NFL 2015 Part 2: There's a Flag Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I don't get is arguing it. Look, I feel bad about people being injured, but at this point, we in general know that concussions lead to problems. People know that before they get involved in the sport. It's a risk. One I honestly don't know that I advise people to take, but I'll still watch regardless.

Why the NFL seems to think it's in their best interest to fight, instead of embracing a way to still have football, but make it safer, I don't know.

It has to be for legal reasons... As in their lawyers have told them that if they just outright came out and said "yea, of course we knew" they would be liable for huge damages.

I agree with you that it's silly to argue about. Everyone knows what they're getting into by now and has the right to step away or never get involved in the first place. But people have always known that football can be debilitating towards your body and mind and it hasn't stopped many yet.

Which I believe absolves them of legal responsibility, actually. If it was in the contracts that they're not liable to injuries like that, I'm pretty sure it's considered a line of work risk.

Sent from my XT1575 using U2 Interference mobile app

One way or another those lawsuits will come eventually. I would think it would be better for the NFL to get ahead of them and try to work it out in a way that could minimize the damage and garner some goodwill, but hey, IANAL. :shrug:

That might be the worst acronym I've ever seen...

Sent from my XT1575 using U2 Interference mobile app

There's a difference between what you guys are talking about and their active role in covering it up, which is what that article is talking about. They can't cop to having spent 15-20 years screwing with the data for their own gain.

There's a difference between what you guys are talking about and their active role in covering it up, which is what that article is talking about. They can't cop to having spent 15-20 years screwing with the data for their own gain.

They need to fix it now before it's too late, I think is my point. They're going to have to pay, at this point. They fucked up for too long. But in general? They're not at fault for anything but this absurd negligence. It's *not* their fault that sports cause concussions. It's their responsibility to provide the safest potential environment for the players. It's their responsibility to continue research into better helmets, and the best set of rules that doesn't compromise the game, but also protects the players.

I guess what I'm describing is a perfect world where they were transparent from the start. Never denying anything, and completely being open about the dangers from the beginning. Should they have done that, I'd say they'd never be responsible for the concussions.

So I guess the Rams after fleecing the Redskins a few years ago in the RG3 trade wanted to know what it felt like to be on the receiving end of the fleecing.

As frustrated as I get with Ted Thompson sometimes, today is one of those days that I'm glad he's the Packers' GM.

Yikes. Again, I get so pissed at Ted Thompson for being so conservative but at least I know he'll never blow 5 draft picks on a QB who may or may not turn out to be great.

Back
Top Bottom