NRL Uber-Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
get up and about !! it's origin time!!

very disappointed there was no roy an hg. hg hasn't been on triple m for a bit, wonder where he is. anyway.

what shocking umpiring on wednesday night.

So, uh, I'm interested in getting more into the league. I'm just wondering what team I should support? I'm leaning towards the Warriors because they're not part of the eastern states, and I like New Zealand, but then again, I thought it'd be good to go for Parramatta or something because they've got Eagles colours. Don't really care about current ladders or whatever, but chances are, due to circumstances, I'll be playing and talking more Rugby in the coming months, so I thought it'd be good to start focusing on both League and Union a bit more.

Anyway, whoever yells the name of their team loudest wins. I'm not going for Cronulla, though. Sorry, rules are rules. I don't like the fact that they're bustling in on our territory.

whatever you do . . . no roosters or sea eagles . . . two of the most hated teams in the league . . .silvertails and all that jazz . . .and no sharkies or bulldoggies either (although el masri is magic :D)

I actually know more about league than I care to admit - thanks in large part to league obsessed husband - quite like watching the bunnies when they're in form and have a soft spot for the knights . . .Parra always good if you like your footballers with no teeth (i kid), and if nathan hindmarsh is still with em he's a bloody fantastic player to watch!

am duty bound to urge you to scream, at the top of your lungs

c'arn the bunnies

south_sydney2.jpg

(and if my husband ever finds out I posted in an nrl thread, well, I'm coming after whoever dibber dobbed me in :D )

So, uh, I'm interested in getting more into the league. I'm just wondering what team I should support? I'm leaning towards the Warriors because they're not part of the eastern states, and I like New Zealand, but then again, I thought it'd be good to go for Parramatta or something because they've got Eagles colours. Don't really care about current ladders or whatever, but chances are, due to circumstances, I'll be playing and talking more Rugby in the coming months, so I thought it'd be good to start focusing on both League and Union a bit more.

Anyway, whoever yells the name of their team loudest wins. I'm not going for Cronulla, though. Sorry, rules are rules. I don't like the fact that they're bustling in on our territory.

you just can't say no to a team with this dude in it

390095.jpg

also, parramatta are kinda scummy and don't support a sydney club because who in their right mind would

Well what a disapointment origin was. :|

But on the upside Panthers won! :up:

Just on a side note: I hate men who think just becuase I'm a girl I can't talk about footy like they do. :mad:

Thanks for the advice, Purple - but I decided early on that any team called the "rabbitohs" could not be worth less of my time. The ugly Christmas theme nails it. Also, I know nothing about South Sydney. Sorry!

Ian, you bring up three good points that I have taken into consideration. I was going to pick whichever team was playing the Sharks in Hindmarsh next, but I'm pretty sure that's not until next year - I know they lost against the Cowboys earlier this year there, though, but Queensland is kind of dodgy. The fact that the QLD, ACT and NSW teams are out of the question is kinda a problem, and I know deep inside that I could never root for a Melbourne team, so I'm very much leaning towards the Warriors. I did feel some genuine disappointment about their loss today, but it might have had more to do with the fact that Cronulla won. In any case, I'll keep you guys updated.

You see, my sister's boyfriend recently arrived from Britain. He's a very nice chap, and he's keen on union and league, so I thought it would be the done thing and get into them both a bit more. In the meantime, I have to teach him Aussie Rules, so everybody wins. Also, to be frank - all the recent controversies made the game a lot more attractive, or at least interesting to me. Must be the Eagles thing.

you just can't say no to a team with this dude in it

390095.jpg

also, parramatta are kinda scummy and don't support a sydney club because who in their right mind would

yes you can (say no) :yikes: and funnily enough if there were no sydney teams there would be no comp :tongue: :lol:

Well what a disapointment origin was. :|

:up: .. . it was dericulous

Thanks for the advice, Purple - but I decided early on that any team called the "rabbitohs" could not be worth less of my time. The ugly Christmas theme nails it. Also, I know nothing about South Sydney. Sorry!

:tongue:

(although I see your point about the garish christmas theme!!!)

you could always go for the good ole west tigers . . . yes they are a little to close to your 'beloved' sharks on the ladder but usually pretty good value & taps into that whole grass roots / foundation club / working class battler vein that most people seem to love . . . and you could 'roar' at the opposition 'like a tiger' . .. :lol:

(sorry, v bad joke . .. going now, see ya)

^ :hmm: . . . much prettier that's for sure . . . but he's still a warrior :shame:
(although, would rather a team of warriors win the comp than those tricked up ponies from melbourne :) )

but if we're talking pretty . . . bunnies would take the prize anyway

CraigWing.jpg

:whistle: :D

Clinton fined $50,000 by the Broncos
cannot believe this.

why's no one mentioned the sharks ceo?

nrl in major strife this year!

because this thread isn't as busy as the afl one, and i haven't seen much mention of the afl controversies over there. if you want to start that kind of crap.

nobody mentioned him because we no doubt all agree he's a tool.

in major strife. jesus, would you like to overreact a little bit more?

because this thread isn't as busy as the afl one, and i haven't seen much mention of the afl controversies over there. if you want to start that kind of crap.

nobody mentioned him because we no doubt all agree he's a tool.

in major strife. jesus, would you like to overreact a little bit more?

not trying to start a war or anything here, mate, don't take it the wrong way. it just seems the nrl's plagued by controversies this year, to the point where it's dominating, certainly seems that way in melbourne anyway.

fair point

my bad:)

what part can't you believe btw?

now that i've read the story, it's an incredible overreaction by the club. it's worthy of a fine, but 50k? good lord. especially given what he's being paid now, that's a huge chunk of his income.

same thing, that he got fined 50k for trying to hook in with a girl. i get that it's against their conduct code, and with all the controversies and whatnot, but to hear them say they were thinking of sacking him altogether... that's ridiculous.

COBL, about the leagues problems, they are being magnified enourmously by a ravenous media that have no regard for content. Melbourne only hear negative stories, because they like to think the AFL is better behaved, and more popular. In the end, this case, and even the Sharks case, nothing happened that was illegal. If a player broke club rules, the club deals with it, and its over. If he acted fully within the bounds of the law, it isnt a scandal, its not even worthy of column inches.

If we really want to fire shots accross the bow, I could say a fair bit about the AFL's drugs policy. It virtually invites players to use. The first instance, players are told by the testers not to do it again. The second instance the club doctors and management are told, the thrid instance the AFL and media are told.

It is a baseball rule where you get 3 goes. SOmething as serious as drugs should be a hard and fast fine/suspension immediately

COBL, about the leagues problems, they are being magnified enourmously by a ravenous media that have no regard for content. Melbourne only hear negative stories, because they like to think the AFL is better behaved, and more popular. In the end, this case, and even the Sharks case, nothing happened that was illegal. If a player broke club rules, the club deals with it, and its over. If he acted fully within the bounds of the law, it isnt a scandal, its not even worthy of column inches.

If we really want to fire shots accross the bow, I could say a fair bit about the AFL's drugs policy. It virtually invites players to use. The first instance, players are told by the testers not to do it again. The second instance the club doctors and management are told, the thrid instance the AFL and media are told.

It is a baseball rule where you get 3 goes. SOmething as serious as drugs should be a hard and fast fine/suspension immediately

you also failed to mention that almost everything being intensified this year happened years ago. the group sex in christchurch was 2002 - seven years ago! zappia was a year or two. the league wasn't in a pretty place between 02-04, and everyone can admit that. but that was the better part of five years ago - if this is the best (or worst) that can be found to slam the nrl, it's a bit pissweak.

Just to clear up here, I really haven't meant to start a war here.

Point taken. And yours too there, Ian. Rugby gets woeful coverage down here, the only things we've heard so far have been the Johns, Zappia and now Clinton stories, so yeah. It's the way they're playing it out down here, not sure how it is up there. I was on Johns' side in the gang-bang business.

You certainly could, as there is literally nothing stopping an AFL player from taking drugs one or twice, nothing at all. The fact is that drugs and/or alcohol abuse is rampant.

It's worth remembering that Ben Cousins has yet to test positive.

Fail = the knights, I never saw the game but wow!

Even the panthers did better then that, at least they scored.

Its a shame the panthers didn't beat manly, they had promoted the pink thing for a while around penrith and then they went and lost the game.

Back
Top Bottom