NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm confident that the Flyers have eschewed some of that organizational incompetence based on the last two offseasons and their new coach, but it's more frustrating in the context of the current state of Philadelphia sports. Like, "Oh good, now the Phillies, Sixers, AND Flyers are all racing for the top pick."

Im a poker fan, and the "World Series of Poker" just completed this week. The broadcast was focusing on Philadelphia "Champions" of the last 50 years or so (2008 was the last, I believe) because the last 2 remaining combatants were from the Philly area. So they were lumping this WSOP championship into the list of champions....I laughed cause even I (a poker fan) would not consider the WSOP championship on the same level as the Stanley Cup (or Super Bowl or World Series, etc). Maybe I'm wrong.....is there gonna be a parade for Joe McKeehan?

Im a poker fan, and the "World Series of Poker" just completed this week. The broadcast was focusing on Philadelphia "Champions" of the last 50 years or so (2008 was the last, I believe) because the last 2 remaining combatants were from the Philly area. So they were lumping this WSOP championship into the list of champions....I laughed cause even I (a poker fan) would not consider the WSOP championship on the same level as the Stanley Cup (or Super Bowl or World Series, etc). Maybe I'm wrong.....is there gonna be a parade for Joe McKeehan?
Yes, it's:

Phillies - 2008
Sixers - 1983
Flyers - 1975
Eagles - 1960

There will be no parade for Joe, though he did go to college with several of my friends who all know him from that. They say he was a big math nerd.

Maybe Edmonton should stop playing their 1OAs right away and consider overspending to build a stopgap team for development?

Doesn't matter how talented they are. Mcdavid aside, you're tarnishing them by telling U20s "welcome to the NHL plz fix our franchise."

Ok, then, South Florida. Better?

It means something totally different, and it's for a totally different reason. In Miami, Jeffrey Loria was demanding public funds from *the city of Miami* to build a baseball venue. Because he's a cheap, greedy bastard who drives his team's fans away. The Marlins aren't necessarily financially struggling. He's a snake who pays little money and gets little+1 in return, by abusing the system that the MLB offers.

The Florida Panthers are asking Broward County (a totally different entity) to restructure the lease on the arena they reside in, because the franchise was actually bleeding money (which sort of also is a half-truth, SSE live as a whole operating at the arena still makes good money). It's a pretty fair restructuring, and it's being requested by an owner who appears to put his money where his mouth is and actually is looking to put a winning product on the ice (this is a big difference from Alan Cohen in the last decade). It's basically reversing the damage due to apathy, and saves the county from being caught on the hook for a lot more money in the future (and hopefully actually fixes the problem).

The NHL needs to abandon the ROW tiebreaker and just make it back to more total wins.

It's stupid seeing teams in the standings who have played equal game counts, but one has left the rink in defeat... yet they're tied by virtue of equal ROW.

I'm saying this as a fan of a team who probably has more OTLs and shootout losses since the institution of the shootout. But honestly I think it's bullshit. If you can't win more games than you've lost, overall, you shouldn't even be questionable for winning a tiebreaker.

535029_1527146647601905_7761786211714589553_n.jpg

It's funny that nobody in Toronto gives a single flying fuck about the Canadiens, but for some reason Montreal is obsessed with the Maple Leafs. :shrug:

And the day that Toronto is good, if that ever comes, you will rub it in I'm sure.

In other news, the Florida Panthers have scored 10 goals in their last two games. We probably scored 10 goals in 10 games during multiple stretches last season. This team isn't the worst at offense, and it's so fun to watch!

I'll say it again... the "ROW" tiebreaker is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. It's entirely hypocritical to undervalue wins in a shootout, but simultaneously value losses in OT and in the shootout.

I find it so stupid that a team like Detroit not only is in first place (despite losing more games than everyone else near them), but also holds a competitive ROW tiebreaker. That stupid stat just enables losers to be winners. OTL/SHL should just be tallied into the loss column, and the team that loses the least amount of games wins the tiebreaker.

I have experience that's fresh, less than 12 hours old!

that wasn't a collapse so much as bad luck... I'm talking going from comfortable playoff spot at the mid season mark to picking 4th overall at the draft or everybody's favourite: Giving up a 3 goal lead in 10 minutes of game 7 of the playoffs.. You know, real punch in the nuts type stuff.

Back
Top Bottom