NRL Uber-Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've had it in for him for years, he's rubbish. and he dropped the ball on sunday when he had the line wide open...pretty much costing us the game.

Coach Ivan Cleary took aim at his error-ridden New Zealand Warriors and suggested they were distracted by next Friday's test match after their tense 11-12 National Rugby League (NRL) defeat to St George-Illawarra in Wollongong yesterday. A fuming Cleary could barely utter the words after his side continued their 13-year winning drought in Wollongong – despite a tough defensive effort and a host of scoring chances against the in-form Dragons.
The worst of those was Kiwis centre Jerome Ropati's dropped ball from a Simon Mannering pass with the line open in the 67th minute and the Warriors 11-8 up.
"Jerome was way off his game... We've had a lot of trouble in this game leading up to the Anzac test and it happened again this week," Cleary said.
"I'm not sure the scheduling's great, having so many guys in the test team playing on Sunday before a Friday game."
Asked if the Warriors would benefit from the bye in the week leading up to the test rather than next weekend, Cleary said: "We've just got to get some guys who can concentrate properly.
"History's showed we struggle in this game. Some of these guys were clearly off their game a bit today."
The Warriors had five Kiwis test players in their side.
Playing their third nailbiter in as many weeks, they had a final chance to send it to golden point but halfback Stacey Jones fumbled the ball as he set for a field goal, 1min 40sec from fulltime.
Replays suggested Dragons forward Ben Creagh, who scored the matchwinning try in the 71st minute, was well offside but Cleary had few issues.
"I don't know if he was offside or not, but it shouldn't have come down to that."
The defeat was the Warriors' fourth from eight matches this season to leave them still outside the top-eight, while the Wayne Bennett-coached Dragons racked up their sixth win.
Cleary felt the team may have been flat from their torrid 14-14 extra time draw in Melbourne eight days ago and the resultant travel, but said they should have overcome that.
Price agreed with his coach, that the Warriors blew a certain two competition points.
"The Dragons have set their whole season on defence and when you get chances against them you've got to score," Price said.
"We did enough but basic fundamentals let us down and that's the most disappointing and frustrating part of it, we worked so hard defensively but fell short because we didn't take our chances."
Price had a running battle with referees Ben Cummins and Jason Robinson, who blew 11 first half penalties, but insisted afterwards he had little complaint about the refereeing.
Having confirmed on match day he'd signed for a 17th NRL season in 2010, Price set up the Warriors' opening try with a chargedown of a Jamie Soward kick on his own 15m line.
Mannering raced 70m before being run down by Brett Morris, before Patrick Ah Van scored out wide from the next play.
A Jones field goal gave the Warriors a 7-2 halftime lead but a series of handling errors helped the Dragons get on a roll, and a converted Morris try made it 7-8 with 20 minutes left.
Ropati carried four Dragons defenders over the line to put the Warriors back in front, three minutes later.
Dragons coach Wayne Bennett labelled it a "courageous" win with his side hit by injuries; Kiwi Jeremy Smith (ankle, in doubt for the test), Matt Cooper (hip), Soward (hip), Wendell Sailor (leg cork), and Jarrod Saffy (sternum).
-NZPA

ha! I only just discovered this thread, I thought I was alone on the NRL love.

City Vs Country should be very good :hyper:

I'm a Penrith supporter, have been all my life :)

Im from newcastle, and was a Knights fan for years. in 95 when the Cowboys started up, my best mate's cousin was signed, so we adopted them and I haven't looked back.

We did have Knights season tickets from 1988-2002

I can say I saw almost every single home game Andrew johns ever played. Some may think he's a jerk, but I will say he is the greaest footballer ever, and there's nothing anyone can say to change that. Also, it would be bloody hard being the greatest footballer ever and still playing to control your ego.

I happen to agree with you, Andrew johns was a wonderful player, without him we wouldn't have one half the origins we did.

It's a shame his career went down like it did, with the drug use becoming public knowledge. Not that I condone drug taking, but it makes you wonder how many other players do this.

I happen to agree with you, Andrew johns was a wonderful player, without him we wouldn't have one half the origins we did.

It's a shame his career went down like it did, with the drug use becoming public knowledge. Not that I condone drug taking, but it makes you wonder how many other players do this.

It's very true. I can tell you that most take recreational drugs. Most sportspeople do. I played junior football for the Knights with Mullen, Ben Farrer from the Cowboys, Kade Snowden from the Sharks, Aiden Kirk form the Warriors, Terrance Seu Seu from the Sharks and Luke Walsh from the Panthers. I haven't known these guys to get into it, but ive heard stories about a lot of players.

Recreational drugs arent performance enhancers, and im glad that not many have gone as far as to call him a drug cheat.

lockyer > johns

yeah, i went there.

I have watched 99% of the football games played for the last 10 years or so. No joke. Since FOX played games, I have watched them all. Lockyer is fantastic. He has never inspired one person to claim he was the best ever. not one. If he was mentioned in the same breathe as raper, gasnier, churchill and co, people would say that you can't compare accross era's, leave it at that.

Almost every respected past and present football commentator, ex-player or official has said it is UNFAIR to compare Johns to those guys, because it would ruin their reputations.

If their skill level was the same Johns would still have him covered because he defended like a prop. Johns could do things noone in the game will ever be able to do again. He saw the game differently to everyone else.

Een, I respect you, but making claims like that not only makes you look silly, but it also makes you look ignorant

I will add that it was always going to happen that people would eventually start to wane on the Andrew Johns lore. While he was still going and still wowing, there was no denying it. The curse of time in his case is that people will now go back and think, "oh, he wasn't THAT good". He bloody was.

I saw him play over 150 games at Marathon Stadium (now horribly named Energy Australia Stadium). You will never be able to convince me that Lockyer was worthy of carrying his sweat towels

Speaking of Lockyer. (Who I call smiley, because I have never seen him smile.)

I think he happens to be a mighty fine player. I actually think he might be the next great player in the game.

But it is also a shame that he has come far in the game, and only starting to get the credit in the last few years.

ok, i really only said that for a reaction.

anyway, on a different note, how excited are we all that cronulla seem to be on their deathbed? i don't know how the club is viable. i say we buy them up (as in a handful of us on interference), sell the land the stadium and club property is on, sell on the license and take the profits of the land sale.

^ great plan.

How good is Hohaia going at hooker.

He needs his hands on the pall more with the warriors.

Thurston is the king. They know the dummy is coming but they still can't stop it.

seriously, they'd better be careful or someone will do that. that land is very fucking valuable.

hohaia has just reached another level since he had to step in at fullback for wade mckinnon last year. finally he has a coach who recognises that he isn't a half. he's definitely a great hooker as well, he's just that damn elusive. given the warriors problems in the backline, however, i'd love to see him given a go at centre, either to replace the fucking walking turnstile in jerome ropati or on the other side to see if we can actually attack down two sides instead of always going to manu.

i barely watched the test, knew what was going to happen.

Thurston, what a 24 hours!

5 tries and 9 goals... He is a freak. Scott Prince can feel pretty inadequate about himself now!

Matt Johns suspended by Channel 9. Good or bad?

I think the whole League's attitude to women is reprehensible, but should someone be fired for participating in a legal and consensual sexual act? He did nothing illegal

good.

i'm sick of the attitude towards women from so many players in this sport. sure, she agreed initially, but if you've got people climbing in windows, it's not right.

anyone done for this kind of thing should be suspended indefinitely, just because they've got fucking rocks in their head. don't put yourself in the situation.

Can someone just clear up for me, no other crap, what it was exactly (and when) Johns did? I don't know the story but a lot of these things are oversensationalised and players get victimised when many worse things happen with men/women in the general public every day..

it sounds like he took part in this group sex thing with a 19 year old. apparently she was consenting (at first anyway) but obviously something happened during the incident that gave her severe emotional trauma. i'm too lazy to look for more info though :lol:

Back
Top Bottom