NRL Uber-Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
So apparently it will only be myself, and Kheen using this thread, but still, I hate to take over the ol' marriage thread with sport talk!

:cute: sadly i can't watch any games as we don't have a rugby station here, just cricket. (and i should add the cricket station is perpetually showing a match wif new zealand @ india it seems.) so i'll just follow it online i guess.

If this thread isn't a dead fish, I will no doubt regail you with stories of Cowboys supremecy, and trash the Warriors, just for being Kiwi's.

Ahhh racism... :love:

(ps, that was said in jest)

:cute: sadly i can't watch any games as we don't have a rugby station here, just cricket. (and i should add the cricket station is perpetually showing a match wif new zealand @ india it seems.) so i'll just follow it online i guess.
i was going to point you to the nrl website to see if they had any streaming options, but you have to pay and then it's only replays and stuff on delay. there's probably a less legal stream somewhere, however. i can only imagine if it's broadcast there it's on a fox sports channel.

this thread = awesome.

fuuuuck the warriors injury list is getting ugly.

i was going to point you to the nrl website to see if they had any streaming options, but you have to pay and then it's only replays and stuff on delay. there's probably a less legal stream somewhere, however. i can only imagine if it's broadcast there it's on a fox sports channel.

this thread = awesome.

fuuuuck the warriors injury list is getting ugly.
illegalnrlgames.co.nz? :giggle:

This is the best party ever. If you guys ever thought about adopting a 22 year old son, I'll put my hand up??? :wave:

:laugh: you like video games too?

although, it may be a little awkward, i'm only 21.

hmmm, If I was Samoan I could forge my birth cert. to make me younger?

Other than that, it would be a highly unusal situation where a father is younger than his son. I don't want to even imagine the kind of freaky shit that would need to happen for that to work

hmmm, If I was Samoan I could forge my birth cert. to make me younger?

Other than that, it would be a highly unusal situation where a father is younger than his son. I don't want to even imagine the kind of freaky shit that would need to happen for that to work

it would have to involve time travel, surely.

and that's the only way i intend on becoming a father in the next six years, that's for damn sure.

^ I had a shocker in the tipping this round. After last weeks infamous weekend of 8 upset wins, I had 4, trying to tip a few suprises.

Cowboys guerneys are gold. Shame they still aren't playing well. Few things killed us though, the penalty against for passing after being tackled on the first tackle attacking the Titans line was garbage, and then the penalty they got to make it an 8 point lead was just wrong.

The Cowboys, once again remained competitive against a good side while playing like absolute amateurs. I can't wait for the day that it all falls into place and they play like they should be

^ I had a shocker in the tipping this round. After last weeks infamous weekend of 8 upset wins, I had 4, trying to tip a few suprises.

Cowboys guerneys are gold. Shame they still aren't playing well. Few things killed us though, the penalty against for passing after being tackled on the first tackle attacking the Titans line was garbage, and then the penalty they got to make it an 8 point lead was just wrong.

The Cowboys, once again remained competitive against a good side while playing like absolute amateurs. I can't wait for the day that it all falls into place and they play like they should be

i think i landed four tips last week, including picking souths over auckland. there is no way the warriors were ever going to win that game.

their jersey got me all excited for the heritage round - i can't wait to see what they'll wear against the warriors because that blue is going to clash with the auckland representative strip the warriors will be wearing, which is why we had to wear that red abomination in the heritage round last year.

i watched that game, you guys have the same problem as the warriors, a serious lack of creativity close to the line. speaking of the warriors, i'm not too gutted with the loss in newcastle. i'm still filthy that gidley didn't get sin binned for his clear professional foul on kemp, because i think we'd have finished all over them with him off the park. must win against easts this weekend, simply because we can't afford to lose another home game. i'd like to think we'll have vatuvei back, so that adds SOME attacking spark. fucking injuries!

i think i landed four tips last week, including picking souths over auckland. there is no way the warriors were ever going to win that game.

their jersey got me all excited for the heritage round - i can't wait to see what they'll wear against the warriors because that blue is going to clash with the auckland representative strip the warriors will be wearing, which is why we had to wear that red abomination in the heritage round last year.

i watched that game, you guys have the same problem as the warriors, a serious lack of creativity close to the line. speaking of the warriors, i'm not too gutted with the loss in newcastle. i'm still filthy that gidley didn't get sin binned for his clear professional foul on kemp, because i think we'd have finished all over them with him off the park. must win against easts this weekend, simply because we can't afford to lose another home game. i'd like to think we'll have vatuvei back, so that adds SOME attacking spark. fucking injuries!

Injuries killed us last year.

As a novocastrian, I have to say I was very suprised to see Newcastle win. They have been so inconsistant, and just can't close out games unless they have a 20 point lead coming into the final 15.

Fien is playing really well though, you guys need to start using him more on the line, get the ball in his hands every play. Stacey is a gun, but from my memory of him in his prime, he was always more effective putting people through holes from 40-metres than from 4.

Injuries killed us last year.

As a novocastrian, I have to say I was very suprised to see Newcastle win. They have been so inconsistant, and just can't close out games unless they have a 20 point lead coming into the final 15.

Fien is playing really well though, you guys need to start using him more on the line, get the ball in his hands every play. Stacey is a gun, but from my memory of him in his prime, he was always more effective putting people through holes from 40-metres than from 4.

we did very well to come back from our injury problems early in the season last year - everyone knows what happened once we got to full strength.

i wasn't, again expecting us to win...we're missing about 820 games of nrl experience through injury at the moment, and it means we lose a lot of attacking spark. i was glad we were still giving it a real go right until the end. newcastle still nearly blew a 12 point lead with 12 to go.

ugh, fein. i love and hate the guy. he'll do something brilliant and then he'll kick it dead on the third tackle. i'd be a lot happier if cleary told him not to dare kick the ball on attack, and just keep giving it to stacey.

i also can't believe i'm praying for the return of lance hohaia...it's likely related to the fact that we finally have a coach who realises he's never ever ever ever ever x200 going to be a good half.

I will be suprised if you guys actually don't finish top 4 with a full strength side.

Despite the fact that they have been all close games, I will be shocked if the Broncos don't come out on top this year. Great side, and well coached (Henjak is a breathe of fresh air to a side that, while well coached, needed an injection of new blood).

My top 4 would look something like this, all things being equal with injuries etc - I can see a table looking like

Brisbane - Top side
Melbourne - Playing badly, but still a gun team
St George - Will be hard to knock off
NZ - Potentially one of the best, a bit inconsistant to come higher than 4th
Bulldogs - Much better side than they have been in years. Great off-season buys
Titans - Solid team accross the park. Well lead by Prince and Campbell
Cowboys - Talent wise, best team around. Have the same problem as the Warriors, consistency.
Knights - Under-rated. Not good enough to break top 4, but should make top 8

Souths - Have some great players, not well coached. Heart brings a few good wins, but they lack structure
Manly - Nightmare start to the season, shows what one player can do. If he goes to gaol, they're cooked
Sharks - Need Barrett to stay fit, and have some forwards avoid suspension/injury
Raiders - Campese runs the team. Won't often beat teams above them on the table, but will clean up ones below
Roosters - Too inconsistant, and have players WAY too overrated to be considered challengers.
Eels - Club in turmoil, no direction, team is average at best
Tigers - Without Benji and Robbie Farrah they would be dead last
Panthers - Worst side on paper, and often perform that way. Will get some suprise wins, but tend to always lose the close games

I will be suprised if you guys actually don't finish top 4 with a full strength side.

Despite the fact that they have been all close games, I will be shocked if the Broncos don't come out on top this year. Great side, and well coached (Henjak is a breathe of fresh air to a side that, while well coached, needed an injection of new blood).

My top 4 would look something like this, all things being equal with injuries etc - I can see a table looking like

Brisbane - Top side
Melbourne - Playing badly, but still a gun team
St George - Will be hard to knock off
NZ - Potentially one of the best, a bit inconsistant to come higher than 4th
Bulldogs - Much better side than they have been in years. Great off-season buys
Titans - Solid team accross the park. Well lead by Prince and Campbell
Cowboys - Talent wise, best team around. Have the same problem as the Warriors, consistency.
Knights - Under-rated. Not good enough to break top 4, but should make top 8

Souths - Have some great players, not well coached. Heart brings a few good wins, but they lack structure
Manly - Nightmare start to the season, shows what one player can do. If he goes to gaol, they're cooked
Sharks - Need Barrett to stay fit, and have some forwards avoid suspension/injury
Raiders - Campese runs the team. Won't often beat teams above them on the table, but will clean up ones below
Roosters - Too inconsistant, and have players WAY too overrated to be considered challengers.
Eels - Club in turmoil, no direction, team is average at best
Tigers - Without Benji and Robbie Farrah they would be dead last
Panthers - Worst side on paper, and often perform that way. Will get some suprise wins, but tend to always lose the close games

i do think once we get a settled lineup we'll do fine.

i think brisbane and st george ought to run away in the minor premiership standings, now that the dragons have a decent coach it would be a miracle for them to fail with the cattle at that club.

i'll have a wild swing at my thoughts on the teams, but i daren't pick the top eight.

brisbane - looking as dangerous as ever, they'll comfortably make the eight if they get through origin ok
melbourne - they will get their shit together eventually. the emphasis on speeding up the game SHOULD help them, but since they've been coached for so long to slow it down they're struggling.
st george - as i said above, now with a decent coach they're a genuine threat
auckland - keep the a-team on the park and i think we can win it, with cleary we're much more consistent. if we finish 2009 like we've finished 07 and 08 we'll be hard to beat.
canterbury - yep, great offseason. they'll do fine.
gold coast - another team that need to stay clear of injuries and they'll be sweet, if the last few years are anything to go by
north queensland - eeeeeh, i can't tell. they're an enigma, i fear they're like newcastle with andrew johns, can be great but fall apart too often
knights - two words as to why they'll fail: brian smith
souths - i think they're going to go fine, they'll make the eight.
manly - you'd think they've got too much class to not make the top eight, but who knows where their heads are at
sharks - they're fucked and i hope they fold off the field as well. ricky stuart is the most overrated coach ever, and he's an asshole.
raiders - christ almighty, who knows?
roosters - see above, except i think the roosters definitely won't make the finals
eels - they're in a world of trouble, i wonder how long fitzy will put up with daniel anderson tbh
tigers - fucked. stone cold last by a mile, with or without benji and farah.
panthers - matt elliot, but they might surprise.

ok, somewhere that stopped being predictions and became my opinions on some clubs, lol.

^ haah, well, without opinions we may as well all be barcoded, branded and filed away.

I am a firm believer that humans need opinions in order to function correctly. I also believe that people should be able to justify, using logic, any opinion that they have. It is our duty as human beings to decode universal events, and without opinion there is just boring, plain old fact.

I think we agree about the top 4 or so contenders. If the cowboys could rub out the first 14 minutes against canberra, and the few dodgy calls the other night, id have them up there as well. Lost by one to Brisbane, lost in a good game to Melbourne, no chame in either.

^ haah, well, without opinions we may as well all be barcoded, branded and filed away.

I am a firm believer that humans need opinions in order to function correctly. I also believe that people should be able to justify, using logic, any opinion that they have. It is our duty as human beings to decode universal events, and without opinion there is just boring, plain old fact.

I think we agree about the top 4 or so contenders. If the cowboys could rub out the first 14 minutes against canberra, and the few dodgy calls the other night, id have them up there as well. Lost by one to Brisbane, lost in a good game to Melbourne, no chame in either.

ha, very true.

i'm not a fan of sitting on the fence, even though i do it so often.

ditto the warriors - take away the extremely arsey tries souths scored, kemp missing the easy kick against newcastle that would have given us a tied game with the warriors finishing all over newcastle (plus gidley should have been in the sin bin!) and suddenly we look really healthy. the problem is, it starts with bad luck in games and before you know it you're out of finals contention by round 15.

How is my man Israel going up there?

I saw him in the flesh once, without a shirt on. MY GOD.

He's like a year older than me, and he was fucking humungous. Seriously, I'm no shrimp, but he made me look like a fucking four year old. I swear he was eight foot tall and his shoulders were at least two metres wide. :lol:

My bad...

In the AFL there is a side who has finished on the bottom of ladder and in the same season won the premiership... it happened in 1916, when Fitzroy finished fourth and last on the ladder and then won the flag... only four teams competed due to WWI. :nerd:

poor khan, i just saw when the knights game has been scheduled for while she's here - friday night, 8:30pm kickoff. in june. that's a rough initiation.

My bad...

In the AFL there is a side who has finished on the bottom of ladder and in the same season won the premiership... it happened in 1916, when Fitzroy finished fourth and last on the ladder and then won the flag... only four teams competed due to WWI. :nerd:

true, but what do you expect of a sport that gives people a point for missing? :tsk: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom