NFL 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were playing up the whole time. Jax defense made that possible early on. Bortles didn't commit any turnovers all game.

You can keep doubting them all you want.

Shhhhh, don't interrupt the narrative that the Steelers lost the game because of mistakes. It's not possible that the Jaguars are just good.

What an end. That safety for the Saints sure messed things up. An in-bounds tackle and they win.

Knew that reaction was coming.

Bortles played a great 4th quarter after being pedestrian through 3 (96 pass yards and less than 50% completions thru 3), I give him total props for that.

Steelers coaching decisions are mind boggling (both 4th and shorts, the decision to kick on side). I am quite pleased with the outcome. Especially seeing the vaunted Jags D give up 42, I welcome them with pen arms to Foxboro next Sunday.

And to my point, Bortles was turnover-less. The defense made sure that Jacksonville was playing from ahead and fueling the run game... the whole game.

Jacksonville was in command the whole time. Doubt them all you want ??*♂️ New England should be worried that Jacksonville actually has a defensive player capable of guarding Gronk.

I'm not giving LN7 too much credit for calling the Jags win when he had no faith whatsoever in the Vikings. :wink:

I'm not giving LN7 too much credit for calling the Jags win when he had no faith whatsoever in the Vikings. :wink:

I was so excited that the saints would win, too! I literally just pulled into New Orleans with 5 minutes left in the game and watched the end. Shocking and exciting. I hope the Vikings make it in.

And to my point, Bortles was turnover-less. The defense made sure that Jacksonville was playing from ahead and fueling the run game... the whole game.

Jacksonville was in command the whole time. Doubt them all you want ??*♂️ New England should be worried that Jacksonville actually has a defensive player capable of guarding Gronk.

Keep telling me "doubt them all you want", I never doubted the defense was capable, just noted that Bortles looked terrible passing against Buffalo. He was great as I noted when the game was on the line today.
And I know that the Pats offense will have more difficulty against Jax' D than against Pitt's.
But the Pats' D will have an easier time against Bortles & Co. than it would have against Rapelesberger and Co.
Bring it on.

Shhhhh, don't interrupt the narrative that the Steelers lost the game because of mistakes. It's not possible that the Jaguars are just good.

And as this is clearly directed at me, I give plenty of credit to the Jags and as said above am well aware of how good that defense is, but Pittsburgh's coaching staff still made 3 significant blunders that did affect the outcome (or potential outcome) of the game.

1. Going for it on 4th and 1 at the 20 down 14 early in the game...A. how much would those 3 points have helped later, B. why on earth do you call a toss sweep if you go for it against a defense with that much lateral speed.

2. The second time they go for it on 4th and 1 (less than 1), calling the pass play. Roethlisberger is already throwing Haley under the bus questioning why they didn't QB sneak either time, saying he's "all for" a QB sneak. (plus again they were in FG range, though a longer attempt and later in the game, but still plenty of time on the clock and only down 7 at the time)

3. The on side kick when you are down 7, have 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning.
They stopped the Jags 3 and out after the failed on side kick, but guess what, the Jags are in FG range and go up 10. Pittsburgh them goes down and scores to get within 3 but has only 1 second left. If they kick off and stop the Jags, that TD drive would have tied the game.

Bottom line: for a game that saw 87 points, Jacksonville never trailed. At one point they were up 3 scores.

They were in command. The end score was close, but Pittsburgh was fighting to survive the whole game. Jacksonville was fighting to put the Steelers away.

And as this is clearly directed at me, I give plenty of credit to the Jags and as said above am well aware of how good that defense is, but Pittsburgh's coaching staff still made 3 significant blunders that did affect the outcome (or potential outcome) of the game.

1. Going for it on 4th and 1 at the 20 down 14 early in the game...A. how much would those 3 points have helped later, B. why on earth do you call a toss sweep if you go for it against a defense with that much lateral speed.

2. The second time they go for it on 4th and 1 (less than 1), calling the pass play. Roethlisberger is already throwing Haley under the bus questioning why they didn't QB sneak either time, saying he's "all for" a QB sneak. (plus again they were in FG range, though a longer attempt and later in the game, but still plenty of time on the clock and only down 7 at the time)

3. The on side kick when you are down 7, have 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning.
They stopped the Jags 3 and out after the failed on side kick, but guess what, the Jags are in FG range and go up 10. Pittsburgh them goes down and scores to get within 3 but has only 1 second left. If they kick off and stop the Jags, that TD drive would have tied the game.

They don't call it "monday morning quarterbacking" for nothing, haha.

Not a criticism, btw. We all do it, but when it comes to football, I just always try to assume it comes down to a few plays regardless. Especially when there's "only" 130 regular plays a game or whatever it is. Back when the Seahawks beat the Packers in the NFC Championship during OT, Mike McCarthy got criticized for taking two field goals early on near the goal line and some said it might've cost them the game. All I kept thinking was, "Well, if he went for it and they didn't score, then the criticism would be that he should've taken the easy score and played for overtime."

Bottom line: for a game that saw 87 points, Jacksonville never trailed. At one point they were up 3 scores.

They were in command. The end score was close, but Pittsburgh was fighting to survive the whole game. Jacksonville was fighting to put the Steelers away.

And when the Jags had to fight to put the Steelers away, Bortles played his best quarter of the 8 he's played in the playoffs by a long shot. He was great in the 4th quarter. If he plays that quarter like the previous 7, the Steelers probably win.

For 7 playoff quarters his passing stats were: 21-43, 183 yards and 1 TD.
4th quarter yesterday; 5-6, 118 yards 1TD.

He stepped up at the most important time.

I mean, hey... sometimes a team wins because they're hot and making a run, and sometimes they just happen to have another team's number. We'll see what this is for the Jags in a couple of days. They beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh twice. They've also been fairly under the radar, with other many people giving them a real shot, mostly because they're the Jaguars, and because of Blake Bortles. But hey, that team is pretty damn good.

I give the Jags more a shot than some, as I've thought the Pats have been a little overrated this year compared to previous teams. But the Pats are still at home and still have the greatest coach of all time, so they're clearly still the favorites.

Tom Coughlin, tho

I think the Jags have a very good shot of winning. I feel they play the type of football that you'd need to against the Pats.

Strong running game to control the clock and wear out the defense. And all Bortles really needs to do is manage the game, and make a few key plays (like extending drives on 3rd down). Bortles is pretty mobile too.

They have a very good defense, and should be able to pressure Brady. That's how the Giants took them down. You hit Brady over and over to get him out of rhythm. And if their possessions are limited due to Jags running the ball....there's even more pressure on them

Looking forward to the matchup

Jags certainly need to stay close or play from ahead. If they get down 2 TDs early they could be cooked. If they can play with the lead or be within 1 score, they can hang for the game and have a shot.

Don't be surprised to see Brady try and throw a bomb to Cooks on the Pats' opening offensive play.

I feel like the traditional favorite is always anticipated to "throw a bomb on the opening play," and this never happens.

Jags need to play from in front the whole game or respond quickly to an early Pats lead, otherwise we will be testing Bortles (which might not be pretty).

I know Bortles was pretty awful the first half of the season, but all in all, I still think he has a potential elite future in front of him. He's been so focused on playing responsibly this year that his production has shot through the floor.

i think both games have the potential to be really good this week. two good matchups and all four teams have a chance to win, imo.

i expect eagles-pats, and i fully expect to be triggered real hard with barfing donovan flashbacks throughout the game, and lastly for the intense grudge i held against tom brady for 10 years to come back with a vengeance when he wins another mvp. but i honestly think the jags have a chance to win if they can get a good start like they did against the steelers. excited to see how this all plays out.

It’s interesting that nobody is talking about the Patriots D. After a very rough first month, they have become one of the better defenses in the league, and I think they will be a major factor in this game.

i think both games have the potential to be really good this week. two good matchups and all four teams have a chance to win, imo.

i expect eagles-pats, and i fully expect to be triggered real hard with barfing donovan flashbacks throughout the game, and lastly for the intense grudge i held against tom brady for 10 years to come back with a vengeance when he wins another mvp. but i honestly think the jags have a chance to win if they can get a good start like they did against the steelers. excited to see how this all plays out.

Keep Foles away from the Chunky Soup.

It’s interesting that nobody is talking about the Patriots D. After a very rough first month, they have become one of the better defenses in the league, and I think they will be a major factor in this game.
Well... and this goes to the genius of Belichick... but they're back being one of those bend don't break type defenses. They still give up a ton of yards, and football outsiders has them ranked as the 2nd worst defense in the NFL. They have obvious issues, but Belichick and Patricia have worked their magic to cover them up.

Can keep up their "give up a lot of yards but not a lot of points" thing, be effective in the red zone, and turn Bortles over? Sure. But they could also snap.

Back
Top Bottom