Official Cricket Thread Part 302 - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure

Old 12-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #211
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:38 AM
Geez, Sydney Thunder demolished Adelaide in the Big Bash. André Russell smashed a massive six right near the end, according to Freddie Flintoff the biggest of the tournament so far but suffice it to say he can be prone to exaggeration. He was off the hook tonight; I hope somebody makes a compilation of his best commentary moments. Between innings he did some crowd catches with Mark Waugh, culminating in him throwing a pie at Junior, who caught it and threw it back, and Freddie tried to catch it in his mouth.

Also, for those who care and have Foxtel access, there's a replay of NZ vs SL right now - the fourth wicket just fell, but if you're watching on Foxtel Go like I am you can rewind a bit to see some of the earlier events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
South Africa all out for 214. Elgar with an unbeaten century.
Shit he got over half their score! South Africa sure have been posting some low scores of late... will this Test culminate in another epic block-a-thon like in India?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #212
45:33

Wish I'd read your post 20 minutes ago, I'd have flicked over. SA/Eng just got back from the tea break. Elgar's century was fantastic, watched him get to 50. Crazily, until his century, de Villiers was the only SA batsman to have gotten a Test half-century in months. They're all horrible out of form. Watching Amla struggle hurts my soul.

But what hurts me more is the fact that England should be four down right now but SA dropped two extremely straightforward catches in the 10 mins before tea. I fear from here they'll reach an unassailable position.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #213

Also, yes, loving the BBL (mostly just because there's something on TV every night haha) but Flintoff has easily been the highlight. He is fucking hilarious, like the new Bumble or something. And he made a pretty ordinary game very entertaining, particularly when he admonished the "support staff" member for dropping a six catch, when it was Pat Cummins

edit, and the bit with his dad

Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #214

de Villiers dropped another catch, it was a regulation first slip catch but he dived for it and fluffed it, but thankfully Morkel had him feathering down the legside two balls later. enthralling..!
Old 12-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #215
Vocal parasite

Seriously, can Freddie commentate every game? He's got no filter and goes on the most random tangents, like he's the Ross Noble of commentating cricket or something.

And what the fuck is happening to South Africa? I figured they'd get a reasonable distance ahead of England, and instead they're now 261 behind at stumps on day three! It's going to be a block-a-thon fourth innings, you can tell already.

Speaking of block-a-thons, imagine if the Windies could pull one off! I was not expecting an Aussie declaration this morning; I thought Smith would go on for his century and bat long enough so that the likes of Nevill can get time out in the middle.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #216
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:08 AM
I was going to watch the BBL match but after the first ball wicket I decided, nah, not having that.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:17 AM   #217
Vocal parasite

You should've kept watching just for Freddie - he was barracking hard for Adelaide too!

Holder and Ramdin have offered good resistance today, both getting past fifty. They even brought up a century partnership, but shame Ramdin then got out next ball. Looks like we'll get a fifth day out of this!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-29-2015, 01:55 AM   #218
Vocal parasite

I may have spoken prematurely about a fifth day. They're now eight down with Holder dismissed for a gutsy 68. He looked absolutely heartbroken as he walked off the field.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #219
Vocal parasite

OK folks, let's say it together, the line I'm sure you know so well from a video I post all the time but with a couple of appropriate substitutions:

"You still watching that Boxing Day Test?"

"Yeah but it's nearly over, the Windies are batting. ...Aaaaaand it's over."

If Australia had enforced the follow on and the Windies had put in the same performance, Australia would've been required to chase two.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-29-2015, 04:33 AM   #220
Vocal parasite

Dan Christian just hit one of the biggest sixes you will ever see! He put it onto the roof at the 'Gabba. Even he was stunned.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

Surely Chris Lynn is a lock for the World T20. Incredible hitting.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #222
Vocal parasite

But he's gone now! This is a classic. Hope Hobart hold on.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 AM   #223
Vocal parasite

Best game of the season. Hobart finally wrested control in the final over and a half, but geez as long as Lynn was out there you thought Brisbane might do it, and even once he fell it seemed there was still a chance but Hobart took wickets at crucial moments, including that amazing runout by Reed from long on. He took two wickets with the last two balls of his last over, then got that runout - I think that ought to be called a hat trick!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

Best? Still not quite to the level of Stars against Thunder, given how much came down to the literal last ball.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #225
Vocal parasite

Sure that Thunder/Stars game came down to the last ball, and there's nothing quite like that in a game, but for overall quality I'd take this one. Incredible hitting, great bowling fightbacks, moments of fielding brilliance (especially that runout by Reed I mentioned), and despite the enormity of the total it legitimately felt like it could go either way - indeed, I felt it was swinging to Brisbane when Lynn reached his century - until the wickets that fell at the end of the second-last over. We know more than 20 runs have been scored in the final over of a Big Bash run chase before, and as long as there was a big hitter at the crease with the required rate below about 3 per ball it seemed Brisbane could still nab the win.

Anyway, both games were great advertisements for the format. Meanwhile, South Africa have heaps of work to do against England but haven't had the worst start, with Elgar and Amla a damn fine partnership to have heading into the last session of the fourth day. Any result could be on the cards, but South Africa's form woes suggest the win is highly unlikely. Could they finally succeed in forcing a draw from a blockathon?

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
cricket