NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was more funny to me because there was this Flyers Twitter narrative this week that the "biggest surprise of the season" was how well Radko Gudas was playing and then he stupidly ices the puck, Hakstol almost calls a timeout then holds back, and Toronto immediately scores a last ten seconds goal that deflects in off MDZ.

After reading his op-ed type post and his story and everything, and how poorly the NHL was initially treating him, I was really happy that this played out the way it did.

It's going to be really funny when they don't get Steve Stamkos.

It's going to be even funnier when they get Steve Stamkos, only to re-learn that having the leading goal scorer doesn't fix all of your other problems.

Fuck the Kings for abandoning Richards for a misdemeanor because they wanted to get out of his contract after doing everything they could to aid and abet Slava Voynov after he choked his wife and threw her into a television.

I'm fascinated by what the Leafs are doing this year. I think this is my first real rebuild so the process has been fun so far... The next couple of years will most likely not be as much fun but I'm cautiously optimistic they are building towards something with an actual plan in place.

Here's how to deal with a rebuild:

- Pay a lot of attention to the moves they're making, it's going to be the most exciting part.
- Read respected people (beat writers or bloggers) on how the actual team is performing on the ice, at least with young players or players who will be part of the next good team.
- Only watch games occasionally, when you've got nothing else to do. Don't try to force watching more than what comes easy, you don't want to do that to yourself. Only go in person if someone offers you an extra ticket or if you can get a group of seats on the cheap for you and some friends. If it's a real rebuild, they should be readily available soon.

Your cautious optimism is well placed. Things will get better. But it'll take some time so be prepared.

They said that yesterday.

Only reason I want to keep him is his near guaranteed shootout shot.

This deadline has been a dud.

I mean I don't doubt he'll be traded, but rumors have been going since yesterday from both Fialkov and Richards, our two beat writers l for the sentinel and herald. He was supposed to be traded yesterday, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tallon is trying to drive the price up and could pull out.

Lots of waiver claims!

Re: Pirri

There was no room for him, now that we have Hudler. However, if there's room for guys like Quinton Howden, there's room for Pirri's shootout shot, which is the reason why we've won so many shootouts. Not worth a 6th round pick.

The Flyers continue to be the all-time worst shootout team and it could end up being what keeps them out of the playoffs. Fun!

That used to be us. I would venture to say the Florida Panthers might have the worst shootout record if we didn't count the past two years. Now, we have so much shootout talent we can't handle it. We got rid of Brad Boyes and Brandon Pirri, two of the NHL best shootout shooters, because Bjugstad/Barkov 1-2 combo is freaking unstoppable. There's an array of great #3 options with Smith/Trocheck/Huberdeau that are also all still ++ shooters.

It's weird being successful in hockey. I'm still not comfortable with it yet.

Buffalo has nominated Ryan O'Reilly for the Masterson trophy, I guess for perseverance in the face of driving drunk into a Tim Horton's.

Kind of hard to say, if you don't cover the team. I'm sure he did deserve it/isn't a total piece of shit. People make mistakes.

Moot nomination. Nobody preserves the game like a 44-year-old, team point leading, record breaking 60+ point all star by the name of Jaromir Jagr.

Man, the Blackhawks are really doing everything in their power to be the league's villains. Extremely easy team to root against at this point.

I would like to point out that zero Canadian teams will make the playoffs. A traditionally "southern" Washington Capitals team is about to win the president's trophy. The Tampa Bay Lightning and the Florida Panthers are neck and neck in a first place battle, and the Detroit Red Wings are poised to miss the playoffs for the first time since the 1990s. Granted, they might make it if the powerhouse Boston Bruins continue in free fall.

What fun the NHL has been this year.

Back
Top Bottom