NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would assume if they hired an inanimate carbon rod to replace Therien most people in Montreal would be very pleased with the move...

latest

crosby literally two-hand slashed a guy's finger nearly off thursday night. no penalty, no fine, no suspension, crosby has a good chuckle about injuring someone before the next faceoff.

this was one game after he speared a guy from behind in the nuts for funsies. no penalty, no fine, no suspension.

i'm starting to think he could roundhouse kick someone in the throat with his skate blade and the other guy would probably get 10 games for diving.

:tsk:

The first one is incredibly hard for a referee to see and call. Or even to review.

The nut tap on the other hand is classless and easily reviewable.

crosby clearly chopped him hard as methot immediately lost the puck and threw his hands up. the linesman would have been looking right down the line at the puck carrier as he called offside. the other linesman should have been watching the play. at least one of the referees should have been looking directly at methot as the puck carrier. it's not like it happened well behind the play or anything. it's pretty inexcusable for four highly-paid professional officials not to see such a blatant two-hand slash.

and then the guy's finger was obviously mangled and bloody. if you make a guy bleed, it's an automatic double minor. at the very least he should have automatically gotten four minutes for slashing. instead he got a good laugh out of nearly cleaving someone's finger off and putting them out for weeks.

okay, well in game officials miss calls all the time that the league player safety department then rectifies with fines or suspensions, for hits to the head that don't get called properly on the ice, or things that happen behind the play or whatever. but nope, he's untouchable.

he's one of the dirtiest players in the NHL and he gets away with all sorts of cheap shots because he knows he can. bettman will never do anything that might have the parents think anything less of little bobby's hero and purchasing licensed merchandise by the truckload. if anyone says anything about it he just whines about someone else doing it to him first like a 6 year old who got in a slap fight with his little brother. i'd love to see the replay of the last time someone skated up behind you and surprise-speared you in the ball sack for no reason, sid.

Last edited:
I'm not defending him. I'm just saying that it's really easy to miss if you're not looking for it. And if you are looking for it, it still doesn't look as brutal as it actually was. From a league review perspective, it's hard to say Crosby deserved anything more than a double minor -- he almost obliviously skates away unaware of what he's just done. It's a dirty play, but how you can understand intent to injure there is beyond me.

The nut tap was from behind on a player who was nowhere near the puck, in a place where his stick absolutely has no use or necessity.

i know you aren't defending any of his actions. having been a minor-level hockey referee myself for several years, i definitely disagree that the slash is easy for pro-level officials to miss, provided they're all in their proper positions and watching what they're supposed to be watching. after all, the guy was carrying the puck into the offensive zone, by the book he should have at least two pairs of eyes on him at that moment. but you have a good point on the intent to injure thing when it relates to discipline after the fact. although to my knowledge don't they suspend guys for accidental head shots that injure, irrespective of intent?

i'm shocked that there wasn't a penalty on the ice for leaving a guy with his fingertip hanging off by the skin though. even if they didn't think the initial slash was worth a penalty, it becomes automatic once blood is drawn. :shrug:

Last edited:
By "easy to miss" I merely mean if a referee blinked, he could have missed it. There was no body contact. If they made a mistake, it isn't like there was something for the linesmen or official opposite to see.

I mean, Crosby derailed Giroux's prime by slashing his wrists into oblivion for six straight games in 2012 and forcing him to get double surgery. His touch never fully recovered.

Allright,let's do this

It's post-season time!

Eastern 1/4 finals:

Wash-Tor= Wash in 5
Habs-N.Y.=N.Y in 6
Pitts-Columbus=Pitts in 7
Bos-Ott=Bos in 6

Western 1/4 finals

Chi-Nash=Chi in 5
Anah-Calgary=Anah in 7
Minn-St-L=St-L in 6
Edm-San jose=Edm in 6

i'm happy about the leafs making the playoffs but in the sense that getting in was such a huge accomplishment on its own for a team based around star rookies.

they have negative momentum (if any) and are playing the president's trophy winning team. clearly they're going to get fucking swept.

these rookies will get playoff experience either way. the team will be even better next year and the year after. even one more win this season is gravy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom