NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The trade of Monica Lewinsky's most famous quote was kind of surprising.

The trade of Ty Montgomery was not. (I assume Wroggers demanded that one)

giphy.gif

The trade of Monica Lewinsky's most famous quote was kind of surprising.

The trade of Ty Montgomery was not. (I assume Wroggers demanded that one)
I am glad we got anything for Montgomery.

I'm just completely at a loss about this terrible deal to the Skins.

Mikal, what are you talking about? lmao.

Is this like your go-to way of coping with loss? I feel like you said something similar when Sam Shields was traded.

Mikal, what are you talking about? lmao.

Is this like your go-to way of coping with loss? I feel like you said something similar when Sam Shields was traded.

Go watch some film of him. There’s a great example of how great he is when he tried to tackle Gurley last Sunday. He’s been slower than every other player and picking up the new defense this year. He’s been a liability and coverage for the last three years. Doesn’t get along with teammates. Good riddance.

lol missing a tackle on todd gurley means you suck. so like 90% of the defensive players in the league not on the rams must suck then.

lol missing a tackle on todd gurley means you suck. so like 90% of the defensive players in the league not on the rams must suck then.

One of many examples my friend. I’ve watched enough to know how bad he’s been for us recently.

Also, less of a sexy argument, but Haha wasn’t going to be resigned and a 4th is the best we would have gotten as a compensation pick. But it would have been in 2020. This pick that we got in the trade is a 2019 pick. Helps the packers sooner.

Ha Ha helps the Packers now while he's still on the team in a division that's still pretty wide open.

In terms of actual on-field experience, the Packers aren't exactly deep in the secondary either. Lots of interesting prospects for the future, but losing HaHa 100% does not help their passing defense. Not even close.

I think Guty knows this Packers team is not built to win it all this year. Tramon is stepping in at Safety, something he has experience with and may actually be an upgrade at the position. The play of Alexander and King allow this move.

Next year looks good. They’ll be about 40 mil under the cap with not a lot of players to resign. And 2 1st rd draft picks. It’s not a rebuild but a reset of sorts. Haha wasn’t a good player, he wasn’t coming back either so he basically did nothing to either help the Packers win now or later.

OK, but again, we're talking about a 25 year old who, whether *you* happen to agree or not, is considered at the top of the game in his position and we traded him for a 4th round pick, while Golden Tate, who is 30 goes for a third-round pick. Come on, it's a BAD trade.

Ha Ha was worth a 3rd IMO because you're not likely to replace his production with a 4th or worse. It's certainly possible, but the odds aren't in your favor. It was a very good deal for the Skins, especially in the thick of the playoff hunt.

On the other hand, I'm sure the Packers got what they wanted out of the deal. They aren't the immediate winners by any stretch and their secondary is about to get schooled by the Pats on Sunday night (though that likely would have happened regardless), but if they think the season is a lost cause, it hardly matters and they get their pick early.

Last edited:
I think that's what I dislike about it so much. It's a white flag on the season, and I find that premature. Oh well, I mean, obviously if we kept him, did nothing, and then let him go for a comp pick in 2020 (if we aren't active in free agency), I suppose I would've been fairly disappointed by that.

But getting that white flag halfway through the season when we're still in the hunt is just frustrating in a year of football that's been very frustrating for me already (both NFL and NCAA).

OK, but again, we're talking about a 25 year old who, whether *you* happen to agree or not, is considered at the top of the game in his position and we traded him for a 4th round pick, while Golden Tate, who is 30 goes for a third-round pick. Come on, it's a BAD trade.

I guess I’m not sure who considers him top at his position. Here’s a local article:

Going to the Pro Bowl after the 2016 season might have been the worst thing to happen for Ha Ha Clinton-Dix’s football career.

One of the great mysteries of the 2017 and ’18 Green Bay Packers is what happened with Clinton-Dix. He went from the verge of stardom to an underperforming, discontented player the Packers had no qualms trading to Washington this week for a fourth-round draft pick.

At age 25, Clinlton-Dix should have be hitting his peak as an NFL safety, yet he has regressed to the point where the Packers considered the former first-round draft pick part of the problem, not part of the solution, to their defensive issues.

And much of it traces back to Clinton-Dix’s Pro Bowl two years ago. He came away from that honor thinking he was a great player entitled to a huge contract. His work ethic and attention to detail suffered, and his quest to make big plays prevailed at the expense of doing his job.

Anyone who has watched the Packers regularly the last 1½ years has witnessed his incredibly uneven play. Though he intercepted six passes going back to 2017, he also gave up far too many plays by gambling in coverage and missing tackles as the last line of defense.

We’ll have to see how Clinton-Dix’s career goes from here. Maybe this will be the jolt he needed to get back on track and make the Packers regret the deal. But based on what we know to date, Brian Gutekunst, the team’s general manager, did well to get a fourth-round draft pick for him.

“He thought he was good enough that he didn’t have to study as much as a rookie (does),” a team source said of Clinton-Dix’s mindset the last two seasons. “He’s guessing (in pass coverage). He’s thinking that’s how you get paid.”

The Clinton-Dix trade this week brings to mind the Packers’ release of guard Josh Sitton just before the start of the 2016 season. Like Sitton's, Clinton-Dix’s play had declined. Like Sitton, he felt deserving of a lucrative contract extension but was rebuffed by the team. And like Sitton, his indignation carried over to the locker room, where he groused to teammates about not being rewarded with a new deal.

NFL teams don’t like unhappy veterans influencing ascending young players, especially if that veteran isn’t a star. So first with Sitton and now Clinton-Dix, the Packers very suddenly parted ways. They never missed Sitton. We’ll see in the second half of this season whether the same is true with Clinton-Dix.

At first blush, it’s hard to see why Clinton-Dix thought he was in line to become one of the highest-paid safeties in the league, which sources said he had in fact told teammates. He was on track for that kind of deal in ’16, which was his third season in the league. But after the drop-off in his play in 2017 the Packers would have been crazy to pay him big. This season has only confirmed their decision.

But it’s probably worth remembering Clinton-Dix’s football background on this point.

Right, these are local articles written to find positives following a trade that many in the media saw as a salary cap dump and reclamation in an iffy year for the team. "Gave up far too many plays" is vague and unsubstantiated and only relates to 16 games of last year (obviously there wasn't room in here for film, but this doesn't tell me much). Pro Football Focus, an analytics firm that takes apart each individual play and its possible outcomes, ranks him top 3 at the position in 2018.

But that's just one metric. Just like 2017 is only one season.

Last edited:
Lol I bet you didn’t think he was all that good until maybe...Tuesday? [emoji6]

Maybe he’ll do well with his fresh start. But I’m glad he’s gone and and it made sense to get what they could. The only thing I wish is that we would have shipped him to Dallas for 5 1st round picks. [emoji23]

Ha Ha was worth a 3rd IMO because you're not likely to replace his production with a 4th or worse.

Dude was a first round pick and plays like a first round pick. And he’s still very young. 17 turnovers in 71 career games....

I’ll never understand why picks are so valuable in the NFL but proven players are not.

In the NHL and NBA, picks get tossed around like they’re worthless. Because they kind of are. In the NFL, I get that having picks in general is vital, and that players play right away, but so many still bust.

Dude was a first round pick and plays like a first round pick. And he’s still very young. 17 turnovers in 71 career games....

I’ll never understand why picks are so valuable in the NFL but proven players are not.

In the NHL and NBA, picks get tossed around like they’re worthless. Because they kind of are. In the NFL, I get that having picks in general is vital, and that players play right away, but so many still bust.

He plays like a 1st round Canadian football player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom