NHL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lifelong Bruins fan and hockey fan -- and why didn't I pay too much attention to this amazing year and being "the best team" ever is because it's fucking hockey and NBA -- seeding almost means nothing the past 15-20 years.

Bruins didn't even play bad, it was just tons of scoring on both sides... insane.

I hate losing to Florida in any way, but I don't hate the team itself or it's fans.

But I will now cheer for Toronto to break 50 plus years of not winning the cup.

Lifelong Bruins fan

(...)

But I will now cheer for Toronto

21bfda556475546e784eaa78e328645dc64c8439.gif

That was the biggest choke from a Boston based team since the 86 Red Sox, at least in my lifetime. I doubt much work got done in New England today.

At least the 07 Patriots were in the Super Bowl. Not getting past the first round is just unfathomable.

Last edited:
Bruins coach we fired is going to stanley cup finals vs the team that beat us in 1st round. Fuck....

Hey Pete DeBoer might be available?

When Florida fired him in 2011, he went to the cup finals the following year coaching the Devils. When the Devils fired him in 2015, he went to the cup finals in 2016 coaching the Sharks. When the Sharks fired him in 2020 after losing the conference finals the year prior, he was immediately scooped up by Vegas and went to the conference finals that year and the year following. When Vegas fired him last year, he went to the conference finals this year only to lose to his team from last year.

You’ve got to wonder why so many teams fire him if he’s a proven the ability to go deep into the playoffs. 15 seasons, 7 advancements to the second round, 6 of which made it to the conference finals, 2 of which made it to the cup. In total, his 7 playoffs have only once ended in a team that didn’t make or win the Stanley Cup.

So basically he must be an asshole?

It's gotta sting right now but I hopefully you genuinely enjoyed the run.

Absolutely. Didn’t lose sight for one minute of the fact that Pittsburgh literally lost to the worst team in the league in the finals week of play to eliminate themselves. The mentality was always “we aren’t even supposed to be here so live it up.”

Tough conclusion for both your teams after incredible runs to finals as 8 seeds.

A lot to be proud of, but certainly not the finish you'd like.

For sure. The Heat have won three championships though, and the first of which I got the whole magical experience as a kid. I could stomach that loss a lot easier. The Panthers were the beginning of sports for me around 2000 (followed by the Marlins Andy then the Heat; dolphins I don’t really care about all that much). Hockey is my favorite sport hands down. I was too young to experience their cup run in 96, but that was the legend we were told while we suffered for 20 years and I sat through the whole thing. This whole experience has definitely made me feel like a kid again.

Now that sport is over, I care about ratings. This is dumb. Talk about disinformation... this is like the first time since I've been alive that the Stanley Cup has been exclusively on cable... here's what the picture looks like when you mix in every NBCSN-exclusive Stanley Cup Finals game:

2013 G3 - 4.0m
2015 G3 - 3.9m
2015 G4 - 3.9m
2018 G2 - 3.6m
2014 G4 - 3.4m
2018 G3 - 3.4m
2019 G2 - 3.4m
2017 G2 - 3.2m
2017 G3 - 3.0m
2019 G3 - 2.9m
2014 G3 - 2.9m
2023 G2 - 2.8m
2016 G3 - 2.8m
2023 G5 - 2.7m
2023 G1 - 2.6m
2023 G4 - 2.6m
2016 G2 - 2.5m
2023 G3 - 2.4m
2012 G4 - 2.1m
2012 G3 - 1.7m
2021 G1 - 1.6m
2021 G2 - 1.6m
2020 G2 - 1.1m
2020 G3 - 1.1m

That's basically the lower end of average but a local maxima with respect to the last 4 years. coincidence...?

240377-blank-355.png

305801-blank-355.png

And note, 2022 in the NHL was on national / ABC.

ratings also don't technically matter.

the league gets paid no matter what the ratings are.

obviously higher ratings = higher advertising dollars for the network, which will equate to larger demand for live programming when TV deals are up and all... but, yea - sports is the last frontier in live broadcast. dollar amounts for TV deals continue to go up even though ratings continue to go down thanks to cord cutting, because the ratings are still significantly higher than normal broadcast TV.

Back
Top Bottom