NHL 2008-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be my first season of watching hockey. :up:

Any teams or players I should watch for?

Yes. The Montreal Canadiens. Take a good look at my avatar and signature. Study them. Absorb their greatness. Learn from them. Become one with them. And, most importantly, love them. Then, and only then, can you begin to watch hockey.

As for players, there's Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh and the entire Detroit Red Wings team. Steven Stamkos, a highly touted rookie, will light it up in Tampa Bay. The duo of Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews from the Chicago Blackhawks that I mentioned previously.

And there's Alexander Ovechkin in Washington. He's amazing; a veritable human highlight reel. :up:

I just read that Sugden got cut from the Isles (which is really sad when you consider it's he ISLANDERS that cut him). I was hoping he'd make the team. Aside from being an interesting fella, he absolutely pummeled Salvador at the pre-season game I went to last week. Looks like they'll go with Fritz as "Enforcer"- one doofy looking sumbitch.

So hockey starts today. I'd be more excited if my team wasn't universally expected to finish dead last. It's like even if they prove everyone wrong and finish 5th from worst....um...yay? We showed you... :sigh:

I'm still excited, but it does dampen things a bit when you know the Islanders will not even be a playoff team....but, hopefully, we make strides and the future starts to look brighter.....

Yeah, I am hoping they at least are a scrappy bunch of kids that make the game fun. I won't mind the losses so much if they lose like, 9-7 every night. But I know it's going to be like 9-1, and that's the part that bugs me. I am curious though. I don't think I've ever seen a team come up from such a youth movement - well Pittsburgh is doing it and they're fun to watch. But we don't have a crosby / malkin / staal.

Yeah, I am hoping they at least are a scrappy bunch of kids that make the game fun. I won't mind the losses so much if they lose like, 9-7 every night. But I know it's going to be like 9-1, and that's the part that bugs me. I am curious though. I don't think I've ever seen a team come up from such a youth movement - well Pittsburgh is doing it and they're fun to watch. But we don't have a crosby / malkin / staal.

You'd like to think that goaltending alone will keep them in a few games....we'll see.....and, while Okposo is hopefully the real deal, that's just one budding star, not three......

Edmonton has been rebuilding for the last couple of seasons... same with Washington and Chicago, all of them have a lot of younger players.

That's true. I like Washington. I haven't seen Edmonton or Chicago play too much. I was under the impression that they sucked though.

I think Snow is going to be making some trades at the deadline for more youth. Send some vets as a rental for the playoffs or something.

As for goaltending....DP has moments of brilliance, no doubt, but he needs to calm the fuck down and play some hockey. He says he idolizes Brodeur - but he plays NOTHING like brodeur.

That's true. I like Washington. I haven't seen Edmonton or Chicago play too much. I was under the impression that they sucked though.

I think Snow is going to be making some trades at the deadline for more youth. Send some vets as a rental for the playoffs or something.

Chicago will be vastly improved this year. Watch out for them.

Also, snowbunny is the GM of the Islanders??? :scratch:

Did they have the rookie of the year last year? Are they the team that doesn't show games on TV?

If she is - why the fuck am I still paying for those shitty season tickets? WTF? :angry:

Yes. They have Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith. Now they have Cristobal Huet and Brian Campbell, and if Martin Havlat can stay healthy, watch out for them!

Under the ownership of the late Bill Wirtz, they didn't show any home games on TV because he believed that would affect attendance. This policy, among others, alienated fans and actually drove them away.

Since he passed away last year, his son Rocky has taken over and they've been trying to reconcile with the fans. They've even brought back Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita as ambassadors after years of having nothing to do with the team during the Bill Wirtz years.

Yes. Under the ownership of the late Bill Wirtz, they didn't show any home games on TV because he believed that would affect attendance. This policy, among others, alienated fans and actually drove them away.

Since he passed away last year, his son Rocky has taken over and they've been trying to reconcile with the fans. They've even brought back Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita as ambassadors after years of having nothing to do with the team during the Bill Wirtz years.

The Blackhawks were fun to watch last season, and should be even more so this year......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom