Official Cricket Thread Part 237

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Vettori is stoked they finished early a he's late for his job as a barista.

Fucking amazing game. So happy with the result.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I am completely lost for words. I never thought I would ever see this, not even in my dreams. This is the best thing I have ever seen on a cricket field. Wow. Wow wow wow.

Oh my god, everybody. Oh. My. God.

This hasn't sunk in yet.

I'm so fucking proud of this team, of this little country that fucking can. So so proud. I don't think a sporting result has ever meant so much to me. I've actually got tears in my eyes. The Rugby World Cup was indescribably amazing - but, you know, we're amazing at rugby and 2011 was claiming the title we should have won so many times earlier. Cricket? Cricket?! If you're from a country that's made the grand final before, I'm not sure you can understand fully. This team has toyed with my emotions all my life, given me hints of belief and then fallen short. The semis seemed to be all we could hope for. We were too small, too much in the shadow of rugby and of the larger cricketing countries, one batsman or bowler short of a complete team. The first person I spoke to when we won was my 74 year old grandmother. She never thought she would live to see this day. I'm never going to forget hearing the indescribable joy in her voice.

If I were to make a list of greatest days in New Zealand sporting history, you better believe today is going to be a candidate for #1.

NEW ZEALAND ARE IN THE GRAND FINAL OF THE CRICKET WORLD CUP!!! MY BEAUTIFUL NEW ZEALAND!!!

Almost an hour on and I still think this is one of the greatest WC matches ever. It won't be forgotten easily.

Now I feel really sad for AB, what with the images of him visibly weeping, as well as the rest of the team. It's the drama of sport.

Already one of my favourite sporting moment photos.

CA2yB3YUcAA8XI8.jpg:large

Now I feel really sad for AB, what with the images of him visibly weeping, as well as the rest of the team. It's the drama of sport.

Me too, actually. I really like this South African team and I wish this had been the final rather than the semi - and not just because of the result!

But oh fuck me that game lived up to every bit of the hype. I could hardly breathe for those final overs.

And sorry Kane, but I think it's Grant's time in the avatar sun now.

Knowing you've had a rough trot of late Ax makes me all the happier about this win.

I was out tonight, had dumplins in the city and then saw Wil Anderson. I had the world cup app open on my phone but it got to a point where I just started streaming the game on my phone on Foxtel Go. During dinner. And then watched it all the way to the theatre, and then watched it in the foyer. It was so back and forth. Every ball, you were certain it was in one team's favour and then it would swing the other way. And Grant Elliott, of all people. It was just absolutely insane, an unbelievable finish and I only wish I had been at home and able to soak it all in on Twitter etc live as well.

Wil Anderson was watching it backstage and when Steyn got hammy treatment he actually told us on stage "you all nearly didn't get a show".

Knowing you've had a rough trot of late Ax makes me all the happier about this win.

Thanks man, I've thrown myself completely into this Cup and - well, I wish my mate who was over tonight had filmed me when we won because what a sight it must've been. I've got to work tomorrow, especially after not bothering to go in today, but right now I'm soaking this in by cranking great Kiwi tunes and re-reading the Cricinfo ball-by-ball commentary. This is the greatest New Zealand cricket team ever, no matter what happens on Sunday. I've never known a greater day in cricket. I hope I do come Sunday, but no matter what happens then, really I don't care because this is so far beyond what I dared to hope. If you'd told me a couple of years ago that a Kiwi would score a Test triple century and then the ODI team would make the World Cup grand final, I'd have asked you to hook me up with your drug supplier.

PS Foxtel Go, what a time to be alive. Well played Cobbler. I still cannot believe the way this game ebbed and flowed.

Haha yeah it was pretty fucking rude to my friends but there was no way in hell I was missing the ending.

Anyone seen footage of the 10 or so minutes between the final ball going for six and the presentations? I want to see the raw emotion, I can't find it anywhere.

AB de Villiers' speech at the presentation was phenomenal.

You folks have NO IDEA how many times I have watched Elliott's six. Well done boy, you've just defined your career in the most sensational way.

I don't know the first, second or last thing about cricket
But this thread is a fun read.
Go NZ.

:up: :up:

Haha yeah it was pretty fucking rude to my friends but there was no way in hell I was missing the ending.

Anyone seen footage of the 10 or so minutes between the final ball going for six and the presentations? I want to see the raw emotion, I can't find it anywhere.

AB de Villiers' speech at the presentation was phenomenal.

I've only seen highlights of the game itself, sorry. At the time - the whole thing's a blur really, I remember seeing the South Africans lying around devastated, admired the courage of those who got up to congratulate the Black Caps, and Elliott was all class. Amazing when he got man of the match; you could tell the enormity hadn't sunk in yet.

I hope that wherever Martin Crowe is right now, he can feel satisfied that the ghosts of 1992 have been put to rest. He doesn't have long left, and I'm so glad he's still around to see this.

And for Daniel Vettori to be at the crease in the last over, and to squeeze that four off a wide yorker - how many times have New Zealand's fortunes, hopes, and dreams fallen on that man's shoulders these past two decades? What a true champion.

Yeah I went nuts when he hit that four but thank god he got off strike next ball.

Thinking of Martin Crowe makes me emotional. Having just finished the 92 WC report book, he was a strong part of the tournament's zeitgeist alongside Wasim Akram.

I've been away from here as i've been busy...i was at the the BEST GAME EVER!!!

I'm still buzzing - never hugged so many strangers! My partner was not impressed haha. I'm not even Kiwi but it does mean so much to me and everyone here. This is bigger than the Hillary and Everest if they win - bigger than the suffrage petition of 1893!

Elliot is a legend

Hope NZ can do it again one more time for Dan the man

I stayed until McCullum said his speech - couldnt hear much as crowd was so loud!

I'm not a big SA fan so was glad to see them weep. I had no faith in NZ until that 6 was hit. Thought my man Taylor was doing ok until the run out. Hopefully he comes good in the final. If only i had $$ i'd go to Melbourne but 750 a one way flight is a bit steep.

Now for the other semi - come on India! Beat those ugly Aussie sledgers (Faulkner really is an ugly bloke though)

It must've been incredible to be there. I've never heard a New Zealand crowd like that. Honestly I don't think even the 2011 Rugby World Cup grand final crowd was that intense or invested in every second of the game.

I honestly have no idea who I think will win today. Like Tuesday, it feels like this could go either way, but unlike Tuesday, when both teams seemed so evenly matched in every regard, these two could not be more different. I don't get this nonsense coming from some Australian commentators that this is now a "complete" Aussie team. There's no fucking frontline spinner! Shane Watson's still in the squad! Get rid of Watto and bring in a proper spinner and then the team may be complete, but not now.

I think I want India to progress. If New Zealand face India and somehow win, it would mean we've defeated literally every other top eight team in the past two months. Couldn't be a much greater claim to world champions than that. If India win, they will be missing Sri Lanka and England from the set; if Australia win, they will be missing South Africa and the Windies.

The Warner wicket early was good, and I don't think the Indian bowling has been bad - at any rate, Finch still doesn't look comfortable out there.

But this won't be much of a contest if India don't hurry up and take some more wickets.

Back
Top Bottom