NHL 2014-2015 Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate Chicago, but it's a respectful hate. I really miss the great Wings - Hawks rivalry. It's a real shame that they only play rarely now.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, it's a shame that was lost. The 2012-2013 divisional round was incredible. On the plus side, it's now possible for Chicago and Detroit to go at it for the highest possible stakes in an original 6 classic (LuckyNumber7's nightmare).

The 2012-2013 divisional round was incredible.

Still not over that one. Up 3-1.....unbelievable. It especially hurt because one of my professors was a die hard Hawks fan and we would talk trash. After they beat us, he wore his Blackhawks jersey, was silent the entire class and let me suffer in my own misery. He was a sick bastard.
Anyways, that series is one of the reasons that we really won't miss Babcock. He was a choker in crunch time.
But a Wings-Hawks finals would be unbelievable for sure. The intensity would be incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

After completely shutting out media reports, I'm finally looking over some thoughts from Lightning fans, reading their injury reports, etc. and we definitely broke that team on a number of levels. 2/3rds of the Triplets line was banged up, Bishop had a torn groin...Stamkos sounded downright defeated in his press comments this week. Fans were really turning on the guy. I have a ton of respect for Bishop's performance, which was grade A despite his injury. I think this could have been an even better series than Anaheim, but they just ran out of luck at the wrong time. The vast majority of their scoring came from the top line and it wasn't healthy. Nonetheless, that's going to be a great team for years to come as they get older and deeper.

In the end, our defense locked down their offense, which I don't think anyone could have predicted after Rozsival's injury. I certainly expected a number of breakout 5-3, 6-4 type games, especially after Bishop's injury. It seemed inevitable, but hey, that's why Duncan Keith won the Conn Smythe. He put this team on his back. The guy logged something like 75+ minutes more than anyone else in the playoffs. Barring injury, I picture him remaining relevant for us at Hossa's age.

Also, a fascinating phenomenon: fans always think commentators (and, of course, refs) hate their team. It's great. Blackhawks and Lightning fans had completely opposite opinions on NBC's "allegiance." This isn't new information, but it was fun to see that reaffirmed.

Last edited:
After completely shutting out media reports, I'm finally looking over some thoughts from Lightning fans, reading their injury reports, etc. and we definitely broke that team on a number of levels. 2/3rds of the Triplets line was banged up, Bishop had a torn groin...Stamkos sounded downright defeated in his press comments this week. Fans were really turning on the guy. I have a ton of respect for Bishop's performance, which was grade A despite his injury. I think this could have been an even better series than Anaheim, but they just ran out of luck at the wrong time. The vast majority of their scoring came from the top line and it wasn't healthy. Nonetheless, that's going to be a great team for years to come as they get older and deeper.

In the end, our defense locked down their offense, which I don't think anyone could have predicted after Rozsival's injury. I certainly expected a number of breakout 5-3, 6-4 type games, especially after Bishop's injury. It seemed inevitable, but hey, that's why Duncan Keith won the Conn Smythe. He put this team on his back. The guy logged something like 75+ minutes more than anyone else in the playoffs. Barring injury, I picture him remaining relevant for us at Hossa's age.

Also, a fascinating phenomenon: fans always think commentators (and, of course, refs) hate their team. It's great. Blackhawks and Lightning fans had completely opposite opinions on NBC's "allegiance." This isn't new information, but it was fun to see that reaffirmed.
Yeah, Tampa's going to be good for a while. They are a really well run organization with a lot of talented youth.

From an outsider's perspective, I saw a neutral/slightly Chicago biased crew. They definitely treated Tampa like the underdog as they focused more on historical cup appearance so as if to say this was the 03-04 team finally back... But at the same time I can't particularly say it felt like they were necessarily leaning one way or another.

Man, the Blackhawks experience is sure as hell different than when I saw them before they were a winning team. United Center used to be dead (except for Hawks/Wings games). Now the fans mob the home and away games. Ticket prices too. I used to be able to get glass seats for $80 a pop. I haven't been able to afford tickets for years!

Of course, many are bandwagon fans who probably don't even bother watching the Hawks until the conference finals because Chicago is still very much a basketball and football town, which is a depressing thought because the players in those sports lack the kind of heart and toughness you see in hockey.

Watching this young team morph into a championship veteran team has been an incredible trip. This season was also incredible for many reasons. Over the 105 games I watched, I watched the Blackhawks play up and down through a fierce Central division, battle through the lost of Clint Reif and Steve Montador, be doubted by their own fans and media and sometimes themselves. Nashville dominated many NHL teams but yet they went in the first round. Minnesota turned everything around and became the most feared team in the League, but yet got swept by the Hawks. Anaheim came out strong and confident, but yet the Blackhawks defense managed impossible minutes and ended up even wearing out the Ducks. And the Hawks playoff experience just took over in the last three games of the Finals.

An amazing dynamic across the season and playoffs:

- Versteeg and Richards transform from turnover-frenzy zombies into playoff powerhouses

- Kane recovers from a broken collar bone in miraculous time

- Vermette and Teivo breakout in the Finals

- The unlikely story of Scott Darling

- The dominance of 4th line Kruger, Shaw, and Desjardins - who surprised everyone with his poise, toughness, and aptitude in a Blackhawks uniform

- The effective use of Rockford players rotating through the 3rd defensive line

- Crawford improving overall throughout the playoffs - despite the constant taunting from rival fans (who can't come with their own individual chants)

However, I'm so sick of hearing Eddie Olcyzk. "Here's a lesson for all you young hockey players out there."

Great closure to a great season.

It basically comes down to not understanding the game well enough. If anything, the Blackhawks have been far less penalized than their rivals, but even that's not due to a bias. Blackhawks are very well disciplined. Except for Carcillo. Q sends him out there just to pick fights.

From an outsider's perspective, I saw a neutral/slightly Chicago biased crew. They definitely treated Tampa like the underdog as they focused more on historical cup appearance so as if to say this was the 03-04 team finally back... But at the same time I can't particularly say it felt like they were necessarily leaning one way or another.

What I heard in this series didn't bother me. NBC was, however, extremely kind to the big, bad Ducks. My favorite moment was after game 2, when our lengthy OT win was essentially referred to as a last stand that could sink the team. :lol: I'm pessimistic as it gets but still wouldn't jump to a conclusion like that after a win.

It basically comes down to not understanding the game well enough. If anything, the Blackhawks have been far less penalized than their rivals, but even that's not due to a bias. Blackhawks are very well disciplined. Except for Carcillo. Q sends him out there just to pick fights.

We played a clean game. I remember a trip by Toews and a borderline goalie interference that didn't get called, but I really think they just wanted to let the teams play last night. The one exception was the hooking call on Desjardins, which looked a lot like an embellishment to me. At best, the guy just lost his footing, but it had little to do with Desjardins.

Last edited:
We played a clean game. I remember a trip by Toews and a borderline goalie interference that didn't get called, but I really think they just wanted to let the teams play last night. The one exception was the hooking call on Desjardins, which looked a lot like an embellishment to me. At best, the guy just lost his footing, but it had little to do with Desjardins.

Oh, it brought me back to the Winter Classic where they called a hooking in the final two minutes on Toews when it was just a tap.

Like seriously? You call THAT above everything else?

"The Blackhawks provide a sharp contrast to the city’s beloved Bears, who will play in the Super Bowl for the first time in 21 years today."

:lol:

Vegas in 2017-18, then Quebec in 2018-19, then Seattle in 2020-2021. Realignment the same year (Nashville to the East).

Bet on it. :wink:

Last edited:
Im having a hard time seeing what Boston's plan is here... Unless its a rebuild but still that doesn't really explain the Hamilton trade. Wouldn't you want to build around that?

They were close to a deal with Edmonton for three picks in roughly the same area as Calgary, but were insistent on the Oilers throwing in Darnell Nurse, their No. 1 defence product. Edmonton rightly balked, so they then traded with Calgary for...3 picks? OK.

Back
Top Bottom