NHL 2008-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely horrible call at the end of the Detroit game that may have cost them the game, and perhaps the series. Atrocious. I mean, why is video replay there in the first place?

Not applicable because once they blow the whistle it's dead. With the use of replay I'd like to see the refs instructed to hold off a bit before blowing a play dead.

Wow, just when you thought Sid the Kid couldn't be a bigger whiner, they kept throwing hats on the ice.

I can't stand Anaheim, but goddamn they step it up in the playoffs. Scott Neidermeyer really is an amazing defenseman. I've been watching him, and man, that guy controls the rink when he's out there. I always thought Lidstrom was better, but not anymore.

When people say "Southern Ontario", what does that mean? Isn't Toronto Southern Ontario? Where do they want to put the Coyotes?

Yeah, that is all over the news here. Toronto could potentially support another team but I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Hamilton, if they go. The NHL brass - Bettman in particular - hates Jim Basille and they tend to shoot him down every time he tries to pull something like this.

Also, I despise the Ducks as well - Chris Pronger bothers me the most. I think it's because he has a small head, he looks like a little kid with an oversized helmet on...

Chris Pronger bothers me the most. I think it's because he has a small head, he looks like a little kid with an oversized helmet on...

He also has really small feet for a guy his size, they're smaller than mine easily, like 8 or 9 (shoe size, not skate).

When Chris first came up he looked eerily like Doogie Howser. He doesn't anymore (IMO) but he did back then.

Wouldn't Bettman want to avoid a team moving to Canada from the US south as that would show his experiment down there isn't going as well as he thinks?

Another team in southern Ontario is a no-brainer. This is probably the centre of the ice hockey universe. It makes sense to me.

..........or Quebec would be great obviously.

Thank you. :D

lol, don't listen to him, anyone remember the Nordiques? :wink:

I actually watched a show last night on Radio-Canada (the French CBC) that chronicled the birth and death of the Quebec Nordiques, but focused on the intense rivalry that existed between them and the Montreal Canadiens. Games between these teams would always be such bitter encounters. It was good for hockey.

Glad to see the Canucks play well last night. I was surprised that Chicago was as sloppy as they were, especially since they were in front of their home crowd. Oh well, doesn't bother me as long as the Canucks are winning! :wink:

The only frustrating thing for me is that there's going to be a game on Saturday night, and I won't be able to watch, as I'll be in the States at a bachelorette party. I have people lined up to text me the scores, but it's not the same, especially if the Canucks win the series that night.

kind of like Toronto/Ottawa? :yawn:

Other than Quebec City, is there another city in Quebec that you think could support an NHL franchise?

No. Maybe Laval, which is the province's second-largest city (500,000 people) but it's actually more of a suburb of Montreal than anything else.

I'd support a team in Quebec and/or Winnipeg. Sure Bettman will have to admit some of his ill-conceived southern expansion was a bust, but he can also show that he's able to admit that he was wrong in certain cases. But not all teams in the Sun Belt are floundering. The Dallas Stars have a decent fan base (and Impy, NHL 09 is great!), the Ducks, Sharks, and even the Hurricanes now have a rabid following from a group of fans.

And I'd love to see a team in Southern Ontario if for no other reason than I'd want them to win a Cup before the Leafs. Now that would be all kinds of awesome!

"Breakfast schmreakfast! Look at the score for God's sake! It's only the middle of the second and I'm winning 12-2! Breakfasts come and go Renee. But Hartford? The Whale? They beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime."

As much as I'd like another Canadian team, I can't help thinking of Wayne in all of this...he must be sad. :sad:

Why, because he'd be leaving sunny Arizona? If that was the only thing I'd be sad as well. But he has other things to consider.

First, were he to return to his home region as coach he'd be the team's number one attraction.

Also, Balsillie reportedly offered Gretzky a 10-15 per cent stake in the team should it relocate to southern Ontarion. He also said that any new arena would bear his father's name.

He's not an idiot. Why stay in Phoenix losing millions of dollars when you can go to a more revenue-friendly city?

Why, because he'd be leaving sunny Arizona? If that was the only thing I'd be sad as well. But he has other things to consider.

First, were he to return to his home region as coach he'd be the team's number one attraction.

Also, Balsillie reportedly offered Gretzky a 10-15 per cent stake in the team should it relocate to southern Ontarion. He also said that any new arena would bear his father's name.

He's not an idiot. Why stay in Phoenix losing millions of dollars when you can go to a more revenue-friendly city?

Good points. :up: I wonder if he really will consider this? Somehow, I'm doubting the possibility, with the pressures you mention, plus family considerations.

Habs/Nordiques rivalry was killer, made Sox/Yanks look like a tea party.

I'm not sure Gretzky would be keen on moving to Hamilton though, he has something very rare in Arizona - relative anonymity. Can you imagine how crazy his life would be if he moved to Hamilton? He clearly did not like the spotlight on him during the Olympics...

PITTSBURGH - Police say they've traced an Internet death threat made against Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin to a 17-year-old boy.

Pittsburgh police say the boy lives in Chambersburg, which is east-southeast of Pittsburgh. State police have talked to the boy, but no charges were immediately filed.

The boy's name wasn't released because he's a juvenile.

The posting on a hockey message board read: "I'm killing Ovechkin. I'll go to jail. I don't care anymore."

The Capitals and Penguins play Game 4 in Pittsburgh on Friday night. The series continues in Washington with Game 5 on Saturday night.

Police trace Ovechkin death threat to teenage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom