NRL Uber-Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bound to be.

given we're staying in the city we'll have to fight the traffic as opposed to any other friday game i've been to, but i'll probably steer clear of the motorway. plus if we get there early (ish) i should be able to get a better park than the ones i've had the last few weeks, therefore less time sitting in the carpark afterwards.

and the motorway will be dead on the way back, so we'll be sweet. getting there is going to be the fun part :hyper: depending on their form and the expected crowd in the days leading up to the game, i'll pick a time that we need to leave to get there at some point before kickoff. or if you haven't adjusted to the time difference we can do something in east auckland for the afternoon and head to mt smart the way i normally do.

um, bring some seriously warm clothes.

consider you'll be coming from summer. my guess it it'll get down to probably about 44 degrees, and that's if it doesn't rain. :lol:

i'll probably do my usual and just wear a jacket over my jersey.
:hmm: okay. i'll just make sure to bring my hoodie, scarf, and gloves. wait...they're all steelers :giggle: i'll look like a moron.

heehee, i'll bring things for cold weather and then just layer as needed: long sleeve shirt, some type of jacket, gloves, and a scarf. we could bring a blanket :cute:

:hmm: okay. i'll just make sure to bring my hoodie, scarf, and gloves. wait...they're all steelers :giggle: i'll look like a moron.

heehee, i'll bring things for cold weather and then just layer as needed: long sleeve shirt, some type of jacket, gloves, and a scarf. we could bring a blanket :cute:

:cute: don't worry, nobody really seems to care. you'd be shocked at the amount of nfl stuff at warriors games. admittedly, you'd be the only white person wearing any, but still.

you're forced to wear that warriors jersey i gave you in february, other than that you can cover it by whatever you need to.

:cute: don't worry, nobody really seems to care. you'd be shocked at the amount of nfl stuff at warriors games. admittedly, you'd be the only white person wearing any, but still.

you're forced to wear that warriors jersey i gave you in february, other than that you can cover it by whatever you need to.
:hmm: i dunno, to me it seems ignorant to do that so-ooo i won't. :D

oh, i'm wearing it. i'd wear a long sleeved shirt underneath, which is good as the only one i own is a steelers one :giggle:

:hmm: i dunno, to me it seems ignorant to do that so-ooo i won't. :D

oh, i'm wearing it. i'd wear a long sleeved shirt underneath, which is good as the only one i own is a steelers one :giggle:

haha, it's not a problem with me. besides, everyone that sits around us would understand :lol: otherwise, pack lighter and i'll get you more warriors crap.

ah, excellent. i'll wear my away jersey from the same era so we can be twinz that don't look anything alike, even wif the jersey. and :cute:

what odds after discussing this we get an unseasonably warm evening?

haha, it's not a problem with me. besides, everyone that sits around us would understand :lol: otherwise, pack lighter and i'll get you more warriors crap.

ah, excellent. i'll wear my away jersey from the same era so we can be twinz that don't look anything alike, even wif the jersey. and :cute:

what odds after discussing this we get an unseasonably warm evening?
:cute: yay. i won't complain. besides, there's always your blanket :drool:

heehee, yay.

ha, probs. though at least i'll be there for two games, so odds are good at least one will be chilly. right? right?!

Jones2302.jpg

fuck yeah!

Not a bad result there for you guys yesterday. They are the games you need to win to be there at the end, and the games the cowboys have been losing atm.

Good win for us yesterday. Sharks may be last, but they are still one of, if not the best defensive side in the competition. to put 34 points on them is a fair achievment for any side

looked like a good improvement on previous weeks for the cowboys, but it was only cronulla.

god, i love how the ladder looks at the moment. parramatta and cronulla 15th and 16th respectively - could that make me happier?

looked like a good improvement on previous weeks for the cowboys, but it was only cronulla.

god, i love how the ladder looks at the moment. parramatta and cronulla 15th and 16th respectively - could that make me happier?

only if the Roosters and bulldogs took up 13 and 14 too...

Cowboys were 1 win 4 losses and still had a positive points difference. It was only a matter of time. They will make top 8.

The knights are going great guns. Won't last, as any Brian Smith coached team experiences. But they will be on of the few teams to win at kogarah this year

only if the Roosters and bulldogs took up 13 and 14 too...

Cowboys were 1 win 4 losses and still had a positive points difference. It was only a matter of time. They will make top 8.

The knights are going great guns. Won't last, as any Brian Smith coached team experiences. But they will be on of the few teams to win at kogarah this year

oh man, that's the dream scenario. two of my fondest mt smart memories are when we cleaned up the chooks in the finals last year, and that field goal going through in extra time on sunday. there's something about them that just bothers me.

i hope the cowboys really come right, i kinda love the 1995 expansion club rivalry.

oh, you're definitely right on the knights. as per brian smith, they're doing good but they won't last. once they're rid of him they'll win the whole bloody competition :laugh:

speaking of brian smith, there's a trend where a club that signs a player he cast off the previous year wins the premiership the next season. two words: jesse royal. we've got this competition sewn up.

:angry:

glad to take a point away from olympic park, especially given how embarrassingly bad we were for about 60 minutes of that game. can't believe given the chances we had we couldn't get it done in extra time.

we're going to need to shape the fuck up fast, because the top four is a long way away and is only going to get further away if we keep playing like this.

ps i love lance hohaia. unlucky for him that wade mckinnon is somehow even better at the back, because he's finally found his place at fullback.

oh oh oh, this article made my day.

Thanks for thinking of me, Ricky, but I have better things to do

Dear Ricky, perhaps you misunderstood my comments during the week about your predicament at Cronulla.

Your invitation to have me come to training and talk to your players about attacking football is quite flattering, however, I didn't actually offer you any assistance.

First, I'm retired.

Second, even if I were motivated to coach, you'd be the last person I'd help.

To be honest Ricky, you are the most pig-headed and ungrateful person I've met in football. I discontinued my association with you four years ago because I could no longer tolerate your petulance.

As for your childish comments I somehow cost you your position at the Roosters 18 months later, perhaps my lawyers should ask you to explain that rubbish in court. People are sick of your continually trying to rewrite history. These feeble attempts to erase the real factors behind your sacking and blame others for your demise are embarrassing.

Football clubs don't terminate coaching contracts lightly. Managements agonise over such decisions for months. History will show your team was underperforming and you'd lost the confidence of those who count. End of story.

Sure it hurts, but there's no shame in being sacked. We all get sacked. That's part of being a coach.

Remember, Ricky, two coaches had to be sacked to provide employment for you at the Roosters and Sharks.

Stuart Raper must be scratching his head at why he was removed to make way for you, given your current position on the premiership ladder. Do you ever spare a thought for him?

It's time you stop this ridiculous charade of being hard done by.

Roosters management did you a favour terminating your contract. It provided you with a perfect opportunity to start afresh at another club and save your reputation. Meanwhile, your replacement, Chris Anderson, had to come in and try to mop up the mess you left behind. Sadly, the enormity of the task cost him his health and his job.

You should also note, Ricky, that I didn't make these latest comments about your coaching in the normal course of my work with Channel Nine or my newspaper columns.

I was asked for comment by a journalist from The Daily Telegraph. This is the organisation for which you work. Perhaps you should be directing your dummy spit at that newspaper and asking why it pursued me for comment, given I have no relationship with your employer whatsoever.

The journalist who contacted me said it was about time someone questioned your performance at the Sharks. He highlighted the fact that your Sharks started this season as third favourites to win the comp but are now favoured for the wooden spoon.

He noted the Sharks scored fewer tries than any other team last season. He watched a weakened Melbourne beat the Sharks 26-0 in the preliminary final last year. Only a week later, Manly thrashed the Storm 40-0. The Sea Eagles obviously knew how to attack them. He'd witnessed your Australian team, full of the most talented players in this country, lose the World Cup final on home soil to an under-strength New Zealand.

He mentioned your purchase of four new players this season - three of them internationals - to bolster your team's attacking potency.

He noted you had released players such as Brett Kimmorley (Bulldogs) and Isaac De Gois (Knights) to make way for these purchases.

I guess we've all noticed their outstanding form for their new clubs and, in particular, what creative attacking players they've proven to be.

The journalist asked me if you should be under pressure to lose your position. I got the distinct impression your own newspaper was about to recommend your sacking. My reply was simple. "No. He can coach. He just needs some help. He's always needed help."

I've made similar comments about several young coaches over the years, but none of them reacted the way you did. Did I touch a nerve?

I'm in a position to make these comments because I know your style of coaching better than anyone.

In your time at the Roosters you received plenty of quality assistance. Certainly more than you've ever acknowledged.

Assistant coaches such as Dean Pay, John Cartwright and Ivan Cleary were tremendous.

Both Cleary and Pay won lower-grade competitions with the club. Cleary and Cartwright are now outstanding coaches at the NRL level with the Warriors and Titans respectively.

These people contributed enormously to your success and the success of the Roosters.

My comments this week merely suggested you've always relied heavily on the contributions of others and perhaps you should seek similar assistance to help the Sharks' players realise their full attacking potential. Perhaps I'm guilty of expressing the bleeding obvious.

Your emotional reactions to my rather tame comments this week speak a thousand words. Is there something you don't want people to know?

In the end, The Daily Telegraph journalist made a very compelling argument; however, I suggested the Sharks' problems could be rectified without sacking the head coach.

During your time at the Roosters I continually praised your work ethic and promoted your coaching ability to the public.

I was also instrumental in your securing coveted positions such as the NSW State of Origin and Australian coaching jobs. I made strong recommendations on your behalf.

It was unfortunate you lost the prestigious position of Australian coach due to your temper and inability to accept responsibility for your own losses; but, to be honest, this came as no surprise.

If it makes you feel any better, Ricky, you are a better coach than I ever was - but that doesn't mean very much.

You have a quality team there at the Sharks. There are also plenty of knowledgeable people around who can assist you. I expect things to turn for the better soon.

In the meantime, trust your players. Help them build confidence in their own ability. Don't read the papers.

Other than that Ricky, I have no advice for you.

Thanks for thinking of me, Ricky, but I have better things to do - LHQNews

:love:

^ I love Gus Gould. So many hate him, but he is dead right 99% of the team, and I love how everyone gets pissed off the second he opens his mouth.

Burn Ricky!

Not a big fan of the Gus-bag. Anyway.

You two :)lol:) will know. Do Roy & HG commentate the three state of origin games on Triple J? I can't remember if they do or not, though I'm pretty sure they do. Can't wait. I might even think about getting down to the Melbourne game.

Not a big fan of the Gus-bag. Anyway.

You two :)lol:) will know. Do Roy & HG commentate the three state of origin games on Triple J? I can't remember if they do or not, though I'm pretty sure they do. Can't wait. I might even think about getting down to the Melbourne game.

Yeah they do. Always a big laugh.

Last year, Roy was sick for game 1, and HG did it alone. It is common knowledge that Roy is the league man, and HG is the AFL guy. Generally when the league is on, Roy takes the elad, and HG just makes little comments on it. Flying solo, he had NO idea. Was gold

Oh wow! That would've been interesting... if not slightly boring? they play off each other.

I'll never forget two years ago when I listened... and Brett Stewart had just been named sexiest man in league. Wait, this was the granny I think. Yeah. Anyway he got absolutely flattened, and Roy & HG loved it because they paid him out the entire game and then... "well he's not the sexiest bloody man any more is he HG??!!?"

Also Willie Mason copped it ridiculously hard during an Origin game from them.

I listen to their show on Triple M every mon & fri now, 4-7, it's hilarious. They just keep going miles off track... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom