NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alright, i guess i'll make some picks so i can laugh at how wrong i was in june:

EAST
Montreal 4-3 New York
Ottawa 2-4 Boston

Washington 4-0 Toronto
Pittsburgh 4-3 Columbus

Montreal 2-4 Ottawa
Washington 4-3 Pittsburgh

Washington 4-1 Ottawa

WEST
Chicago 4-1 Nashville
Minnesota 3-4 St. Louis

Anaheim 4-2 Calgary
Edmonton 4-3 San Jose

Chicago 1-4 St. Louis
Anaheim 4-2 Edmonton

Anaheim 4-0 St. Louis

Anaheim 4-2 Washington

alright, i guess i'll make some picks so i can laugh at how wrong i was in june:

EAST
Montreal 4-3 New York
Ottawa 2-4 Boston

Washington 4-0 Toronto
Pittsburgh 4-3 Columbus

Montreal 2-4 Ottawa
Washington 4-3 Pittsburgh

Washington 4-1 Ottawa

So you have Ottawa losing in the first round yet advancing to the ECF?

i'm happy about the leafs making the playoffs but in the sense that getting in was such a huge accomplishment on its own for a team based around star rookies.

they have negative momentum (if any) and are playing the president's trophy winning team. clearly they're going to get fucking swept.

these rookies will get playoff experience either way. the team will be even better next year and the year after. even one more win this season is gravy.

Leaft only hope is a miracle.....this may be the Caps year......

chi 5 lol
stl 7 probably not
ana 4 !!!
edm 6 maybe!
mtl 6 good for nothin
bos 7 maybe
wsh 6 maybe
pit 5 !!!

chi 6 LOL
edm 7 it could happen
mtl 4 good luck with that
wsh 7 getting nervous

edm 6 just glad I changed my mind about Chicago last second
wsh 6 reeeealll nervous

wsh 6 really really nervous

Mid-round review

If only Montreal had a young, electrifying defenceman who was known to take over playoff games in the past and could be counted on to score huge goals. :hmm:

But, seriously, the acquisition of Shea Weber shortened the Habs window considerably. If they don't do anything this year then it's all in for next season because Carey Price is a UFA after that and there's no telling what will happen.

There's nothing available on July 1st to boost their offence.

There's nothing available on the trade market that wouldn't cost them an arm or a leg to boost their offence.

There's nothing available in St-Johns..(soon Laval) to boost their offence.

They scored 7 goals in 5 games..(outside of game 2's 4 goals)

....So yeah,the Leafs will win the cuo before the Habs,and Carey will say "Adios" on July 1st 2018

Last edited:
Every division rival sought to sabotage my bracket. Bastards.

The leafs might win before the habs in like 30 years. But Edmonton will bring glory to Canada and end the curse.

Well that was fun while it lasted.

Overall the season was better than I expected, in fact I would not be surprised if there is some regression next season considering how many players had career years all at the same time.

Playoffs were just a bonus and to give Washington as much trouble as they did and not to get completely blown out or choke on a 4-1 lead in the last 10 minutes of the third period makes me happy to be a Leafs fan for the first time in a long time.

Nah. Definitely dreading any Ottawa involvement whatsoever. But Edmonton has McDavid, the new Crosbzky. Less than ideal matchup, but I imagine Nashville or St. Louis would be worse. Plus, EDM-OTT would be the battle for Canada, breaking the curse. Wouldn't be good on viewing, but tbh most teams aren't. It's the NHL.

Lol to ur post, and there is a lot of irony attached to the trade now.......but PK in Mntl this past year, surely doesn't mean the Habs are where the Preds r now......Habs outcome would be the same, no?

Lol to ur post, and there is a lot of irony attached to the trade now.......but PK in Mntl this past year, surely doesn't mean the Habs are where the Preds r now......Habs outcome would be the same, no?

No, I don't think Montreal would be where Nashville is now if Subban were still there. But, as good as Shea Weber was this year, he didn't provide what Subban has in the past during the playoffs. When the Habs needed a big goal against the Rangers, no one stepped up. Pacioretty? Didn't get the job done. Radulov scored some nice goals but in crunch time during Game 5 and 6 he was also largely silent.

Compare that to previous playoffs, particularly against the Bruins, where Subban would take over games precisely when the Habs needed him to. He'd score the big goals or dole out a crushing hit that changed the momentum. That was missing from this year's Montreal Canadiens.

And don't get me started that Subban was traded in large part because his personality rubbed management the wrong way. A personality that was adored by Montrealers and Habs fans everywhere. A personality that has been embraced by the city of Nashville and Predators team brass.

I hate sports.

"you just get the sense that the next goal could be...uhh...a big one."
- captain obvious, cbc commentator, at 1:30 remaining in the 3rd period with the score tied in game 7 of the conference finals.

Back
Top Bottom