NFL 2015 Part 2: There's a Flag Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaveC I can understand your concerns. But, the last person who would be guilty of these things is Hewson. Granted, his humor isn't PC, but he certainly isn't being malicious. Just having a little light hearted fun. I assure you that his wife doesn't wear a bra and that his dog is gay. :wink:

DaveC I can understand your concerns. But, the last person who would be guilty of these things is Hewson. Granted, his humor isn't PC, but he certainly isn't being malicious. Just having a little light hearted fun. I assure you that his wife doesn't wear a bra and that his dog is gay. :wink:
Right, I'm not trying to offend.

Never questioned the dog, but she may in fact be a lesbian (Lescanine?)

And as for my original post, there is an honest question buried in there...why was Beckham supposedly so bothered by the supposed homophobic slurs? It reminds me a tad of the recent Bill Kennedy story, who came out after asshat Rondo directed slurs his way.

Because Coughlin's on the hot seat. Andy Reid let DeSean and Shady get away with pretty much anything they wanted to in his last few years because he too was on the hot seat.

And as for my original post, there is an honest question buried in there...why was Beckham supposedly so bothered by the supposed homophobic slurs? It reminds me a tad of the recent Bill Kennedy story, who came out after asshat Rondo directed slurs his way.

And here's an honest question for you...why the fuck does it matter? He's not allowed to be upset if someone calls him a fag and he's straight? If he gets really pissed off he must like men? Who gives a shit anyways? I don't understand what you're getting at here at all.

Regardless of my sexual orientation/gender/whatever, I too would be very upset if someone called me a sexual slur while I was trying to do my job.

And I think Dave's point is that you're trying to insult Beckham by comparing him to a woman.

Exactly correct. I'm not trying to white knight here, but not having to wade through shit like this is exactly the reason I come here to read NFL discussion instead of choosing any of the 100,000 other, more active message boards. It's just not necessary.

Sexism and homophobia rolled into an attempt at an "insult" nobody over the age of 15 should find funny anyways. What's not to love?

That's funny, because I'm gay and I didn't pick up even a hint of homophobia.

Adele writes incredibly sappy music filled with emotion. It's humorous, to me, go watch OBJ on the field act like a fool, enraged with every emotion. Dancing like a clown when he scores a touchdown.

And I think Dave's point is that you're trying to insult Beckham by comparing him to a woman.

I get that, and I didn't see it that way at all. His first name is similar to Adele, and his behavior was as emotionally charged (in the wrong way) as Adele's music is (in the right way).

Last edited:
Adele writes incredibly sappy music filled with emotion. It's humorous, to me, go watch OBJ on the field act like a fool, enraged with every emotion. Dancing like a clown when he scores a touchdown.

I get that, and I didn't see it that way at all. His first name is similar to Adele, and his behavior was as emotionally charged (in the wrong way) as Adele's music is (in the right way).

That was the only thing I thought he was referring to.

:shrug: whatever then, carry on.

Sorry it bothered you. As I said, no intent other than humor.

As for the question about why he got so upset, I heard a few former pro athletes discuss this on the radio and ask the same thing, basically saying that it's something that happens regularly on fields and in locker rooms, sometimes in jest, sometimes to try and tweak an opponent, and in general nobody is truly bothered by it. (Whether or not its acceptable behavior is a different argument, but lets face it an NFL field or locker room is a bit different from most other components of society) Maybe Beckham is hyper sensitive, but my thought is that he (and the Giants) was using it (as well as the bat stuff) as a hindsight excuse once he crossed the line and realized a suspension was coming. So the real question was if he's not gay, why be so bothered by it....the answer is he wasn't but was claiming it to try and get the suspension overturned, and how far would that ruse go.

There have been rumors about Beckham since he was at LSU. Whether they're true or not, who gives a crap. That players use these rumors as a way to get under his skin is sad, but obvious.

Regardless of whether or not there is any truth behind these rumors, Beckham is clearly bothered by it and allows people to easily get under his skin. The more he shows it, the more it'll happen. It's like middle school all over again. He needs to be able to keep his cool and not lash out every time or this is going to continue happening. Easier said than done, and I don't know whether or not there are any inner demons that he's fighting on top of fighting his opponents. It's really sad all around.

Wow, a rare mistake by the Pats. Electing to kick when they won the coin toss in OT and the Jets score a TD on their first drive down the field.

Why not? A division title nobody saw coming, a QB that looks like their future, some other great young players to continue to build around.

I'd be excited if I were a Redskins fan.
I wasn't responding to your post, that was just my reaction to this Eagles season. More of a "why do the Eagles exist" sort of "why."

Back
Top Bottom