Nowww, Roger Federer is no longer number one in my books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Federer just lost to Gilles Simon in Toronto at the Rogers Cup in the second round. He had a bye in the first round. :ohmy:

Both Nadal and Djokovic are in this tournament too. Gilles is ranked 22nd and has as many victories in this season as Federer.

He was my guy even after Wimbledon but now he has to win the US Open to earn it back in my view. He played like shit too. Forehand and serve were garbage.

Depending on his performance at the US Open, I think this could be Roger's last year on tour. He may do a Bjorn Borg and not be satisfied with anything less than the number one ranking.

I don't think losing a few majors will make him call it quits just yet. Obviously, if he rebounds in the US Open, he most certainly isn't going anywhere, and even if he doesn't win it, I don't see him leaving right away. I think he'd come back for another year to see if he can win anything back, and if not, then he might considerate it.

That match was...painful to watch. Not the Roger we know and love. Perhaps he's still feeling the effects of his loss at Wimbledon?

I don't think he's going to pull a Borg.

I dunno, I hope he doesn't give up but this is the first time he has shown himself to be non-Federerlike since his domination began. I think he is devastated psychologically at the moment as this is the first time he is beatable and not just against Nadal. He looked like he was going to lose tonight. He did not demonstrate his usual confident demeanor during this match.

He has only won 2 titles out of 12 tournaments he has entered this year. I don't what is wrong with him but this isn't the Roger Federer of 2007. As GG said, it was a painful match to watch. I think he was broken at love on his serve to lose the match, just sad to see.

This is the one attribute Roger Federer has never had to display until now. The ability to handle adversity and losses in tournaments. Can he bounce back and be competitive or will he become Jim Courier and disappear albeit after a much more dominant run as the best player in the world? I hope he can get his head straight and play like the champion he is in New York.

I don't think he'll quit for a while. Why not go after the all-time majors record? He's so close, and he could go a few past Sampras' record and really leave his mark.

But regardless of the world rankings, I'd place Nadal above Federer at the moment. Nadal has like a 12-6 record lifetime against him. Nadal has the potential to chase Sampras/Federer for the majors record.

For all coaches and athletes there comes a time when inside you feel there isn't anything more to gain. When that happens the fire inside starts to go out. These days I just don't know what Roger has left to gain. It is like Justine Henin before she retired. I suspect that Roger is having those thoughts. Doubt can make you lose to anyone. I love watching him play but I sort of hope he retires gracefully at years end.

Nothing left to gain? He's never won the French. That's a starter. He's very close to breaking Sampras' record of most majors in a career AND he's just gotten his shit handed to him by some girl called "rafa" of all things.

Nothing left to gain? He's never won the French. That's a starter. He's very close to breaking Sampras' record of most majors in a career AND he's just gotten his shit handed to him by some girl called "rafa" of all things.

He is considered by many to be the greatest ever already. Part of him has to know that not having the French and the majors record wouldn't change that. Roger doesn't seem like the guy to hold on for years for the chance at those things. Those things are just stats. He already has glory and respect from fans and players alike. He doesn't have anything left to gain.

He is considered by many to be the greatest ever already. Part of him has to know that not having the French and the majors record wouldn't change that. Roger doesn't seem like the guy to hold on for years for the chance at those things. Those things are just stats. He already has glory and respect from fans and players alike. He doesn't have anything left to gain.

With your history of effeminate logic, I can not assume that will understand what he has to gain.

I can see Screwtape's POV regarding Federer. He has never come across as the type of athlete who cares about records. His public persona has always been gracious and humble. Privately, he may have desperate aspirations to hold the most GS titles but I doubt he would play for 2-3 more years just to get a record if continues to struggle as he has this season. Some athletes are comfortable with just being a winner once in a while,like Roddick or Hewitt, whereas Roger comes across to me as someone who doesn't want to be seen when he is not at his best. He may consider playing with an 80% winning percentage (43-10 this year) as losing his legacy as opposed to an opportunity of achieving records.

I doubt he will quit anytime soon...he has often talked about playing into his 30's....I think it is mainly the media that is trying to kill him off. As he has said before, he has created his own monster. If he does not win everything it is seen as a failure. Fed's dominance was unprecedented, unlike Sampras who would lose quite a bit inbetween slams, Fed dominated them as well. To maintain that level is a freak event in sport really, and may be impossible to regain, but he can still win slams. Might not dominate week in week out, but there will still be plenty of chances for him to win...even though I want Nadal to win them all now:wink:

Plus Simon has just won a pretty good tournament last week with a strong field of players, he's on a bit of a high, and this was Fed's first match since Wimbly.

man, does this mean rafa will become number 1 next week? what a terrible, terrible year it's been for roger. he made me interested in tennis again after a number of years staying away for whatever reason.

i really hope he comes back next year and fights back. classy, classy athlete. would be nice if more were like him.

Rafa won't become number one next, he needs to reach the final in Toronto and then do better in Cinncinati than he did last year, which should be easy as he lost in the first round last time there. Plus Roger won't lose his points he gained last year from reaching the final of the Roger's cup for another 2 weeks, due to the schedule being changed this year. Players remember keep points gained from tourneys for 52 weeks.

Federer lost in third round of Cincinnati after getting a bye in the first round.

Fed has now lost 3 of his last 4 matches. He barely won the one he did win and that was thanks to an injury to his opponent. We could be witnessing the fastest fall from glory in sports history if doesn't get his head cleared.

Nadal takes no.1 with a victory in Cincy. I hope Fed can show the heart of champion and return to form but it looks like anyone can beat him now and not just Nadal. If he continues to play like this, he won't make the round of 16 in either the Olympics or New York.

:yes:

I'm interested in seeing what he does at the Olympics.

Not much, if Paris and especially the devastating loss in Wimbledon are anything to go by. Nadal's been no. 1 since Wimbledon even if officialy the statistics still say otherwise, and at the level he's this year, he'll take Olympics unless some injury stops him.

This could be the beginning of the end for "greatest ever" IMO. He can't be better than he has been previous years, while Nadal can still improve (look at last few tournaments, he's even playing superbly on hard courts), at his age Federer only had 1 Wimbledon title and he has 4 Rolland Garros titles and Wimbledon. Nadal may be the one chasing all the records in the future.

I don't agree even with people predicting Nadal will be finished by the time he is 25, that is still 3 years of winning say at least 2 slams I think, that would give him another 6.

Plus I don't see Nadal getting injured anymore than any other player, and as he has stated before he is adjusting is playing style to shorten points to save energy and stamina for the second half of the season. Federer is a bit of a freak when it comes to not picking up injuries in his career.

I think people aren't concerned with Nadal's fitness, it's his knees. Stops and starts are his style of play and on hard courts, it damages the knees. Clay and grass are more forgiving on joints and cartilage. He already has a history of knee problems.

Federer has been blessed with a style of game and tennis physique, which has enabled him to play for such a remarkable amount of time without injury.

I doubt Nadal will go on the kind of run Federer did over the past 4 years. Sampras took 9 years to win his first 12 Grand Slams while Federer did it in 4 years. Yeah, yeah, people whine about quality of competition and so on but regardless I doubt anyone will dominate the Grand Slams at this level for a while.

He is prone to tendonitis...I do find it strange that the ATP favours hard courts which are known to be the most damaging to players, over grass or clay...especially grass which doesn't have a masters tournament.

tsk,tsk,tsk

If he makes it into the round of 16 in NY, I will be amazed.

He is losing matches, he isn't be being beaten, he is beating himself. He could become the David Duval of tennis if he doesn't turn this around.

It is very sad to watch him struggle like this. I hate it.

Back
Top Bottom