NHL 2008-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I'm just a pessimist when it comes to sports. Rooting for Philly teams for a few years has done that to me, and I guess some of it's still there :lol:

Montreal is still screwed though ;)

See, now THAT was a hockey game. Need to win again though, and steal a game in Pittsburgh. Biron is going to have to come up big one of these games...

6a00d83451af4b69e201156f424ff6970c-pi

Well, that sucked. More galling since Fleury, like Crosby (and Lemieux before them) came via the suck on purpose to land a high draft pick strategy. Ugh, I'm in hell.

Serious question, has there ever been a more disliked/disrespected superstar in the NHL than Sid the Kid? I guess it depends on how you view Crosby re: stardom, but he's pretty widely considered to be in the top 2 with Ovechkin, at least...and it seems like nobody likes him much outside Pitt. That's never been the case for Mario, or Gretzky...I don't recall "Gretzky sucks" chants (well maybe in Calgary I suppose).

Well, that sucked. More galling since Fleury, like Crosby (and Lemieux before them) came via the suck on purpose to land a high draft pick strategy. Ugh, I'm in hell.

Serious question, has there ever been a more disliked/disrespected superstar in the NHL than Sid the Kid? I guess it depends on how you view Crosby re: stardom, but he's pretty widely considered to be in the top 2 with Ovechkin, at least...and it seems like nobody likes him much outside Pitt. That's never been the case for Mario, or Gretzky...I don't recall "Gretzky sucks" chants (well maybe in Calgary I suppose).

Come to Halifax. The kid is treated like a fucking god here and it makes me want to jump off the bridge. The entrance to the "town" of Cole Harbour (the glorified neighbourhood where Sid lived for a few years) has a sign the size of a billboard on Cole Harbour Road saying:

Welcome to Cole Harbour
HOME OF SIDNEY CROSBY #87

Never mind the fact that Sid only actually lived in Cole Harbour between the ages of 6 and 12, or the fact that Joe DiPenta who actually won a Stanley Cup with the Ducks a couple years back was born there, played all of his minor hockey there, and played junior hockey for the Halifax team. The guy even brought the Cup for a parade down Cole Harbour Road and organized a massive pick up tournament to "win" the Stanley Cup for the kids who live in the area (he bought brand new sticks for all of them too). But no, Sidney Crosby, lord of the cheap shot and a proven coward who isn't even close to being the best player in hockey right now (Ovechkin and Malkin are the Top 2, without a doubt. Crosby MIGHT make the top 5) gets all the honours. :doh:

wow Montreal is folding like a cheap lawn chair, happy 100th season :happy:

For the Habs fans out there, I can see a big change in the organization if they bow out in the first round. Do you think Gainey is on his way out as well?

This will be a huge mess. They have more than 10 unrestricted free agents and since Gainey has a 'no contract negotiations during the season' policy, that means he'll be very busy from the end of the playoffs until July 1. I can see him leaving after that date, as I don't think he'll leave the team hanging with so many important decisions to make.

Then there's the issue of who will be the next coach. When will that decision be made - before or after the draft that's held in Montreal? And who will make it - Gainey or someone else?

This season's subpar results, I believe, will force the team to make a big splash at the draft. Trade for one of the top two picks? Maybe trade for an established superstar like Lecavalier? Who knows, but something big will be done to ATTEMPT to appease the masses.

This season's subpar results, I believe, will force the team to make a big splash at the draft. Trade for one of the top two picks? Maybe trade for an established superstar like Lecavalier? Who knows, but something big will be done to ATTEMPT to appease the masses.

They could sign Lecavalier, Crosby, Ovechkin, Niedermayer, Chara, and Luongo this offseason and those fans STILL wouldn't be happy.

I guess I shouldn't have worried. The Bruins absolutely dominated this series. I'm liking their chances now.

Until they face a team with shooters - seriously, did Tim Thomas make even one glove save?
(Or maybe he didn't need to against Montreal :reject: )

But yes, the better team won, as much as it pains me to say it.

Okay, now I can root for my birthcity:

GO CANUCKS!!! :dance:

The Habs are going to be cellar dwellers in the East for years. This team has absolutely imploded, on the scale of what happened to the Senators in 2008, except with the added insult of half the team breaking for free agency this summer.

Oh, and Carey Price is terrible and should never be a starter again for any team.

I'm glad the two remaining Canadian teams are not only teams that I can actually root for (I can't bring myself to cheer for any of the Eastern teams), but teams that I actually like and stand a reasonable shot at doing well, although if Anaheim holds off the Sharks (and barring a miracle for the Blue Jackets), it's going to be a Vancouver-Calgary series in round 2. Either way, I haven't felt this good about the chances of the Cup coming back to Canada in a very long time :hyper:

I'm 100% behind Vancouver coming out of the west, if not Vancouver then Calgary.

As for the East, if the Rangers hang on and the stinkin' Pens finish my team off I have no idea who to root for in the Canes/Pens series. Probably a neverending overtime, or the apocalypse. Gun to my head, I guess I'd root for the Pens but feel really dirty about it.

Until they face a team with shooters - seriously, did Tim Thomas make even one glove save?
(Or maybe he didn't need to against Montreal :reject: )

Haven't you ever seen Thomas play before? Guy flops around like a dying fish...

And yeah, that was painful to watch, even for me - it was like watching a Leaf game only I think our fans are nicer (or have lower expectations) :wink:

As for the East, if the Rangers hang on and the stinkin' Pens finish my team off I have no idea who to root for in the Canes/Pens series. Probably a neverending overtime, or the apocalypse. Gun to my head, I guess I'd root for the Pens but feel really dirty about it.

Well the CAR-NJ series is tied 2-2 so you're kinda getting a little ahead of yourself. No need to go out and build a bomb shelter just yet :wink:

Well the CAR-NJ series is tied 2-2 so you're kinda getting a little ahead of yourself. No need to go out and build a bomb shelter just yet :wink:

Very true...I just totally flaked out there and forgot all about the very-much-alive Devils. Oops.

Well, that was harsh. :sad:

Like I said earlier, this team will look radically different next season. Will they make a quick turnaround like Boston when they had only 8 players signed three years ago, or will they become bottom dwellers for the forseeable future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom