NFL 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's an interesting idea. But would you then be allowed to kick field goals?

I loathe the idea of field goals being an excuse to win a game, but they are effectively half a score. They can't count for nothing. Could always demand a "win by two (halfs)" rule for an immediate end to the game. Otherwise winning score after full OT wins. Discourages the kick but doesn't discredit it.

Football is really complex because of that. Everything we say makes some kind of implication with how things will be played out.

I think it should be 15 straight minutes. Still tied after your (mathematically stupid) fifth quarter? Then yeah let's go all manner of sudden death.

Thing is, you can't take away the sudden death clause. It's more than just "this is OT already." It has a lot to do with the players association, I imagine. These guys don't want to continue playing for a full 15 minutes and potentially then-some. Not out of being lazy... every extra minute they put on there after an exhausting game that's physically damaging puts them one step closer to being unprepared for their next game. More importantly, it makes them more likely to get injured. That's usually the reason we don't see season extensions or lengthy OT rules. They want to avoid playing. Need a system that is minimalistic in regards to time and allows for the game to end before 15 minutes have passed. A guaranteed 15 minutes encourages the team defending a potential lead to keep playing on offense and hold the ball as long as possible, running as many plays as possible.

I figure anyone would play their life out for the Super Bowl. But I have to be realistic.

Again, first time in 51 years. It ain't an issue.

Right but I think what it brings into question is OT in general. Which, most people have questioned prior to this incident. The idea that modern day kickers can boot something from near mid field and that's what decides who wins is a tad bit unfair. The coin toss is so so so important.

Perhaps augmenting OT rules for the playoffs only is what needs to be done.

Right but I think what it brings into question is OT in general. Which, most people have questioned prior to this incident. The idea that modern day kickers can boot something from near mid field and that's what decides who wins is a tad bit unfair. The coin toss is so so so important.

Perhaps augmenting OT rules for the playoffs only is what needs to be done.

In Australia/NZ rugby league is currently first scorer in extra time wins (no scorers and you have a draw/tie). A huge number of the players want it to be a flat 10 minutes. If the people most at risk of getting hurt want a flat 10 minutes, I go with them.

Nothing needs to change.

The game is played in both sides. All Atlanta had to do was make a stop. They didn't. Couldn't even just hold them to a field goal.

We're acting as if a team marching down the field and scoring a touchdown is a common occurrence, and stopping them is just such an impossible thing that we just have to give the other team the ball as well to be fair. That's complete horse shit.

If you want to argue that the college way of doing things is more exciting? OK, you might have a point. Fairer? I disagree.

Make a stop. It's half the game.

Nice language and I doubt you speak for everyone.

thank you, that's very kind. people have complimented me on my speech since i was very young. and i can once again reassure you - in case there were any lingering doubts - that nobody gives a fuck.

the two controversies are complete bullshit. spygate was overblown, and the guy who turned them in has even stated such. deflategate is the stupidest controversy in the history of sports, and if it were any other team, nobody would have given a crap. case in point, the giants accused the steelers of doing it this season, and nobody cared. it was a non story, because it IS a non story. it's made up. fake news. sad!

this is the first i'm even hearing about the giants-steelers thing at all.

I figure anyone would play their life out for the Super Bowl. But I have to be realistic.

Again, first time in 51 years. It ain't an issue.

be thankful they at least eliminated the sudden-death rule. otherwise we would have had about 3 plays to get the pats into field goal range, a kneel-down to line the ball up, and a 30 yard field goal as the end-game climax :|

You're only 17?

;)

image_zpsah31kz3v.jpeg

Yea I don't get staying for another two years. They have opt outs each year.

Play this season in Oakland, for better or worse, and make some improvements to Sam Boyd at the same time... Then move for next season.

Biggest issue I imagine with moving now is the heat in September, which can still be quite oppressive. Maybe the first month of the season has to be night games and road games until they can move indoors, but yea... get moving to Vegas sooner than later. I can't fucking wait to go. I just hope the NFC East is scheduled to play the AFC West that first year out there.

I just hope the NFC East is scheduled to play the AFC West that first year out there.

The Giants play at Oakland this season, so would next play the AFC West in 2021, but that game would be in the swamps of Jersey. So you're first opportunity to see the G-Men in Vegas would come in 2025.

Similar situation for me...

Pats play "at Oakland" this season, though its in Mexico City. So they would host Raiders in 2020, first scheduled game in Vegas would be in 2023 unless they match up in division standings in the interim.

Headache, might want to check the authenticity of that Eli Manning game used athletic supporter you have hanging in your bedroom.
Maybe they can do a DNA test on one of the short curlies that are stuck in there.

A bad look - but I'm going to guess that this is one of those things that lots of athletes/teams do, but they were the ones stupid enough​ to get caught - kinda like video taping signals or deflating balls.

Well Pittsburgh was stupid enough to get caught deflating balls (by your Giants) too, lets not forget. Unless you're Roger Goodell, then you just say, "eh, forget it".

Yeah, normally I feel some kind of compassion even for people like this. But I'm having a hard time finding this sad at all. Good riddance.

Back
Top Bottom