket Thread Part 302

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Brendon we're going to miss you so much. What a knock, the fastest Test century EVER, just 54 balls.

Came in with the team at 4/30, caught off a no ball on 39, and then just blazed away, simply extraordinary. The shot that just got him out (to a great catch by Lyon) was actually one of his more conventional and less risky shots of the day! :lol:

The Corey Hotline seems to be ringing loud and clear today as well. Hope he can go on to a century - this is only his fourth fifty ever, and we really need him to get good scores more consistently in the post-BMac era.

Though of course Brendon's got one innings still to go. Triple century time I say!

What I'm baffled it is why KW hung around for 60-whatever balls to make 7 runs?

Took the shine off the ball at least?

But damnit now Corey's gone for 72. I'm a bit worried that despite the fireworks of this session we're not actually going to post that intimidating a total.

Yeah, could be, but even then he tries to keep it ticking over in any circumstance. Everything I've heard suggests the pitches are wild for half a day and then it all goes flat?

And if it goes flat we're fucked because Australia won't have any trouble coasting past 300 - which, now that Southee has yet again fallen miles short of his potential with the bat, is looking like the best we can hope for.

Wow, and we somehow made it to 370 in the end. Not too bad a total, but we're going to need some early wickets.

Fucking hell New Zealand cricket makes you feel every goddamn emotion. Yesterday was Baz at his Bazziest, now today it's the old "oh we've somehow blown it again" sensation. Now, OK, as a New Zealand cricket fan your default position is that we're somehow losing (even when we need two to win with ten wickets in hand and three days to play), which has made the last couple of years all the more extraordinary, but that feeling has surged to the forefront today.

Can we conjure a mystery Australian collapse from somewhere? I'm just worried we lack the firepower to reply in kind even if the track's gone flat. Baz is unlikely to repeat the dose of the first innings unless his scriptwriter has taken the biggest knock to the head ever, the lack of Ross really weakens the middle order, and Kane's sudden form slump is not helping matters.

And the remaining Aussie batsmen are well capable of posting another 400. :sigh:

I'm commentating for White Line Wireless on Tuesday, if it makes it that far.

We're racing through wickets now. Just a shame we didn't do this in the middle session yesterday! And Australia have managed to reach 500, so when we come in to bat we will be well in arrears. But Voges only ("only") made sixty so his average will decline, and Wagner's taken a five-for.

Pleased to see Wagner ultimately made it a six-for.

Not pleased to see that Guppy, maybe the best ODI opener in the world right now, continues to forget how to do anything with the bat the moment he sees a red ball.

Goodbye Brendon.

What a way to go too, a cracking six and then a sensational catch. His whole career in two balls really.

New Zealand cricket will never be the same.

The only redeemable part of this series was McCullum's hundred. I've made the mistake of severely overrating NZ in recent times, I expected them to at least draw the test series.

So we lose a few Tests to Australia - as in the country that's held the World Cup for most of your lifetime - and we're suddenly "severely overrated" despite winning or drawing series against a whole bunch of other perfectly good rivals in the last couple of years?

I'm disappointed with the outcome too, I expected a drawn series and our batsmen simply did not deliver (I did not think we'd be so hindered by Kane's mild form slump and Ross's absence), but you need to stop these kneejerk reactions to sport, Vlad.

I'd love to know what the fuck has happened to our bowling since the departure of Shane Bond as bowling coach. Mascarenhas seems to have taken us backwards rapidly.

So we lose a few Tests to Australia - as in the country that's held the World Cup for most of your lifetime - and we're suddenly "severely overrated" despite winning or drawing series against a whole bunch of other perfectly good rivals in the last couple of years?

I'm disappointed with the outcome too, I expected a drawn series and our batsmen simply did not deliver (I did not think we'd be so hindered by Kane's mild form slump and Ross's absence), but you need to stop these kneejerk reactions to sport, Vlad.

'Severely overrated' as in I expected the Australian/NZ series to be more closer than they ended up being. I don't think there's anything controversial in saying that.

Especially at home. As Cobbler noted, Boult's/Southee's bowling averages were very poor and this was in NZ conditions that NZ should be well at ease on. Having said that, if Australia had batted first in both tests, the appearance of either test may have been different.

I'd say the second Test was in the balance right up to the moment Williamson was dismissed, maybe even through that Henry/Watling partnership. Had the second New Zealand innings total been a hundred higher than it was, Australia would've faced a big challenge.

But I think you'd have every right to be disappointed with Australia posting two 500+ scores (even if they limped to it on the second one) on your home turf.

Yeah those pitches sure as shit didn't trouble them as much as I hoped.

On the other hand, we won the ODI series, so there's that.

Liberals trying to get Adam Gilchrist to run for them, please, don't Gilly ...

Very sad news. I'm glad he made it this far though. At the start of last year it was questionable if he would even make the World Cup. I'm so glad he got to see the Black Caps banish the demons of 1992.

RIP. :( Guess it was pretty inevitable. At least he got see enough to make him proud.

Back
Top Bottom